Students

Does years of study matter for undergrad?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 1:53 pm
Nov 19, 2014
853 posts
237 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:27 pm
As someone who used to do team lead/hiring for a small software development shop... Given two equal candidates, I'd lean towards the one who didn't take almost twice as long to complete their degree. If there wasn't a good reason for it, it would demonstrate a potential lack of focus, work ethic, interest, etc. Strong CS skills are good, but software development projects have more than enough issues meeting deadlines without throwing in a developer who can't stay on task.

Having a good reason may be having to work while going to school, family issues, even taking a semester or two off to travel. Going slow because you can't keep up or can't be bothered to put in an effort would not be a good reason.

Just my $0.02. Oh, and yes, most people just seem to put in the graduation year. But for people looking for a job just out of university, your transcripts are also important (since you don't have any real work experience, typically), and they will show the timeline.

C
I wouldn't know about small Canadian software development shops. I worked at a Fortune 50 company that does not recruit out of Canadian universities and a major, and a tech/software company with market cap of over $20 billion.

Neither one asked me for my transcript. I've interviewed at other similar companies and none of them did. Some of my friends have been asked for their transcripts at similarly situated companies (after being hired, for data collection purposes). I know 1 person that went from a Fortune 50 tech company to a small software development company (would be considered large in Canada), and they asked for her grades and she refused, and they offered her anyways (she refused the offer).

Small software firms are full of nepotism anyways. They probably don't even have a real HR department.

If you've been asked for your transcript, you probably didn't do so well on your interview. If you did well on your technical interview, you shouldn't have to worry about that.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."