Pets

Dog Dental Care - Teeth Cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 1:06 pm
Oct 9, 2013
16 posts
6 upvotes
US FDA advices against bones. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsume ... 209196.pdf Agreed that cooked bones are more of a risk. But do not think any type of bone is 100% safe. It's a judgement call, is a small risk of a life threatening condition acceptable or not if you can avoid it by daily tooth brushing. With regard to raw chicken: Salmonella. Not often a problem even if a dog is infected but it can become a problem and can also be transmitted to for instance children in the house.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2804 posts
436 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Supahhh wrote:
Feb 13th, 2014 12:07 am
is it ok if I give him a raw chicken carcass ( ribs and backbone )?

Ive heard ( altho it doesnt make sense to me ) that the smaller bones can cause damage from their splinters.
Raw chicken necks or wings are a real treat. Wings are easier to find, but cost more. For the necks you can try calling a few butchers in your area. My butcher sold them individually frozen in a box.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Tristan910 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2014 1:15 am
How about Nylabones? Do they help?
Not with our dog - nothing has but then he has the claws, jaws and teeth of death - all in a 25 lb. package. I even bought him the Galileo super giant nylabone - may it rest in peace. We will be having his 2 week post dental check-up at 11:40 today. It has been a very rough 2 weeks since our little hoover has not been allowed to have anything "crunchy". The vet is going to tell us about a new product that she uses and supports that is added to the dog's water - the only thing we haven't done because we were afraid to. I know it is kept behind the counter - and that the clinic manager has put one aside for us in case there is a run on it. I will post the name of the stuff on our return. I am hoping for a good report - anything else will be a nightmare. He does eat an excellent diet it is just that he is inclined to develop plaque/tartar and with his face shape and being a hoover, nothing touches the teeth in question. I was hoping that this 2 week change in diet would help him lose 3 lbs. - I can tell you it hasn't. I am also afraid that 2 weeks without doing what we were doing might have started the plaque buildup again since it starts within 6 hours of the dental. But for a 10 year old dog who looks 2 and has the health report of same, things could be worse - and we have lived it. We used to have mini Dachshunds with the back/neck disc issues - and surgeries. By the way, they could kill nylabones as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Tristan910 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2014 1:15 am
How about Nylabones? Do they help?
We are back from the dental check-up. Our Eskie passed - thankfully. I thought he would faint when the vet gave him some hard cookies. The additive she recommends is called Healthy Mouth - but her practice sells it in 2 forms. The first is one you add to a jug of water and basically there are all sorts of conditions that you need to follow to keep it working properly - and it is NOT! recommend for dogs like ours who eat snow, drink from puddles on the street - or go to daycare - even though it is only once a week, because that water would not be treated and it would be shared. So her recommended Healthy Mouth gel (aka "Green Slime". You dip a Q-tip in it and then you can transfer it to your finger and apply it to your dog's teeth. Or you can apply it using the toothpick - but our hoover loves Q-tips - heck I will be happy if I am able to smear it across his front teeth before his very fast tongue licks it from my finger. Healthy Mouth is kept behind the counter with the meds so I knew it would not be cheap - but it is not by prescription. The cost with our Cdn. taxes was just shy of $90 - for a small jar! We are to apply it before he goes to bed - and then in the a.m. I can give him his poultry toothpaste - I will try brushing again and if he tries to swallow the brush I will cover his enzadent cookie with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2804 posts
436 upvotes
Aurora, ON
The dental vet at the VECToronto (Dr French) recommended the Healthy Mouth to me as well. I read up on it and decided I didn't want to add it to their water and it was incredibly expensive for a concoction of herbs so I didn't try it. It just seemed to me that there is no magic potion to stop the build up of plaque or tartar..if there was wouldn't it be available to people?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
jackie999 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2014 6:53 pm
The dental vet at the VECToronto (Dr French) recommended the Healthy Mouth to me as well. I read up on it and decided I didn't want to add it to their water and it was incredibly expensive for a concoction of herbs so I didn't try it. It just seemed to me that there is no magic potion to stop the build up of plaque or tartar..if there was wouldn't it be available to people?
Isn't Petzlife gel supposed to be the "magic potion" to stop the build of plaque and tartar? I had a friend who bought it, dunno if it is doing its job for her dog as most of his teeth were extracted but I read about it and seems to be good. I haven't bought it myself yet as it's pricey in Canada (about $20 something IIRC) and I already bought a wide range of toothpaste/gels for my dog and it is like impossible to get it on her teeth (most of it ends up on her fur) so didn't want to spend almost $30 right off the bat.

Anyway I started throwing in a few Hill's Science Diet Oral Care dry dog food into her regular Acana food in the hopes it helps with her teeth.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2346 posts
239 upvotes
Waterloo
Just an FYI as an update to the issue i was having my puppy. I gave him some twigs/green branches to chew on. after three days the breath has gone from being a toxic bio hazard zone to mild breath odor in three days. I guess from now ON i'll make sure he chews on a twig everyday.

