Off Topic Archive

Locked: Does your criminal record slate get wiped clean when you turn 18?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2010 11:58 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 31, 2009
35 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Does your criminal record slate get wiped clean when you turn 18?

Say you have a minor criminal record from when you were 16, does it show up on your criminal record when you turn 18.
Share:
99 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 5:33 pm
I'd forget about applying to the RCMP or CSIS if I were you.
No, no, let him apply. It'll be...entertaining. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3417 posts
86 upvotes
Halton
It wont show up for Jobs etc but the government will ALWAYS have you on record. Applying for the police or anything like that may be tough but you never know.

RCMP will turn you down though. :razz:
Enjoy Life
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28262 posts
802 upvotes
Bad grammar should be a crime.
Hail Eris!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5577 posts
163 upvotes
NeverEverTip wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 5:26 pm
Say you have a minor criminal record from when you were 16, does it show up on your criminal record when you turn 18.
My memory's a little fuzzy on this. Take this (as with everything you read on the internet) with a grain of salt.

For youth convictions, the conviction does not automatically disappear when you turn 18. What actually happens is that after you have completed your sentence (community service, jail, fine payment, etc), a certain period of time must pass before the conviction is then sealed. The more serious the offence, the longer it takes for it to be sealed. I can't remember the exact lengths of times right now, sorry.

That being said, as others have stated in this thread, just because your youth record is sealed does not mean that no one can access it. RCMP, CSIS, the police, etc, will all have at least some access to your youth record.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
28 upvotes
It doesn't dissapear.

It can be closed/sealed or possibly left open.

If you have one minor youth conviction, you will need to disclose it if you apply to a police service. Generally it won't be a problem if you have changed your life, and are upfront about it.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote:
Apr 13th, 2009 5:47 am
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
4792 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Mattones wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 5:46 pm
It wont show up for Jobs etc but the government will ALWAYS have you on record. Applying for the police or anything like that may be tough but you never know.

RCMP will turn you down though. :razz:
Ebola wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 6:22 pm
It doesn't dissapear.

It can be closed/sealed or possibly left open.

If you have one minor youth conviction, you will need to disclose it if you apply to a police service. Generally it won't be a problem if you have changed your life, and are upfront about it.

Nope, they physically destroy youth records once they reach non-disclosure. The only exceptions are serious, violent offences (murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, etc.).
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1105 posts
82 upvotes
Markham
It depends on what type of criminal record check you are required to get. If it's just a regular one and you have been pardoned for your criminal offense it won't show up I believe. If they ask for a vulnerable sector background check then it will show up as that shows everything.
Journey of a Foodie: The Search For Culinary Excellence.

Recently Reviewed: Ambiyan delivers on an Indian Experience
Recently Reviewed: Tiny Tom Donuts Markham Store
New Post: A ranking of poulet rotis in Paris Part Deux
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15682 posts
1215 upvotes
GTA West
NeverEverTip wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 5:26 pm
There's at least a 50% chance this account is a banned troll who as re-registered under a new account.

I am surprised that someone would go so far as to use the troll topic of not tipping as a forum screen name.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Nov 13, 2005
665 posts
I had some run ins with the law when I was younger, I remember being afraid of the same thing so I did my research.

An important thing to distinguish between is a criminal record, which occurs when you commit a crime after 18, and a youth criminal justice record, which is for crimes commited before 18.

Your youth record is completely invisible to everyone except police. If a job required a police check, you will show up fine, no one sees the youth record but law enforcement.

For summary conviction offences, it takes 3 years after completetion of any punishment set forth by the courts for your youth record to be sealed. For indictable offences it is 5 years.

Now a reminder, if you commit a crime after the age of 18, your youth record becomes open again, and remains open forever after the fact.

PS. I don't believe you need a pardon for youth offences if your record is sealed, because at that point I am fairly certain the police cant see it
[OP]
Banned
Dec 31, 2009
35 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 6:31 pm
There's at least a 50% chance this account is a banned troll who as re-registered under a new account.

I am surprised that someone would go so far as to use the troll topic of not tipping as a forum screen name.
Calm down. Is using a funny username prohibited?
Stoe99 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 6:35 pm
I had some run ins with the law when I was younger, I remember being afraid of the same thing so I did my research.

An important thing to distinguish between is a criminal record, which occurs when you commit a crime after 18, and a youth criminal justice record, which is for crimes commited before 18.

Your youth record is completely invisible to everyone except police. If a job required a police check, you will show up fine, no one sees the youth record but law enforcement.

For summary conviction offences, it takes 3 years after completetion of any punishment set forth by the courts for your youth record to be sealed. For indictable offences it is 5 years.

Now a reminder, if you commit a crime after the age of 18, your youth record becomes open again, and remains open forever after the fact.

PS. I don't believe you need a pardon for youth offences if your record is sealed, because at that point I am fairly certain the police cant see it
Clear and concise. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
5604 posts
615 upvotes
Why don't you directly go ask RCMP? They will know for sure what is what.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2008
2005 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
No, all the crimes I committed before I turned 18 still show up. Even the time I stole a $20 off $150 Stooples coupon from an old lady is still there.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3417 posts
86 upvotes
Halton
DearSummer wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 6:28 pm
Nope, they physically destroy youth records once they reach non-disclosure. The only exceptions are serious, violent offences (murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, etc.).
I agree they do. My brother and Uncle are in the RCMP. Uncle is almost retired and in the recruiting department. Anyone with a record will be red flagged and they will dig deeper into it if there are no other candidates and depending on the crime which they commited they have a good chance of being turned down.

Though he was 16 and still a minor. It all depends on the crime like you said. he will still be red flagged.

Anyway lets not get off topic. Although it may have been something that he or she was considering in the future.
Enjoy Life
× < >