• Dec 7th, 2012 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
May 29, 2012
263 posts
34 upvotes
YALE

Does TD Waterhouse offer good GIC rates

their highest rate seems to be canadian tire bank at 2.35 semi-annual. they seem to only have gics from banks.
H
Why doesnt RFD list out the rates for GIC's??? I only see RRSP's.
17 replies
Aug 10, 2008
404 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
spuzzum wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 10:44 pm
Why doesnt RFD list out the rates for GIC's??? I only see RRSP's.
maybe you can be first and start that thread then.
[OP]
May 29, 2012
263 posts
34 upvotes
YALE
actng wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 12:52 am
I'm not aware TD Waterhouse offering *any* GICs. They resell other corporations' GICs but they have none to offer.
Did I say they offered in-house gic's???
[OP]
May 29, 2012
263 posts
34 upvotes
YALE
sctfung wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:09 am
maybe you can be first and start that thread then.
I think it is around somewhere. Shouldn't
be this hard to find.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14297 posts
602 upvotes
Scarborough
spuzzum wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:43 am
"Does TD Waterhouse offer good GIC rates"

If you know anything about brokerages, you know they don't "offer" any GIC rates.

Post a dumb question and you're going to get a dumb response.
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2707 posts
298 upvotes
spuzzum wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:43 am
Yes, in your title. "Does TD Waterhouse offer good GIC rates".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2638 upvotes
Vancouver
Give the OP a break, the title could be interpreted either way. Actually TD Waterhouse does offer TD Bank GICs which are sort-of in-house. But more generally you can buy a wide variety of GICs through TD Waterhouse, with the usual range of term/risk/return. It would be hard for anyone to keep with them all on RFD because the offerings change too often. Search the usual online sources, e.g.: http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Pa ... ndicator=R
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14297 posts
602 upvotes
Scarborough
the poor grasp of both financial knowledge and english shows the OP is not qualified to lead a topic in this area of discussion.

it (OP) doesn't understand also that GIC rates fluctuate on a daily basis
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2343 posts
355 upvotes
My experience with TD Waterhouse and other brokerages is that the GIC rates offered by the brokerages are a little bit better than those offered if you go directly to the insitutions themselves. For example, a TD GIC at TD Waterhouse will have a slightly better GIC rate than if you purchase a TD GIC for the same term at TD Bank. Someone explained to me one time that at the brokerages you get "wholesale" rates whereas at the banks themselves you are getting "retail" rates.
[OP]
May 29, 2012
263 posts
34 upvotes
YALE
Td Waterhouse had a list of about 10 gic offerings on their site. When i think about it ,though, i used to deal with scotia mcleod and they offered virtually every gic so maybe waterhouse has a similar selection. I know that you can always get an extra .5% at most financial institutions by simply asking. I switched from gic's to bonds/zero coupon bonds etc several years ago because they offered a better rate than Gics for comparable duration/credit risk and you avoided the hassle of negotiating with banks for higher rates. However, GIC's appear to be offering better returns at this point. I want my self-directed rrsp at a brokerage that makes available gics with a competitive rate of return.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
4757 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 11:02 am
the poor grasp of both financial knowledge and english shows the OP is not qualified to lead a topic in this area of discussion.

it (OP) doesn't understand also that GIC rates fluctuate on a daily basis
Referring to a person as "it" definitely shows your English skills. Ha!
× < >