Shopping Discussion

Does WalMart Canada have a $4 Prescription Drugs Program.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2008 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes

Does WalMart Canada have a $4 Prescription Drugs Program.

I remember about a year ago they announced the program on the news here in Canada but it seems like the program is only available in the USA. Here is the link to the program...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=546834

I can't find any information on the program in Canada, I thought it was supposed to be for all wal-mart locations including Canada but there is nothing that I found after doing research. Even if the price in Canada was $5 if you include the dollar conversion rate I wouldn't mind but looking at it here the dispensing fee by itself is $8 which is a rip, I guess the states get better deals since they are so big.

So does walmart have it in Canada or not and are there any other places to get cheap drugs?
11 replies
Dec 31, 1969
supsx wrote:
Nov 20th, 2008 5:45 pm
I remember about a year ago they announced the program on the news here in Canada but it seems like the program is only available in the USA. Here is the link to the program...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=546834

I can't find any information on the program in Canada, I thought it was supposed to be for all wal-mart locations including Canada but there is nothing that I found after doing research. Even if the price in Canada was $5 if you include the dollar conversion rate I wouldn't mind but looking at it here the dispensing fee by itself is $8 which is a rip, I guess the states get better deals since they are so big.

So does walmart have it in Canada or not and are there any other places to get cheap drugs?
LOL - You think the $8 fee is a "rip"? Are you aware of the differences between the states and Canada when it comes to health care?
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
Well we pay for healthcare in taxes, I am talking about drugs not debating on healthcare costs here and there.
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Nepean
supsx wrote:
Nov 20th, 2008 5:59 pm
Well we pay for healthcare in taxes, I am talking about drugs not debating on healthcare costs here and there.
In some cases here the gov does pay a % of the meds.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
Costco charges only $4.11 for dispensing fee and you do not need a membership to get your prescription filled.

On a side note, I do agree $8 dispensing fee is expensive because my pharmacist still charge us $5 :cheesygri
;)
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
molala wrote:
Nov 21st, 2008 4:29 am
Costco charges only $4.11 for dispensing fee and you do not need a membership to get your prescription filled.

On a side note, I do agree $8 dispensing fee is expensive because my pharmacist still charge us $5 :cheesygri
Humm sounds good, what do you say to the person in the front door?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2008 12:15 am
Humm sounds good, what do you say to the person in the front door?
Just show them your prescription and you are all good. :)
;)
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
18 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 20th, 2008 5:45 pm
It doesn't exist in Canada, and it's unlikely to do so anytime soon. Generic drugs in Canada are on average more expensive than generics in the US. (Unlike non-generics where they tend to be cheaper.)

There are two main reasons for this. First, there's not much competition between manufactures of generics in Canada. Two manufactures make more than half of all generic drugs sold in Canada. In the US, there are many more manufactures.

Second, in most (all?) provinces the maximum price of each generic drug is negotiated by the province. Because of the lack of competition each manufacture tends to sell their drugs to the pharmacies near or at the max. The pharmacy will then sell the drop to the customer at the max rate and then add on their dispensing fee.

(At least that's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I got something wrong.)

As well WalMart in the states is under a lot of political pressure because they don't provide great health care insurance for their employees. This is a way to try to improve their image and try to make sure no one legislates them to provide better insurance. They are losing money on this program, although they do make some of it back if the customer buys other products while in the store. And they probably just figured that the cost is worthwhile, if it avoids them having to implement better insurance for their employees.

So, since Walmart isn't under the same political pressure in Canada, they really have little to gain from this program, so I wouldn't expect to see anything like it anytime soon.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
Oh well Walmart will lose my business, went to Costco today saved Maybe 15-20% overall compared to walmart. I just walked in the front door, hiding to the side of others showing there card at the door person pretending I didn't see the person looking for your membership card.

The pharmicist didn't ask for my membership card when I dropped off my prescription but asked when I went to pay, I told her I thought for prescriptions don't need membership lady seemed somewhat mad but didn't say anything bad to me, she went to talk to someone about that a minute later came back and said ok. When I left out the store door just showed receipt and was ok to leave.

I was in and out in 25 minutes and while waiting for the prescription I checked out the free food samples that you get to eat and checked out some prices on things I could buy there in bulk to save if I were to get a membership. In the end I don't see what the big deal is with this store it would be the same price buying elsewhere give or take no more then a dollar. Membership is a rip, it should be open to the public in my opinion that and its a bit far away so gas might not be worth it unless its you buy drugs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2008 9:22 pm
Oh well Walmart will lose my business, went to Costco today saved Maybe 15-20% overall compared to walmart. I just walked in the front door, hiding to the side of others showing there card at the door person pretending I didn't see the person looking for your membership card.

The pharmicist didn't ask for my membership card when I dropped off my prescription but asked when I went to pay, I told her I thought for prescriptions don't need membership lady seemed somewhat mad but didn't say anything bad to me, she went to talk to someone about that a minute later came back and said ok. When I left out the store door just showed receipt and was ok to leave.

I was in and out in 25 minutes and while waiting for the prescription I checked out the free food samples that you get to eat and checked out some prices on things I could buy there in bulk to save if I were to get a membership. In the end I don't see what the big deal is with this store it would be the same price buying elsewhere give or take no more then a dollar. Membership is a rip, it should be open to the public in my opinion that and its a bit far away so gas might not be worth it unless its you buy drugs.
Next time, don't have to hide behind people. Just show your prescription and they'll let you in.

As for Costco products, I really like buying their steak. They have great prices on OTC. I spend $4.99 and got 240 tablets of Vitamin D, which is AWESOME!!!!!! Cos the Jamison one costs around $5 for 90 tablets. They also have some products that are unique and can't be beat. They also have great price on books though the varities are limited. I bought Dean Koontz's new novel for $6.99 last week instead of $10.99 cover price. Sometimes they have awesome price on sale item and in-store sale. Of course, the food sampling part is always the best.To me, their memberships worth every dollar.

I have the Executive Membership which I share with a friend. I only paid the membership for the first year and then the rebate pays off my renewal. If you don't think you would buy enough the make the membership worth it, you could ask a friend who is a member to pick up some gift card for you. You don't need the membership to use the gift card. That's what I'm going to give a friend who always wanted to go to Costco but couldn't afford the membership. I'm going to get him $10 x 3 gift cards so he could make 3 visits there.
;)
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
I saw th gift cards on the website but I thought it was $25 minimum but if it is $10 per gift card that would be good but then won't that mean you can only spend $10 max?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2008 7:43 pm
I saw th gift cards on the website but I thought it was $25 minimum but if it is $10 per gift card that would be good but then won't that mean you can only spend $10 max?
If you know someone that has a memebership and could purchase it for you in store, it could be in any denomination. You could use the $10 on the gift card then pay the rest by cash, debit, or AE. to get away with getting a membersip
;)
× < >