Pets

Does your cat react to catnip?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 12:53 am
Tags:

Poll: Does your cat react to catnip?

• Total votes: 27. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

59%
No

30%
Yes & No (have more than 1 cat and some do, some don't)

11%
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Does your cat react to catnip?

An interesting question as some studies say over 1/3 of cats (depending on the local population) don't have the receptors for catnip (mimics a sexual pheromone apparently) and thus don't react to catnip.

My B-i-L's "Siamese" reacted very ecstatically to catnip the first time we got her a plant. Didn't react so much on the next plant so maybe it was the catnip. Other cats we've cat sat have respond to dry catnip.

Currently we have two young male ragdolls (from same breeder but not close relations) and both don't seem to. We have lots growing in the garden and they think it smells interesting but no reaction otherwise. Same thing to canned/packaged cat nip.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Over the years with many cats, very few reacted to catnip.

Now, give a cat a Greek olive from a salad, and that's funnier to watch than any other reaction. We discovered this accidentally a few years ago.
The cat bites into it, starts rolling and stretching, sniffs all around the area, chews on it a bit more - they always leave the pit. Often the cat will go back to the spot later, do all the crazy rolling over the area where it had been.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
Nope, mines (strays, unknown breeds, American shorthaired of some kind) has not had any reaction other then wanting to put their paws on/in the catnip. They are 18 months old.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
One of my cats is an addict. Normally a very docile cat that likes to just chill and watch the other cat play... but if he smells the nip, he will climb up your legs and body to get it.

The other doesn't really care about catnip too much, but does prefer to nuzzle up to catnip scented toys vs regular toys.

They are brothers from the same litter. They have completely opposite personalities, so this doesn't surprise me.

EDIT: My 2 cats after some catnip... I'll let you guess which one is the addict.
Last edited by joeyjoejoe on Oct 16th, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 24, 2018
135 posts
72 upvotes
Hamilton
natalka wrote: Over the years with many cats, very few reacted to catnip.

Now, give a cat a Greek olive from a salad, and that's funnier to watch than any other reaction. We discovered this accidentally a few years ago.
The cat bites into it, starts rolling and stretching, sniffs all around the area, chews on it a bit more - they always leave the pit. Often the cat will go back to the spot later, do all the crazy rolling over the area where it had been.
I'll have to try that with mine :)

Mine is a little over a year old and he kinda-sorta likes it when I sprinkle his scratchboard with it, but the attention only lasts about 10 seconds or so...
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9312 posts
6334 upvotes
Vancouver
My cat only reacts to catnip if it's a brand new toy and only one-time use. After that she doesn't react to it any more
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Spoke to some neighbours and they say the cats have to be mature ~ 18 months or so. I'll try again with fresh catnip in the spring.

Another thing we found, after hearing about it from a friend, is that some cats have the receptor for the amino acids (ripe) cantaloupes have. Our older cat loves ripe cantaloupe, almost almost than he likes regular proteins. The other one doesn't have the receptor for it. Then again, the younger one meows a lot whenever we're eating roast lamb and he'll eat it, even with rosemary and garlic or chinese spices (cumin, coriander, szechuan "pepper". ginger, turmeric, 5 spice, cinnamon).....
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Mar 12, 2018
416 posts
624 upvotes
One didn't until she was well over a year old, the other I can't remember how old she was but it was pretty early. Both go nuts for it, but one also reacts the same way if she smells cologne or bleach. When I clean the bathroom with anything with bleach in it, I close the door and turn on the fan, but even if she catches the slightest whiff she'll sit outside the door writhing all over the carpet in ecstasy and she'll do the same if anyone visits wearing strong cologne.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)