Pets

Dog Dental Care - Teeth Cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2017 7:28 pm
Mar 4, 2015
397 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Dental cleaning is so expensive. When my dog had his teeth cleaned it was $650. I tried to do it once a year or once every two years! It was a huge expense and such a pain to pay for but If your pet is like your baby it is worth it. However your dog was much smaller than mine. The vet told me that the expense is from the anesthesia. It should prob be a $100 or $200 less.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2969 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
KDivers wrote:
Apr 12th, 2016 10:46 am
Dental cleaning is so expensive. When my dog had his teeth cleaned it was $650. I tried to do it once a year or once every two years! It was a huge expense and such a pain to pay for but If your pet is like your baby it is worth it. However your dog was much smaller than mine. The vet told me that the expense is from the anesthesia. It should prob be a $100 or $200 less.
Nope, I just paid about that for my little Jack Russell too. Very expensive. Unfortunately the little devil won't let me brush his teeth. I've had him since he was 3 months old and I tried right from day 1 - no dice lol. I love him to death, but he's stubborn on this issue.
Nov 3, 2011
3 posts
Hamilton, Ontario
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 29th, 2013 11:41 pm
Vet is located about 10mins from Square One. I won't give you the name yet but she's really good and takes her time to explain everything to you and she's Korean. I'm wirking tomorrow. I'll reply to this thread with some price quotes.
I have a 8 yr
Old pug who needs an extraction and a cleaning. I'm in Hamilton but will travel to save. You can pm me? Thanks so much.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 21st, 2016 4:23 pm
Nope, I just paid about that for my little Jack Russell too. Very expensive. Unfortunately the little devil won't let me brush his teeth. I've had him since he was 3 months old and I tried right from day 1 - no dice lol. I love him to death, but he's stubborn on this issue.
Just wait until gum work is involved! I don't know the age of your pups, but at 7 your pups will be seniors so the bloodwork will cost more. Our guy will not allow us to brush his teeth either, actually he tries to eat the toothbrush - after all, isn't everything food?

We have tried everything. Currently we are putting C.E.T. toothpaste on a special cookie (holistic of course) and sprinkling powder on it. He can also count so knows exactly what he is to get. His breed has a Collie shaped face and while his teeth are very strong he swallows everything practically whole.

We used to have Dachshunds (and know all about the back/neck surgeries - couldn't go through it again - we had surgeries for 2 of our dogs). But Dachshunds often have bad teeth - too many teeth in their small mouths. We had dentals and removal of teeth with them. I love the Alpha Dachshunds - how I miss them. One of our 10 lb. guys was the biggest dog we ever had.

You could find yourself in the same situation - or not. You might get lucky. There are 3 Jack Russell Terriers living down the street from us. They love to bark - but not at me!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
gameongirl2006 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 12:29 pm
I have a 8 yr
Old pug who needs an extraction and a cleaning. I'm in Hamilton but will travel to save. You can pm me? Thanks so much.
I have to ask - have you had a quote from your regular vet? I just couldn't see taking our 12 year old "darling" anywhere but to our regular vet. He has "his" people.

The fact that you know your pup needs an extraction and cleaning leads me to believe you have had a quote, but when you sign the pre-op papers you will be given a form to sign with minimum and maximum charges - there could be other teeth involved - or the dreaded gum work. Our dog had gum work 3 years ago and again this year. He has a "free" follow-up check up in May - 3 months after this year's surgery. I can only just imagine....
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2969 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Oh boy Blanche, I guess I can expect his dental to get more and more expensive lol. Stubborn little sucker, and yes they are a big dog in a little body :)

I might have to try the toothpaste trick, but he's pretty clever and if he even suspects something is up (hmm, Mom really seems to want me to have this treat) he won't touch it lol.
Nov 3, 2011
3 posts
Hamilton, Ontario
I have only had a $500 - $1000 over the phone from my vet. we are taking her for her annual vaccines and will find out a more specific number then. I know she needs an extraction because she has broken off a large piece of her canine and I can see the root of the tooth. I was just being proactive in seeking out another price.

was
Blanche123 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 12:44 pm
I have to ask - have you had a quote from your regular vet? I just couldn't see taking our 12 year old "darling" anywhere but to our regular vet. He has "his" people.

The fact that you know your pup needs an extraction and cleaning leads me to believe you have had a quote, but when you sign the pre-op papers you will be given a form to sign with minimum and maximum charges - there could be other teeth involved - or the dreaded gum work. Our dog had gum work 3 years ago and again this year. He has a "free" follow-up check up in May - 3 months after this year's surgery. I can only just imagine....
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 2:19 pm
Oh boy Blanche, I guess I can expect his dental to get more and more expensive lol. Stubborn little sucker, and yes they are a big dog in a little body :)

I might have to try the toothpaste trick, but he's pretty clever and if he even suspects something is up (hmm, Mom really seems to want me to have this treat) he won't touch it lol.
Our dog now expects his toothpaste to be applied to his special cookie (he can tell the difference between the two types of cookies - the special ones are taken to a separate place to eat). If the toothpaste isn't there then he gives me the "look". He loves everything - he won't give up bark on the street for steak. He just clamps down those teeth and won't let go of the offending piece. Scares me to death. He also is very quick and has paws like a raccoon - out comes those little hand-like paws as he holds down everything. He can hear a lettuce leaf drop from anywhere in the house.

And, yes, certain breeds of terriers (and Dachshunds while called hounds most definitely are part of the terrier family) are big dogs in small bodies. Especially the Alphas - my type of dog. Our current dog weighs 25 lbs. - but while quirky in temperament he seems smaller than the 2 Alpha Dachshunds that we had. Our Dachshunds could stare down a Rotti. On the other hand they got along very well with Dobermans.

I think this is why the feisty Jacks down the street like me. I give them their proper respect.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
437 upvotes
gameongirl2006 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 9:12 pm
I have only had a $500 - $1000 over the phone from my vet. we are taking her for her annual vaccines and will find out a more specific number then. I know she needs an extraction because she has broken off a large piece of her canine and I can see the root of the tooth. I was just being proactive in seeking out another price.

was
Prepare yourself! It has been a few years - and a different dog, but the cost at the time to remove a canine tooth was considerably more expensive than a smaller tooth. Of course placement of the tooth is everything.

Our current dog did have a few extractions a couple of years ago - along with some gum work - but the teeth were small. Earlier this year he had the dental cleaning but quite a bit of gum work (and he is 12). The gum work seriously costs.

I am hoping for the best. For both of us.
May 5, 2016
1 posts
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2013 9:53 pm
Wtf... I work part time at a clinic. We do not charge no where as that much. How old is your dog? I imagine its about 10-20lbs? I think dental scaling with us is max $500 including bloodwork and IVs, extraction is $25 per tooth. If you are really interested, PM me and I can give you a quote. I can probably give you a 5-10% discount too if I say you're a friend
Hi, my dog might need xrays and tooth extractions. Can I give you a call? on how much it would cost?
May 8, 2016
1 posts
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 31st, 2013 8:07 pm
Wow 28 teeth? Xray at our clinic is about $165 for 2 views? Not sure if there's a special type of xray required for the type of procedure your doggie needed.
Hey , I would love to make arrangements to come and cost your vets, I have a dog that needs extracting
Jul 17, 2011
158 posts
59 upvotes
FYI any dog that goes for dental work will need DENTAL x-rays (small plate in the mouth) rather than his entire head on top of an x-ray plate. And just like people radiographs of all the teeth in the mouth should be taken (as without radiographs you don't know what's going on in the roots of the teeth - pathology or unusual anatomy).
Jul 23, 2007
81 posts
20 upvotes
York
I go to Dr. Fraser Hale at Guelph.
He is one of the best in pet dental surgeries.
He is extremely competent and professional.
www.toothvet.ca
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5127 posts
653 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Just had Gracie's teeth cleaned (45lb labradoodle).
Town & Country Vet in Ogdensburg, NY.

Office Call - $32
Dental Cleaning - $180 (no extractions - they would've been $25 per tooth,and includes general anesthesia, ear flush and nail trim)
Antibiotics (for ear infection) - $28
Heartworm/Lyme test - $46
DHLP Vaccine - $16

Altogether the total was $390 CDN.
Jun 17, 2016
2 posts
Hi I really need to get my dogs teeth cleaned... do u still work at this clinic?