Home & Garden

does your home/auto insurance increase each year?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2017 11:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes

does your home/auto insurance increase each year?

Just wondering if your home and/or auto insurance premiums increase each despite having no claims or change? Mine routinely increases even though I've never had a claim in all the years I've had coverage. When I call to inquire I get the same regurgitated response. I'm guessing it's the same case for most people? I find the insurance industry (among many other) to be so corrupt but there's not much that can be done about and they know it (which is why I think it's so corrupt lol).
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2895 upvotes
GTA
The fee increases are your reward for your loyalty to them. Seems like insurance screws you no matter where you are.

*edited because gov't run insurance is even worse*
Last edited by engineered on Sep 12th, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 22, 2015
559 posts
132 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Definitely. You can try to call to get lower price. Some will even price match.
Apr 26, 2003
803 posts
187 upvotes
Yes. I am with TD Meloche Monnex and I called them up because I bought a new car, so I asked them about my house insurance going up like $20/month and they asked a few questions and gave me a rate that was even cheaper than I was paying before the renewal increase. They will try to creep up your prices if you do nothing. Call them up and ask for a better rate.
Mar 22, 2011
530 posts
89 upvotes
Whole heartedly agree it increases every year. Grrrrr!
My car and home insurance has been going up slowly as every year passes even though there have been no claims. And every year as we approach the anniversary date, we complain and negotiate and question everything written on the policy that they sent out. It's annoying and frustrates the heck out of me every freakin' year but it pays off because I don't have to pay the insurance companies more.
Definitely negotiate every year if you want to keep your rates low.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7963 posts
2804 upvotes
Toronto
Yep! Few bucks every year.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes
I do call them every year during renewal and they ask a bunch of question but all they do is suggest taking away certain coverage or upping the deductible to lower the premiums. Only problem with getting a new insurance company every few years is that you don't build that "loyalty" (whatever that's worth). I've been with Belair for years and I have a 10 star rating or whatever, going with another company you have to start from the bottom and prove you're worthy enough to be their client :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7437 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:31 pm
I do call them every year during renewal and they ask a bunch of question but all they do is suggest taking away certain coverage or upping the deductible to lower the premiums. Only problem with getting a new insurance company every few years is that you don't build that "loyalty" (whatever that's worth). I've been with Belair for years and I have a 10 star rating or whatever, going with another company you have to start from the bottom and prove you're worthy enough to be their client :rolleyes:
That's how they get you.
And the claims free discount - "so long as you stay with us, you'll be good!!!"

Some companies actually reward loyalty even on switching.
Aviva gave me the loyalty discount for being with previous insurer for 4(5?) years.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:43 pm
That's how they get you.

Aviva gave me the loyalty discount for being with previous insurer for 4(5?) years.
Haha exactly but some of the freebies are nice like the first at fault accident doesn't count. My rates with Belair are still cheaper than the lowest quote I got on Kanextix so I'll stick with them even though they've increased my previous by almost $200 in 2 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4283 posts
2895 upvotes
GTA
aqnd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:43 pm
That's how they get you.

I get the group discount with TD Meloche Monnex and have never been able to find anywhere cheaper.
Dec 18, 2004
992 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
can you change the insurance after renewal ? 20$/month increased .
Nov 21, 2014
186 posts
80 upvotes
Atlantic
engineered wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:57 pm
Insurance should be gov't run like in BC and other provinces.
lol find someone from BC and ask them their opinion on ICBC.
Nov 21, 2014
186 posts
80 upvotes
Atlantic
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:31 pm
I find the insurance industry (among many other) to be so corrupt but there's not much that can be done about and they know it (which is why I think it's so corrupt lol).
Unfortunate - but there's certainly more to the story than just the insurance companies and industries that drive up premiums.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes
TTony wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:26 pm
can you change the insurance after renewal ? 20$/month increased .
Yes but most will charge a penalty of some kind.