Personal Finance

Does supplmentary card holders get hard credit check?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2013 7:09 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1500 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto

Does supplmentary card holders get hard credit check?

Just wondering if supplementary card holders will get a hard credit check when primary users add them to their account?

I recall adding Capital one supplementary, it was pretty fast and does not look like it went thru credit bureau for checking
7 replies
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely not any credit check at all because the supplementary card holder has absolutely no responsibility to pay back any of his purchases. It is simply permission by the card holder to let someone else use his credit for which he is 100 percent responsible for. That's how children can have credit cards with their names on them. A supplementary card is not a credit product for the person who holds it. It really is 'free money' given to them by the owner if the credit card.

Now if you are asking about joint credit card holders that is a different story.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3295 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto
Right, definitely no credit check. When I added my wife as supplemental to one of my cards, they basically just asked for her name and that's it. Not even enough info for them to do the credit check if they wanted to.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4548 posts
1245 upvotes
I called Chase just 2 days ago asking for a supplementary Amazon.ca card for my wife and I specifically asked whether they would need to do a credit check on my wife and CRS said no.
Jan 19, 2007
278 posts
4 upvotes
no they won't = primary card holder takes the credit check and responsiblity.
" Relationships: there are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous ;) " - Carrie Bradshaw
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2720 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
Supposedly, BMO actually does a hardcheck (to verify information) when you add a supplementary user (according to an RFD post)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5525 posts
1712 upvotes
Nope. Once MBNA had a promo on SC where they gave you 20$ per card, up to twice. I got 2 under stupid names like Bozo Theclown and D!ck Tracy. Next time I called in for other reason, CSR asked whether I just wanted to cancel those since they were clearly fake and I said yes, since by that time I had already got the 40$ credit :D

PS to RFD : D!ck is an actual name, usually short for Richard. So, yeah...
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2720 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
WHO wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 3:29 pm
Nope. Once MBNA had a promo on SC where they gave you 20$ per card, up to twice. I got 2 under stupid names like Bozo Theclown and D!ck Tracy. Next time I called in for other reason, CSR asked whether I just wanted to cancel those since they were clearly fake and I said yes, since by that time I had already got the 40$ credit :D

PS to RFD : D!ck is an actual name, usually short for Richard. So, yeah...
lol did the CSR actually say the "since they were clearly fake [names]" part, or did they only ask if you wanted to cancel the cards? :P

P.S. for supplementary cards, what info is needed for the secondary user usually? Name, Address, Phone number, DOB?