Pets

Dog in crate air travel, harness or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 8:40 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes

Dog in crate air travel, harness or not?

Will need to travel with my dog by air, she'll be in a crate as checked baggage, should I put a harness/collar on her while she's in the crate? If so, does it matter for me to use a harness with metal on it? Do I need to take off the harness during security check if there's a metal piece on it?
5 replies
Oct 22, 2005
113 posts
Personally I would not put on a collar or harness while they're in the crate. It creates added hazard to your pet. Security checks are fairly straight forward and metal wouldn't be much of a concern if you do decide to put the collar on.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
Can you elaborate more on what kind of hazard is possible? I'm torn in between collar vs not as some people say it's a must to have a collar (with ID) on a pet while outside, just in case it escapes from the crate for whatever possible reasons. Thanks!
Jul 25, 2008
859 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
I would avoid it if its not necessary. There is a chance of the collar getting caught and causing a choking hazard. It happened to a dog at a clinic my friend used to work at. The dog stayed overnight at a kennel and was found dead the next morning due to collar getting caught and choked to death.
Jul 7, 2005
530 posts
122 upvotes
I would check with the airline your travelling on, my dog was shipped to me when I got her and as far as I know there are certain protocols you will need to follow ie. Kennel that is aircraft approved, Live Animal sticker, rabies vaccine /health check documents etc. I do remember she did have a tag, not a collar per say it was like a hospital wristband. Oh I have a picture https://goo.gl/photos/dje13Pg2qDygZ9Ag7
[OP]
May 3, 2016
327 posts
22 upvotes
Thank you very much for the information. Since I'm travelling with my dog from Asia to Vancouver, it involves taking her out for x-ray check at the airport checked baggage counter and possibly another time at the arrival airport. So I think it's better to put on her at least a nylon collar so that it won't be that easy for her to escape (during the check when I need to take her out the kennel at the airport with so many people). Mine is a 7 lb dog, Pomeranian mixed, I walk her on a harness daily but seems harness is too much when she's in the kennel.