Shopping Discussion

Doesn't a tracked package require signature?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2011 2:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5268 posts
1943 upvotes
Calgary

Doesn't a tracked package require signature?

I ordered some small athletic equipment from BC. the package was shipped with a tracking number. This afternoon I tracked its whereabouts and Canada Post site indicated it had been delivered at 9:30am. This had happened to me before... was marked "delivered" at 9am but didn't arrive my house until 5pm. So I thought this time was the same scenario. I went to the community mailbox to get my regular mail around 2pm and found a key to the parcel box. Opened the compartment and found the tracked package in it. I was happy to get my stuff but was just surprised that the new mailman didn't bring it to my door. I thought all tracked packages required signature?
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43211 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
Guess not, I ordered Puma shoes like 2 weeks ago. When I got them they were also In the mailbox where you had to open with the key.

It came with a tracking number also so yeah.. It was the same case for me too, I was tracking It and saw that they said It's been delivered then I went to go check the mailbox.

Tracking and Signature Is two different things, I think you have to pay for signature.
Apr 28, 2010
962 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Nope. Signature required = more $.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13360 posts
683 upvotes
Depends on the shipping method, but not all tracked shipments need a signature.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Nov 25, 2004
542 posts
121 upvotes
London
the sender has to pay an extra $1.50 to get signature required.

also for the tracking showing delevered at 9 am but not showing up till 5. thats becuase canada don't scan the packages delevered as the guy drops them off. when the guy picks up his load of stuff at the depot in the morring he scans everything as delvered. only fedex/ups purolator scans stuff as the delever it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5268 posts
1943 upvotes
Calgary
Interesting indeed! I've never received a tracked package without signing. I guess there's a first for everything! :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
I know on Purolator packages, there's usually a OSNR in the corner of the shipping label indicating that no signature is required. I've also had CP packages safe dropped because it didn't need a signature.
signature edited for rule violations
Apr 13, 2009
871 posts
106 upvotes
It makes sense if you think about it... a package can be tracked, and it can be left sitting on your doorstep, along with a tracking code that indicates "left it sitting on the doorstep"..... all without a signature.

Tracked does not mean signature, nor does tracked mean insured!

It just means you can follow the progress. Signature tracking costs more because the courier has to knock, wait for you, get your signature, then their system has to upload the image so the shipper can view it. So that's why they charge extra for it.

Unfortunately I too find the tracking of Canada Post and the other major couriers to be perplexing and frequently out of sync.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
aaron158 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2011 2:15 am
the sender has to pay an extra $1.50 to get signature required.

also for the tracking showing delevered at 9 am but not showing up till 5. thats becuase canada don't scan the packages delevered as the guy drops them off. when the guy picks up his load of stuff at the depot in the morring he scans everything as delvered. only fedex/ups purolator scans stuff as the delever it.

I think that depends on the size of the package. The small stuff (which in my experience usually isn't tracked), i.e. in a small bubble pack, gets left in the mail box. Usually bigger stuff gets delivered by a separate postal worker. When it comes seperate they tend to have the computers for signatures etc. I had a package delivered today (saturday), but we weren't there. It was updated soon after the delivery attempt to say we weren't home etc., which is how long the computers take to update.

I think some areas (didn't know London did) use contractors, these I would think would be scanned out as you say...
Dec 25, 2009
163 posts
26 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Dec 17th, 2011 3:09 pm
I've never received a tracked package without signing. I guess there's a first for everything! :razz:
Ever order from amazon.ca? Most stuff sent by them with Canada Post or UPS will have tracking, no signature.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5268 posts
1943 upvotes
Calgary
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 18th, 2011 10:05 am
Ever order from amazon.ca? Most stuff sent by them with Canada Post or UPS will have tracking, no signature.

That's true. I never tried to track amazon purchases because they arrived so quickly. Their packages are tracked and UPS never knocked. I always thought they were just too lazy. Purolator and DHL on the other hand wouldn't leave anything without a signature. Even the free shipping stuff that I get from Deal Extreme... as long as it's tracked, regardless the value of the package, I have to go to the post office to sign for it if I missed the mail lady.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1155 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon used to never need signatures, but my last order they needed "adult signature". Fs and bb always needed signatures
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2625 posts
182 upvotes
Nations Capital
or just let Purolator use its magical door signing powers!

I got a package once via Purolator and it said on the tracking 'SIGNED BY DOOR' so I don't know how they got my door to sign for the package. But if they did, they have some interesting powers! :lol:
My Full DVD Collection is For Sale - PM me what you want!
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5268 posts
1943 upvotes
Calgary
Calmuser wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 11:09 am
or just let Purolator use its magical door signing powers!

I got a package once via Purolator and it said on the tracking 'SIGNED BY DOOR' so I don't know how they got my door to sign for the package. But if they did, they have some interesting powers! :lol:

Hey, I happen to have such powerful door! I had a few orders from Dell last year, and they were delivered by Purolator. For some reason they all arrived on different days. I missed the first one so went to pick it up the next day, came home and there was another slip for the second one. Same thing repeated on the third day. So I kept missing Purolator deliveries because I went to Purolator to pick up the package from the day before! I was fed up and complained to the guy at their office. He told me that I could actually authorize them to leave the package at my door by putting up a sticker from Purolator. Once I have the sticker up on my door (or the window in my case), they would just leave the package there without the signature. Haven't been back to Purolator since. If it's safe to have your package left at your door, it's a good thing to give your door some magical power! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
althetrainer wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 1:54 pm
Hey, I happen to have such powerful door! I had a few orders from Dell last year, and they were delivered by Purolator. For some reason they all arrived on different days. I missed the first one so went to pick it up the next day, came home and there was another slip for the second one. Same thing repeated on the third day. So I kept missing Purolator deliveries because I went to Purolator to pick up the package from the day before! I was fed up and complained to the guy at their office. He told me that I could actually authorize them to leave the package at my door by putting up a sticker from Purolator. Once I have the sticker up on my door (or the window in my case), they would just leave the package there without the signature. Haven't been back to Purolator since. If it's safe to have your package left at your door, it's a good thing to give your door some magical power! :lol:

I got one of those stickers from fed ex. I only put it out when what I'm getting isn't valuable though. With puroplator you can print off a release form from their website. You'll need the tracking number and that's about it. I use those case by case depending on what I'm receiving. Ups also has the same option as FedEx. The problem is by signing the forms you basically waive any rights to make a claim. If they safe drop it and it's not there when you get home you can still claim. If you sign the release forms and they drop it you are SOL. That's why many drivers won't safe drop at a lot of places.
× < >