Pets

Dog Dental Care - Teeth Cleaning

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 1:06 pm
Nov 29, 2016
22 posts
58 upvotes
Am i missing something? Is it against forum rules to post helpful info? Why is private email necessary? Can you not just post the vet clinic? I honestly don't know, just asking as I am sure everyone would be interested to know the name considering the experience you had.

Cheers
PMB
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5136 posts
655 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Floydikus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 9:12 pm
Am i missing something? Is it against forum rules to post helpful info? Why is private email necessary? Can you not just post the vet clinic? I honestly don't know, just asking as I am sure everyone would be interested to know the name considering the experience you had.

Cheers
PMB
Not against the rules. Not sure why that poster doesn't want to name the clinic in an open forum.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1507 posts
260 upvotes
Markham
Didi_beee wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 12:33 pm
The amount you paid seems pretty reasonable and comparable. I think the clinic I'm at would have been a bit lower with the 40% discount.

Just a reminder to everyone that Jan and Feb is pet dental month so most clinics run good promotions regarding dental work.
Didi_beee, I have 2 dogs that need dental cleaning. Can you tell me where you work so I can obtain quotes? Please and thanks.
Feb 15, 2017
1 posts
Hi, can I please get contact information for your vet at Brimley and Steeles in Scarborough. My 3lb yorkie is in need of a dental cleaning and some puppy teeth extracted. Like most people I want a good solid Vet but don't have hundreds of dollars to throw around.
Thanks
Oct 12, 2013
179 posts
40 upvotes
Surrey
Anyone one of a good reasonable vet in the lower mainland bc my chihuahuas need a cleaning
Mar 31, 2017
1 posts
Local Victoria vet gave an estimate of $3600-4200 for dental work on 2 small dogs.
Got the work done in Bellingham WA for $1500. Well worth the ferry and hotel expense.
Mar 19, 2013
542 posts
146 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I have 3 dogs, 17, 7, 4 years old. Fed dry food and a daily bullystick. Never had any dental issues. Just had their annual check up, Teeth are good. My vet always has said "whatever you are doing, keep doing it ".
Mar 13, 2007
68 posts
4 upvotes
more of an fyi to everyone interested in getting their dogs teeth cleaned. My dog, a 5 year old Maltipoo (15lb), recently ended up having two teeth extracted during her cleaning. Total cost was $950 in DT toronto. Original Estimate was $550 for only the cleaning.
Jul 25, 2008
682 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
whatthe555 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 7:32 pm
more of an fyi to everyone interested in getting their dogs teeth cleaned. My dog, a 5 year old Maltipoo (15lb), recently ended up having two teeth extracted during her cleaning. Total cost was $950 in DT toronto. Original Estimate was $550 for only the cleaning.
So your vet charged $400 for 2 extractions???
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
May 8th, 2017 12:33 am
So your vet charged $400 for 2 extractions???
But which teeth? Some teeth are more expensive than others to extract.
Jul 25, 2008
682 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 8:41 am
But which teeth? Some teeth are more expensive than others to extract.
Even if it was a molar or premolar, or the canines.... $200 more each seems very high, unless their vet charged based on the time alloted for surgery, so more time meaning more anesthesia, etc. I would avoid these types of quotes.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
May 8th, 2017 11:10 pm
Even if it was a molar or premolar, or the canines.... $200 more each seems very high, unless their vet charged based on the time alloted for surgery, so more time meaning more anesthesia, etc. I would avoid these types of quotes.
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you are vet? I do not think you are.

This is hardly my first rodeo with having teeth removed from a dog. There are many reasons why the cost may have been higher. Then there is gum work that may need to be done. It is not all black and white until the vet actually performs the surgery.

Our quotes always indicate a minimum and a maximum cost. Toronto is expensive.
Jul 25, 2008
682 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 9:45 am

This is hardly my first rodeo with having teeth removed from a dog. There are many reasons why the cost may have been higher. Then there is gum work that may need to be done. It is not all black and white until the vet actually performs the surgery.

Not a vet, but work at animal clinic... and have seen enough dental scaling procedures to have an idea that most 15lb 5 yr old dogs do not get extractions even with the most basic dental maintenance (brushing once a week, avoiding a wet diet, chew toys)...but of course not all dogs are the same and there are always exceptions. Whatthe555 did not mention if there was a higher end in the quote or if their vet informed them at the time of the procedure but if I was a pet owner and was expecting a $550 bill, I would be pretty pissed if the bill came up to $950 with out any notice. I'm sure most RFDealers here would be too.

I've reviewed your posts Blanche123 and see that a lot of your high costs are based on 'gum work'. Can you tell me exactly how your veterinarian described this gum work that has always been so prevalent in your pup's cleaning? Yes Toronto DT is expensive, but thats just the rent that separates it from other cities in the GTA. Other stuff like materials and supplies... etc is all from the same buying groups whom charges most vets across Ontario about the same prices. Now I don't know exactly where you take your dogs but have you ever really shopped around for prices and compared the breakdown of the items in the quotes? If you and your dogs are happy with your vet than thats fine.
Aug 23, 2008
45 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 9:45 am

Well that was incredibly rude.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you a vet, Blanche123? I don't think you are.

whatthe555 said they got an estimate of $550 and then paid nearly double that. At the very best it was a terrible estimate and at the very worst it was false advertisement.

In Ontario, if you get a written estimate from a car mechanic they are not legally allowed to charge you more than 10% on top of the estimate (i.e. 110%). Link

With whatthe555's case: $950 / $550 = 173%

$400 extra for two teeth extractions seems like they were charging by a very expensive fee schedule (i.e. $120/10 mins) in which case that should've been brought up in the estimate to reflect that but it doesn't sound like that was the case.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
StellarRay wrote:
May 28th, 2017 11:11 am
Well that was incredibly rude.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you a vet, Blanche123? I don't think you are.

whatthe555 said they got an estimate of $550 and then paid nearly double that. At the very best it was a terrible estimate and at the very worst it was false advertisement.

In Ontario, if you get a written estimate from a car mechanic they are not legally allowed to charge you more than 10% on top of the estimate (i.e. 110%). Link

With whatthe555's case: $950 / $550 = 173%

$400 extra for two teeth extractions seems like they were charging by a very expensive fee schedule (i.e. $120/10 mins) in which case that should've been brought up in the estimate to reflect that but it doesn't sound like that was the case.
I have never, ever pretended to be a vet. But I do trust our vet implicitly.

Also, I do not compare our dog to a car.

The vet determines the cost - and we have ALWAYS had to sign documentation allowing for a minimum to a maximum price range - the vet will often see things during the surgery. If someone wants to question the varying estimate the time to speak up is before the surgery, not after.

In no way would we want our dog to have to undergo a second surgery to correct an issue that could have been handled during the first surgery. It all depends on the extractions required - as in which tooth or teeth.

Didi-bee - I know you did not write the post that I am replying to, but not all of our dog's (or previous dogs' dentals) related to gum work. The last dental we had done on our current dog did, but not the first two. And none of our other dogs required the gum work, but they were small dogs with too many teeth and of a breed that develops issues with their teeth.

If I am rude, boy people really need to read the posts in Red Flag Deals.

I have though for a long while that Red Flag Deals is not for me - and obviously others have felt the same. I will not be responding to this thread or any other again. I have one post that I will send by PM to another member and then that will be it.