Pets

Dog breed info...MrsPotato,Karala. Anyone knowledgable.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2017 6:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
6 posts

Dog breed info...MrsPotato,Karala. Anyone knowledgable.

Hi,

I have been researching on here specifically recently, and looking into French bulldogs, possibly a cross of both the Frenchie and Boston terrier, but I see that doesn't guarantee cutting down on the inherent health problems of the brachycephalic breeds. I have been researching legitimate breeders for over a year and can't pull the trigger. I want to make sure I get the right dog/breed for us and make sure we are right for the dog.

We have a friend that owns a Frenchie/Boston cross. He is a little sweetheart. I would appreciate honest opinions on the Frenchie or the Frenchie/Boston cross... My husband thinks something like a Border terrier would be better suited as they have few health problems.

Here's a bit about us. My husband and I have one school aged child. No other pets. Own a condo, I am a stay at home mom and would have a lot of time and attention to give to a dog. Dog park next door. I would appreciate any info and advice as to a suitable breed for us.

We would like a breed that's good with kids. Smaller would be better. Under 30lbs preferable. Not a super high energy breed. But doesn't need to be a couch potato either.

I see MrsPotato and Karala specifically have great information and would love your input. I tried to PM, but assume I need to post a few times until I can do so. Thanks for any advice in advance. If you would rather PM me that's fine too.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2343 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
I would avoid going the Frenchie route. They're so overbred ... and the health and behaviour (neurological) are a severe issue with this breed now.
I personally love Bostons' (I've had 2!) but they're a very high energy breed. And they just aren't my first choice anymore. Terriers --- they're always a challenge and have specific training and exercise needs. I love border terriers but they're super high energy, very intelligent and need a lot of stimulating exercise (backyard and leashed walks won't cut it ;)
They're also a herding breed, so with that in mind, wouldn't recommend this breed with a family with younger children (under 10), as it can create a dangerous situation.

Based on your requirements for a dog, look at the Brussels griffin!!! I adore this breed.
They're such a great small breed and have very few health issues. They're easy to train, very loving and affectionate, great family dog. great with kids.
Hope this helps a bit.
But you're definitely in the right to be hesitant about the Frenchie and bostons --- they're just not a stable breed anymore :(
Apr 25, 2011
640 posts
221 upvotes
British Columbia
Hi there.

A Frenchie, a Border Terrier or a mix breed? They are all completely different dogs with regards to temperament (and a mix you never know what you are going to get) so I am worried you need to nail down what you are looking for before proceeding further.

You are going to have to decide between factors like if you want a dog that needs grooming -- which is expensive -- or how much shedding is too much, if you want a dog that is responsive to commands or one that does its own thing, how high a prey drive you would like in your dog (do you ever have plans for a cat?!), activity level...

Have either of you had dogs before? Are you willing to heavily socialize and obedience train a puppy and fully understand what that involves? How much interactive time off leash with you can the dog get daily? How old is your child and do they know how to respectfully treat dogs? These would be factors in selecting a dog breed. No need to answer these questions directly but keep them in mind when looking for a breed that suits you.

Of course even within breeds there's huge variety and every dog is an individual. Genetics, how well you socialize and train your dog in its first few months of life, and how it was raised before you even get it are all factors in shaping a dogs adult personality.

Choosing a dog based on potential health concerns is important too so I am glad you have not pulled the trigger on a Frenchie. Health concerns would rule out the Frenchie entirely... unless you want a lot of heartache and can invest in the best plan available for pet insurance immediately (or have extremely deep pockets). Even from a "reputable" breeder, genetic testing can only prevent so much. The dog is simply built to be a disaster, much like the Bulldog.

A Frenchie crossed with anything is still not a good idea. You can theoretically get the best of both breeds but you could also get the worst of both breeds, which is especially true when you have backyard breeders throwing random dogs together to make some money.

Boston Terriers can be lovely little dogs, although their temperament is all over the map. It is hard to say the kind of dog you will get; hyperactive or calm. Viewing the parents can help as they tend to pass along their disposition. However their health problems are extensive and therefore I would avoid them. Much like I'd love a Cavalier (fantastic dogs) but their health issues are gross and cannot be supported.

