Shopping Discussion

Does UPS (and others) discourage you from ordering from Amazon/other online retailers

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2014 11:35 am

Poll: ...

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes

Does UPS (and others) discourage you from ordering from Amazon/other online retailers

Winkle wrote:
Jan 4th, 2014 6:29 am
Check the shipping rates between the courier services and UPS is the cheapest, hence why so many companies (Amazon, Apple, Google etc.) use them for shipping... you get what you pay for.
Ripped from this thread:
http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=1431206

We all seem to agree that shipping company antics (mainly UPS but also others) are a pain but does it go to the extent of actually NOT ordering online and buyjng retail so you don't have to hope a package is left on your front lawn for anyone to pinch?

Im voting "sometimes" depending on the retailer, price and how easy (or hard) it is to get the item at a retail store.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1352 posts
91 upvotes
No because you get to know your local courier if you order once a month or so. Most likely your house falls under a route that is run by the same individual all year round (except off days). So no, it doesn't matter to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
Only if I ts being shipped from outside of canada
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2732 posts
1628 upvotes
Montreal
If we are talking about order from inside Canada, no. UPS delivers a lot quicker than CP. If amazon ship on Monday I always get it by Tuesday (assuming from their ON warehouse). CP can easily take 5 days.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2015 upvotes
Nowhere
jzmtl wrote:
Jan 4th, 2014 3:05 pm
If we are talking about order from inside Canada, no. UPS delivers a lot quicker than CP. If amazon ship on Monday I always get it by Tuesday (assuming from their ON warehouse). CP can easily take 5 days.
In my case, UPS takes longer. In most cases, the package travels past my house to Concord and then has to come back. Canada Post is more direct and that saves a day.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1819 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
I don't mind UPS if I am not going to incur brokerage fees. I like that they have a pick up location fairly close to me so I can pick it up if i miss delivery. Some others have hard to come by depots where you have to trek out to Etobicoke to pick your package up (I.e. Purolator)
May 28, 2012
10217 posts
2382 upvotes
Saskatoon
I check online whether a particular company ships with a courier that charges brokerage. I will only go with them if there is no other option, and sometimes it's enough for me to change my mind about buying an item.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Due to my experiences with UPS, I would likely never order anything large/bulky or expensive from Amazon again unless they can guarantee that Canada Post is delivering the package.

In my case, due to my location, both UPS and Canada Post, 90% of the time, will deliver the package one business day after they've picked it up from the distribution centre even with the free shipping options offered by the retailers so speed has never been an issue. Canada Post always leaves the package either in the community mailbox or at a post office that's less then 10 minutes away by car, which I would rather they do unlike UPS who has left every single package they've delivered on my front porch, exposed to the elements and any passerby all day. Does not matter if the package is marked as requiring a signature either, they do the same thing. They don't even bother knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell either. You can call and complain every time, they'll apologize and say it won't happen again but nothing ever changes.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Feb 26, 2009
750 posts
124 upvotes
Not at all. I generally have my packages shipped to the office where we have daily UPS pickup and delivery.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4190 posts
1462 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
I think OP was reading my mind when he made this thread.

I JUST was eyeing something on Amazon.ca, but decided not to buy because I don't want to deal with UPS. For me, I am 100% guaranteed to miss UPS during the day, and I have no alternate delivery location. That means I have to drive into Calgary through rush-hour Friday afternoon traffic to get to the depot to pick up the package. It amounts to a 3-4 hour drive, round trip. Outside of the rush-hour window, I cannot go as they are not open (or I am at work).

I'm tempted to try the "Box" trick that Star posted, but I'm afraid it will lead me to another one of those awful drives...

*Note: Purolator and Fedex both have local drop-off points I can pick packages up. UPS is just too cheap...
Aug 30, 2008
849 posts
117 upvotes
ON
Right now where I live, the UPS pick-up is pretty close to me, so I've been okay with that. For some reason, I used to have packages going to the warehouse in the industrial areas, and then suddenly all my UPS packages got re-routed to a nice location close to me in a retail shop of some sort.

I haven't ordered from DELL though. I think they're the ones that use Purolator? Anyway, I went to pick up a package that was being held for me and they shipped it back to the sender before they were supposed to. :/ Even said on the notice I still had time. It was bad because their warehouse was super far away; otherwise I wouldn't have cared as much as it was just a small item.

I wish everyone would just use Canada Post or at least make it clear which shipping company they are going to use. I guess you can always ask, but sometimes with web orders you just want to order quickly and be done with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4190 posts
1462 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
stardustcross wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 12:09 am
at least make it clear which shipping company they are going to use
This

So many just won't tell you - even if you do ask!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2644 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
has anyone lost their parcel with the box trick?

can anyone give example of the box trick? thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d