I have an appointment with the vet we'll see what she says . Thanks all for the advice.
Feb 4, 2006
81 posts
1 upvote
Blanche123 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2014 10:41 am
Not with our dog - nothing has but then he has the claws, jaws and teeth of death - all in a 25 lb. package. I even bought him the Galileo super giant nylabone - may it rest in peace. We will be having his 2 week post dental check-up at 11:40 today. It has been a very rough 2 weeks since our little hoover has not been allowed to have anything "crunchy". The vet is going to tell us about a new product that she uses and supports that is added to the dog's water - the only thing we haven't done because we were afraid to. I know it is kept behind the counter - and that the clinic manager has put one aside for us in case there is a run on it. I will post the name of the stuff on our return. I am hoping for a good report - anything else will be a nightmare. He does eat an excellent diet it is just that he is inclined to develop plaque/tartar and with his face shape and being a hoover, nothing touches the teeth in question. I was hoping that this 2 week change in diet would help him lose 3 lbs. - I can tell you it hasn't. I am also afraid that 2 weeks without doing what we were doing might have started the plaque buildup again since it starts within 6 hours of the dental. But for a 10 year old dog who looks 2 and has the health report of same, things could be worse - and we have lived it. We used to have mini Dachshunds with the back/neck disc issues - and surgeries. By the way, they could kill nylabones as well.
My little pom still can't hold on to her small Nylabone for too long before it slips out of her paws. I have to hold it for her to chew.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Tristan910 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2014 3:27 am
My little pom still can't hold on to her small Nylabone for too long before it slips out of her paws. I have to hold it for her to chew.
Then that might work - you would be able (hopefully!) to get the nylabone away from her should she start to break off a piece. Our Eskie has very strong jaws - and they became stronger as he grew. The Galileo nylabone that I bought for him was the one for a 100 lb. dog - and since he weighs 25 lbs. you would think that would be okay - no - actually he only weighed 18 lbs. when I bought it - he was still growing. And he could run around with it. Where there is a will there is a way. I know that nylabones are made in different strengths so I would go for the strongest - but nylabones were not recommended for our Eskie or our mini Dachshunds. So much will depend on your dog and chewing capability. I remember buying one of those long rope toys with a knot for our guy when he was a year old. He was with me and the store clerk asked me the weight of the "other" dog I was buying the toy for - I told him this one and he was appalled. Even more so when our guy took it and had it totally dismantled within 5 minutes. Of course it became "ours". Just be careful - you do not want to have a blockage. Frankly our vets are shocked that our 10 year old dog has not had any blockages.
Feb 9, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 30th, 2013 9:16 pm
Ok so for a dog thats 15-30lbs, the price of dental scaling is $330 plus tax. This includes the pre-examination, in-clinic medication amd general anesthesia. Optional items like pre-anesthetic blood test is $65 and IV is $56 but its required for dogs 7yrs and above. If you need extractions, its $25 per tooth unless theres tons of extractions needed then the doctor can probably work something out with you.
Hope this helps!
Do you still work at this clinic? If so, would you kindly reply with the name of this clinic, the address and a telephone number? Thanks!
Jul 25, 2008
687 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
GinaH272 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2015 11:23 pm
Do you still work at this clinic? If so, would you kindly reply with the name of this clinic, the address and a telephone number? Thanks!
Hi, pm sent
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1986 posts
429 upvotes
I needed about 3 teeth taken out and a cleaning too.
around $700 was what I was quoted for at first too - by a few places.
Then my gf found a chinese pet clinic in scarborough that was highly rated on chinese forums for being honest and providing good work.
We went there and I believe we paid around $300-400 in the end. I believe he did a good job, and he has a legitimate business with proper commercial storefront at Brimley & Steeles.
I met the owner/veterinarian, and he seems like an decent guy to me.

on another note, my dog was bitten by another dog and needed stitches. The same vet did this job and did it well at a fair price. My dog recovered and healed very fast with no complications.

(PS, my dog is a 18lb bichon purebred - similar to OP's)
May 15, 2015
4 posts
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 29th, 2013 11:41 pm
Vet is located about 10mins from Square One. I won't give you the name yet but she's really good and takes her time to explain everything to you and she's Korean. I'm wirking tomorrow. I'll reply to this thread with some price quotes.
Hi Do you still work there? Pl email me the name of the clinic (lorrdsouza@yahoo.com). My 5 yr old german shepherd has an abscess and the vet said his chipped tooth is causing the infection. She's quoted 1500- 1800 for the procedure.. way too much for our budget. Im desperately looking for a reasonable place and will take our dog anywhere.
thanks
Jul 25, 2008
687 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
lorrdeee wrote:
May 16th, 2015 9:50 pm
Hi Do you still work there? Pl email me the name of the clinic (lorrdsouza@yahoo.com). My 5 yr old german shepherd has an abscess and the vet said his chipped tooth is causing the infection. She's quoted 1500- 1800 for the procedure.. way too much for our budget. Im desperately looking for a reasonable place and will take our dog anywhere.
thanks
Hi, check your email.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)