Pets

Dog Dental Care - Teeth Cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2017 5:14 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2013
1 posts

Dog Dental Care - Teeth Cleaning

I have inherited a Maltese-Bichon small dog. He is in real need of dental cleaning, possibly extraction. His Vet is quoting $700+ for cleaning plus additional cost if any extraction is required.

This is way too much! Does anyone know of a vet that can do this for a 1/3 of the price quoted here in or around Toronto (GTA)?

I have heard that this service is much cheaper south of the border. I think this would more than justify a day trip to Buffalo. Does anyone have experience with vet services in Buffalo or Niagara Falls U.S. side?

Thanks.

Fred.
110 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2176 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
That pricing sounds accurate based on vet care in the GTA.

My main concern would be follow up care. You have a small dog, and things can happen post op.
If you go across the boarder, or drive hours away you'll be limiting yourself for free follow up should it be required.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5073 posts
638 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Considering the savings, it would probably be worth the drive even if follow-up is required and you had to either go back or pay out of pocket for follow up.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13325 posts
3995 upvotes
If you can find a school that trains the people who do animal teeth cleanings, they can be had at a substantial discount. There is one in my area (not near Ontario) that does it for well under $100 (if I recall). It's just done on a cost-recovery basis.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2727 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I've had both my dogs teeth cleaned and it cost about $1500 each.
IMHO you get what you pay for..I took mine to Dr French at the VEC in Toronto.
Jul 25, 2008
662 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I work part time at a clinic. We do not charge no where as that much. How old is your dog? I imagine its about 10-20lbs? I think dental scaling with us is max $500 including bloodwork and IVs, extraction is $25 per tooth. If you are really interested, PM me and I can give you a quote.
Last edited by Didi_beee on Oct 23rd, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2176 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2013 9:53 pm
Wtf... I work part time at a clinic. We do not charge no where as that much. How old is your dog? I imagine its about 10-20lbs? I think dental scaling with us is max $500 including bloodwork and IVs, extraction is $25 per tooth. If you are really interested, PM me and I can give you a quote. I can probably give you a 5-10% discount too if I say you're a friend
Where is this clinic located???! And who's the vet? (Name pls)
Jul 25, 2008
662 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
MrsPotato wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2013 10:02 pm
Where is this clinic located???! And who's the vet? (Name pls)
Vet is located about 10mins from Square One. I won't give you the name yet but she's really good and takes her time to explain everything to you and she's Korean. I'm wirking tomorrow. I'll reply to this thread with some price quotes.
Jul 25, 2008
662 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Ok so for a dog thats 15-30lbs, the price of dental scaling is $330 plus tax. This includes the pre-examination, in-clinic medication amd general anesthesia. Optional items like pre-anesthetic blood test is $65 and IV is $56 but its required for dogs 7yrs and above. If you need extractions, its $25 per tooth unless theres tons of extractions needed then the doctor can probably work something out with you.
Hope this helps!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5073 posts
638 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 9:16 pm
Ok so for a dog thats 15-30lbs, the price of dental scaling is $330 plus tax. This includes the pre-examination, in-clinic medication amd general anesthesia. Optional items like pre-anesthetic blood test is $65 and IV is $56 but its required for dogs 7yrs and above. If you need extractions, its $25 per tooth unless theres tons of extractions needed then the doctor can probably work something out with you.
Hope this helps!
That sounds pretty reasonable for an Ontario vet. Still much cheaper in NY State though.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2727 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 9:16 pm
Hope this helps!
In my case my dog needed about 28 teeth pulled..the full xray showed the extent of the bone loss and which teeth could stay. The xray was the main reason I paid $$$$..assume your price doesn't include them? For just a cleaning your rates look very fair.
Jul 25, 2008
662 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
jackie999 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2013 8:21 am
In my case my dog needed about 28 teeth pulled..the full xray showed the extent of the bone loss and which teeth could stay. The xray was the main reason I paid $$$$..assume your price doesn't include them? For just a cleaning your rates look very fair.
Wow 28 teeth? Xray at our clinic is about $165 for 2 views? Not sure if there's a special type of xray required for the type of procedure your doggie needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2727 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 31st, 2013 8:07 pm
Wow 28 teeth? Xray at our clinic is about $165 for 2 views? Not sure if there's a special type of xray required for the type of procedure your doggie needed.
This was one of those 'panoramic view' xrays that did the full mouth. It was a little more expensive since you're paying for Dr French ..she's very good. You can catch her on some vet emerg shows...
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4693 posts
50 upvotes
Local
Wow, pulling 28 teeth out of a dog? What's left after that?

I took my dog to do his cleaning once. Had to put him under while they did it....Costed a couple hundred can't remember the exact price maybe mine wasn't too bad $200-400?....Vet's most likely aren't there to scam you out of your money. It has to cost that much and it's worth it. Doesn't mean you have to clean it all the time. You can hold off for now if you feel it's too much. Eventually, I hope you realize your bond is worth the money and youll bite that one time bullet of $700 for the dog.
Jul 8, 2013
31 posts
It does sound a lot! I did my cat teeth in Vancouver, BC and it was 570$ including pre blood work, anesthetic, IV, extraction of a small tooth next to canine and course of antibiotics + a bag of dental food as a promotion which I donated. It was a 10% off promotion for that month, but even regular price would be OK.
It's a normal vet clinic, regular for my cat.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel