Students

Does years of study matter for undergrad?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 1:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts

Does years of study matter for undergrad?

I'm starting my first year at UTM for CompSci and I was wondering if staying at school for, "7 years" for undergrad would be a problem for hiring and job application and, in total; future? Would any one question it and does it damage the quality of my resume?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
Considering most employers seem to struggle with asking for simple proof of degree, I'd say no.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
The longer you are in school the older you get without jumping into the workforce.
Also the larger your OSAP becomes if you are on OSAP.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself; is this a benefit to me, or the the school?
Don't become a lifer.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
maybenotbutok wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 4:00 pm
I'm starting my first year at UTM for CompSci and I was wondering if staying at school for, "7 years" for undergrad would be a problem for hiring and job application and, in total; future? Would any one question it and does it damage the quality of my resume?
If you can code well, it's not going to matter at all. If you can code well, you can walk into your Google interview looking like you just rolled out of your dorm bedroom and have aspergers and they'll still hire you.

Focus on your coding ability and building high quality, intriguing software. Don't do it just to complete assignments, but to pursue interesting engineering projects. Code well and elite companies don't care due to the fact that most people can't code well.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1207 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
It will of course depends on the reason why it takes you twice the time. If you have a good one I don't think it will be a problem.

On the other hand I don't think most employers will see it as a 'positive'. An extra year is pretty common. Three extra years is a whole different story. Most employers can't help but to question whether you will handle your future job assignments the same way.

Time-to-market is the name of the game of today's industry. Most companies aren't investing in multi-years projects anymore. If it takes you significantly more time than others to deliver the same result (or even better result) you will have a hard time surviving in most high tech industries.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
When you graduate, you better have a good reason to explain to employers why it took 7 years. Your ability to learn would be in doubt.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:57 pm
When you graduate, you better have a good reason to explain to employers why it took 7 years. Your ability to learn would be in doubt.
Yes, come up with an elaborate explanation for the timeline, then watch in awe as they completely fail to do any sort of due diligence to prove you even have a degree.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
csi123 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:25 am
It will of course depends on the reason why it takes you twice the time. If you have a good one I don't think it will be a problem.

On the other hand I don't think most employers will see it as a 'positive'. An extra year is pretty common. Three extra years is a whole different story. Most employers can't help but to question whether you will handle your future job assignments the same way.

Time-to-market is the name of the game of today's industry. Most companies aren't investing in multi-years projects anymore. If it takes you significantly more time than others to deliver the same result (or even better result) you will have a hard time surviving in most high tech industries.
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:57 pm
It won't matter if he's a good programmer. A couple of impressive github projects, maybe a good rank on hackerrank, and it won't matter. I doubt it even comes up and if he does any excuse like, "I was discovering myself" would pass. Whether he passes or fails will depend on his technical interviewing ability. Unless he's a complete *******, everything else won't matter at the top companies.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
[OP]
Jun 16, 2017
5 posts
Thank you for your reply, but; do you know any real life cases/scenarios?
I'm asking this just to be sure and have total respect for your opinion, just so you know.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 1:34 pm
It won't matter if he's a good programmer. A couple of impressive github projects, maybe a good rank on hackerrank, and it won't matter. I doubt it even comes up and if he does any excuse like, "I was discovering myself" would pass. Whether he passes or fails will depend on his technical interviewing ability. Unless he's a complete *******, everything else won't matter at the top companies.
Good isn't good enough. Good programmers are plenty, and top companies don't just want good programmers. If he's so good and only goal is to get a job, he wouldn't need go to to university to begin with and then take 7 years to complete the program.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:55 pm
Good isn't good enough. Good programmers are plenty, and top companies don't just want good programmers. If he's so good and only goal is to get a job, he wouldn't need go to to university to begin with and then take 7 years to complete the program.
Good programmers are plenty? Not at all.

Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft have six digit job openings everyday (with great benefits and bonuses that take you over $200,000 if not far more after year 3, 4). The recruiters can't find enough qualified programmers to fill these spots.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:40 pm
Good programmers are plenty? Not at all.

Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft have six digit job openings everyday (with great benefits and bonuses that take you over $200,000 if not far more after year 3, 4). The recruiters can't find enough qualified programmers to fill these spots.
Those openings require more than just "good" which are few. Good is really just above average.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:35 pm
Those openings require more than just "good" which are few. Good is really just above average.
It's well known among those who conduct technical interviews that most people are just bad. Meaning, they can't even answer a simple fizzbuzz test. Some go even further and say most CS graduates can't program at all. https://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant- ... s-program/
Jan 14, 2010
514 posts
102 upvotes
Many people just put the grad year on a resume, so a potential employer wouldn't even notice. For example:

Education
Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) 2025
University of Toronto
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
As someone who used to do team lead/hiring for a small software development shop... Given two equal candidates, I'd lean towards the one who didn't take almost twice as long to complete their degree. If there wasn't a good reason for it, it would demonstrate a potential lack of focus, work ethic, interest, etc. Strong CS skills are good, but software development projects have more than enough issues meeting deadlines without throwing in a developer who can't stay on task.

Having a good reason may be having to work while going to school, family issues, even taking a semester or two off to travel. Going slow because you can't keep up or can't be bothered to put in an effort would not be a good reason.

Just my $0.02. Oh, and yes, most people just seem to put in the graduation year. But for people looking for a job just out of university, your transcripts are also important (since you don't have any real work experience, typically), and they will show the timeline.

C