• P_20180406_124355_vHDR_Auto.jpg
  • P_20180406_124700_vHDR_Auto.jpg
  • P_20180406_124711_vHDR_Auto.jpg
10 replies
Oct 5, 2006
407 posts
150 upvotes
Calgary
hard to say, looks like a Spitz mix of some sort. Maybe Finnish Spitz (mix)?

cute pup :)
[OP]
Apr 19, 2017
141 posts
32 upvotes
Yea I was thinking of getting a dog, and this is the cutest breed I've seen. Would like to know what it is, then read additional info about it (sheeding, etc)

Finish Spitz I saw on google seem to be quite bigger than this one.
Apr 25, 2011
792 posts
341 upvotes
British Columbia
Do not get a dog based on looks! You need a dog that suits your lifestyle - their activity level, shedding/grooming needs, prey drive, intelligence, sociability etc. should all come before their looks. Finnish Spitz were bred to have a high prey drive and bark. All the time. If that's what you're into then fantastic, but don't expect to change a dogs innate personality.
Jul 7, 2005
482 posts
94 upvotes
Hey it looks like a long haired version of my shiba!! If they shed anything like the shiba, expect the amount they shed to defy the laws of physics.

And look at what I found here via Wiki lol

The breed barks at anything perceived to be out of the ordinary. Barking is a major part of their hunting activities. In Finland, these dogs are prized for their barking abilities, which can range from short, sharp barks to many barks per minute that sound like a yodel. The Finnish Spitz can bark as many as 160 times per minute. In Scandinavia, a competition is held to find the "King of the Barkers." [14] In Finland, their barking ability in the field must be proven before a conformation championship can be earned.[15]

When used as a hunting companion, the barking is a way to signal the hunter that the dog has located prey in the forest.[15] They can be trained to reduce the amount of barking,[7] although the barking does make them superb watchdogs.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4835 posts
2220 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You need to worry about getting the appropriate breed for your lifestyle and experience level. Since you are looking for a dog based strictly on how "cute" you deem it, I'm going to go ahead and guess that you have zero dog experience. Be very careful what you choose, and do your research. I have Jack Russells. They are an extremely cute breed - but would not be appropriate for everyone. They are highly intelligent, but stubborn (not the most obedient dogs). High prey drive, and bark. Mine will bark all day at squirrels (or whatever furry rodents they can spot) if they are left inside (while we are at work for example). We are in a house on an acre so it is okay, but if in closer quarters could be a problem. Loveable and hilarious dogs - but they are NOT for everyone. The fact that they are so cute, and used lots in TV, movies, commercials tends to make people think they are something they are not. Little terriers are not suitable for a lot of people.
May 12, 2009
719 posts
282 upvotes
waitin4BOOST wrote:
May 28th, 2018 11:15 am
expect the amount they shed to defy the laws of physics.
As the owner of a "pride of Finland" spitz-type, I can confirm this is absolutely true.
Sep 4, 2007
675 posts
158 upvotes
Karala wrote:
May 27th, 2018 5:04 pm
Do not get a dog based on looks! You need a dog that suits your lifestyle - their activity level, shedding/grooming needs, prey drive, intelligence, sociability etc. should all come before their looks. Finnish Spitz were bred to have a high prey drive and bark. All the time. If that's what you're into then fantastic, but don't expect to change a dogs innate personality.
Relax, he's asking so he can get more info about it. He didn't say he's gonna buy it because of looks only
Apr 25, 2011
792 posts
341 upvotes
British Columbia
LyGuy wrote:
May 31st, 2018 2:11 pm
Relax, he's asking so he can get more info about it. He didn't say he's gonna buy it because of looks only
I realise that. It does not hurt to stress the importance of getting a suitable dog breed.

It is always a cause for concern when someone is searching out a breed based on looks regardless of if they plan to "read additional info on it" - I've found often this results in the cuteness factor out weighing the horrendous incompatibility. I see it all the time.
Nov 24, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Looks like a Finnish Spitz. I'd echo what one of the other posters said tho. Do not buy a dog for looks. If it's an ugly dog you love, you'll think its adorable. If it's a cute dog you hate, you will still hate it, lol. Get one that has a personality to match your lifestyle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)