Have you looked into the Havanese, Miniature Poodle or Maltese? Not to say that they do not come with their own set of potential health concerns. Some people believe hounds, such as the Beagle, make great breeds around children; but they have a mind of their own to the extreme and howl... if those traits do not interest you then move along.

If you have a dog park nearby and can dedicate roughly an hour daily for throwing a ball around then I believe most dogs will do well and can adjust to your lifestyle including lively little dogs like the Italian Greyhound. Even little herders like the Sheltie or the Miniature Aussie provided you understand what the herding mentality entails. Since you're home with the dog during the day that is fantastic because many breeds do not do well left alone and are usually your little shadow around the home.

I am really hesitant to suggest any one breed because many have the potential to be unsuitable but many also can be great dogs if you have the time and energy for them. Carefully consider your practical level of commitment to them for the next ~15 years.

Happy hunting!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1861 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Get a mix. Easier to take care of/train/etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2343 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 5:47 pm
Get a mix. Easier to take care of/train/etc.
So unknown issues ... can be as problematic.

Mixes are NOT a catchall for prevention and less problems.
It's an inaccurate blanketed statement at best.
Ie. a mix / GSD and xx has a very high percentage to carry GSD health concerns (hip dysphasia ect)
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1426 posts
52 upvotes
If you're going to go for a purebred, focus on a breed that isn't the super popular, flavor of the day dog.
Odds are better that they will not be as overbred.
One of my current dogs is a Standard Schnauzer and to be honest, he's probably the best dog I've ever had.
Very intelligent. Loves kids. Very low shedding.
They run 35 to 50 lbs.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
6 posts
Thanks MrsPotato very helpful. I am in Canada too. I will look into the Brussels as well as some rescues. A few of my girlfriends have actually rescued their dogs from an SPCA in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. So I will look into that too.
Last edited by islandashley on Jul 12th, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
6 posts
Thanks so much Karala. I really appreciate your info and input! I will think further about the grooming needs of the breeds and what I'd like.

A few of my girlfriends have adopted their dogs from a rescue in PV Mexico and have really nice little dogs. So I think I will look into rescues as well. Not just there but here in Canada as well..
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
6 posts
Thanks Kaz. I will look into the Schnauzer, so glad to hear how great they are, I'm going to look into rescues as well.
Apr 25, 2011
640 posts
221 upvotes
British Columbia
islandashley wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:55 am
Thanks, I am going to look into rescues.
Good for you considering a rescue!

You won't likely be finding a puppy if you go the rescue route, not in BC anyway. Puppies are snatched up in a blink unless they have serious behavioural or medical concerns.

I tried adopting locally (as well as searching on petfinder.com all over North America) for over a year before giving up on adopting a rescue puppy.

If you would consider an adult dog you may have many options avaiable.
Jun 19, 2017
210 posts
125 upvotes
I wouldn't bother the foster route for dogs. Generally speaking if you're not rich, jobless and have a giant back yard.... Most rescues will spit on you.

I'm a homeowner, with a backyard. Got rejected non stop for rescue dogs because I have a 9-5 job. Even older dogs 7 or 8 years old.

After months of trying, I got a puppy who I love dearly. Take her for walks every day... I'm happy I got rejected so many times otherwise I wouldn't
have found her.

I didn't let the process haunt me... I foster cats now..
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
6 posts
I'm happy for you varano!!! What kind of puppy did you end up getting?

varano wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:41 am
I wouldn't bother the foster route for dogs. Generally speaking if you're not rich, jobless and have a giant back yard.... Most rescues will spit on you.

I'm a homeowner, with a backyard. Got rejected non stop for rescue dogs because I have a 9-5 job. Even older dogs 7 or 8 years old.

After months of trying, I got a puppy who I love dearly. Take her for walks every day... I'm happy I got rejected so many times otherwise I wouldn't
have found her.

I didn't let the process haunt me... I foster cats now..
Jun 19, 2017
210 posts
125 upvotes
islandashley wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:52 am
I'm happy for you varano!!! What kind of puppy did you end up getting?
She's a Coton De Tulear and Bichon Frise Mix.

If you can find a Coton, Its a hell of a dog.
Beautiful. Cute, Clownish.. Suits the energy to you. Loves to please. A bit stubborn at times. Big fluffy fur makes the dog look like a bigger dog.