• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 10:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1537 posts
576 upvotes

Dog died suddenly, might not have made the right decisions

I loved this dog a lot. Although, I haven't been living with her for the past 7 years, only see the dog when visiting my moms place. Dog (Mimi) gets very excited every time it sees me, I give it full of love and hugs and play with it. Highlight of my day when usually visiting my mom. Can't ascertain its breed, but it might be a Shih Tzu - Maltese mix.

Anyways, what an emotional night it was me. Mimi was 2 days shy of her 10th birthday. My Mom calls me crying hysterical calling me Saturday night @ just before 11:30 pm to come down quickly as the dog is unresponsive, not knowing what to do. Details were vague when explaining, as she was really emotional. But making out the details from her call, It is safe to say the dog has passed, as she said it was last moving a bit after 11. It ate 8 pm and went for a walk around the block in her neighborhood at 9:30, came home and that was it.

Tried googling a 24 hr vet near my moms house, which was in Clarkson in Mississauga, but i figured it would be a moot point by the time I drove down there to my moms and to the vet, Got to my moms house sometime at 12:30 am. And I got pretty emotional, seeing the dog lying there in state, arms and legs stretched out ,with his head resting on the floor with eyes wide open and her tongue sticking out a bit, turning bluish. Dog was already feeling stiff as rigor mortis is setting in. All I can do is pet its head, and got a little teary eyed, I picked up its lifeless body, and gave it hug. Not noticing the pool of urine underneath, soaked on the underside of her body, which got on my top of my pants shirt. It's just creepy as it looks alive with eyes wide open and mouth agape with tongue sticking out a bit, but his face is just in a frozen state when I picked it up.

Next step is how to dispose of it. As it was dark out, there was low chance of being seen. We had a few ideas, but some just wasn't a good idea, among a few frustrating arguments to come up with an agreement. She had a small suitcase which she no longer wants, to use a "makeshift" coffin. Dressed her up in a bee outfit (which she bought a couple of days ago to wear and for upcoming Halloween season), wrapped her in her blanket, and another towel on top and another placed at the bottom of the luggage. she put some of the left over beggin strips and a bit leftover dry dogfood, and her other outfit she wears mostly, into the case.

Called up a couple friends for advise on how they dealt with this situation as they are pet owners, where they both mentioned to bury it If we can, If i cared a lot about the dog. Found a spade (a square shovel) in the backyard to borrow. Since my mom lives in a rental, an Idea was to bury it in the backyard of the house, which is pretty decent size. We decided against it as it was not her property, they would surely find out eventually when they come back and to do yard maintenance, which they can take legal action against my mom.

We drove by the animal control in central parkway, Which I had an idea just to drop it off at the front door to get it over with, but my mom knew a spot, so we decided to check it out. We drove to this elementary school, and beside the school was a fenced off mini forested area. Seeing as how it was pretty damn dark, and no knowing how uneven the ground is, and the mini forest looks un-maintained. and I wasn't going to climb over the fence, and look for suitable spot to dig. Since the damn shovel is a spade, I'd imagine it would be hard to dig the ground, since I needed a "Shovel" (pointed end)

My mom was thinking just hide the suitcase in a bunch of grass or other leaves in there. I told her not a good idea, as people will find it or something. So I suggested we just drop it at animal controls front door, and let it be. They were closed Sundays, so it would be there another day till Monday, until someone comes. We didn't do it as we saw a camera, and she didn't want her license plate to be caught. I found a piece of paper and pen in her car and wrote the dogs name and years lived and stuffed it in the front of the suitcase zipper pouch. Her other genius idea was to drive to Lakeshore and drop it in the lake Ontario. Not knowing if it was going to sink to the bottom or just float away. Which floating away make its more suspicious of someone seeing in the morning.

A couple of my friends called me back, and they said they can help out. Perfect timing as my mom and I were getting frustrated by all this on how to deal with this. My friend knew a public park near her house (I know, it's not legal or it's prohibited to do this, but whatever), that we can dig a hole and bury it. So off we went, Once we got there, I found out my friend had a proper shovel to dig with. It was already past 2 am at this point. Walked a 4 min distance from where I parked, and walked with the suitcase, found a suitable place up a hill kind of, where there is bushes or was it a low tree or something, with lots of weed like or some big leafy plants below plants. This is the spot we dug up, as to not a ruin the nearby grass. Sweating my ass off digging what looked like a 1 and half maybe 2 foot hole, which took about half hour to dig, friend assisted with other shovel to gather and pile the dirt aside. Digging deeper was getting harder as I hit some rocks. My friend suggested to just put the dog in its blanket in the hole so it can properly decompose covered in dirt. Being in the luggage might cause issues, as it was kind of big and bulky, might emit a smell and people will find it. As soon as my mom said that her clothes, toy, and dog food are in there, is what made it more emotional. Screw it, we just put the luggage in the hole. Was getting tired of digging, but could have kept going, but the rocks were making it hard.

Placed in there and put the dirt back, patted it down, and said our goodbyes. Now, that I've got back home and its 4 am. Went on the computer did a lot of googling and reading of what others do, And I'm regretting some of the things I've done. I definitely did not dig a deep enough hole, and my should have taken it out of the luggage and buried it in the dirt instead. It is too late now and what's done is done. I'm sure it will get exposed soon by another animal digging it up, from the possibility of the smell emanating from decomposition and a random passerby calls animal control if they go and inspect the luggage to see what it is. Which I'm sure will be the eventual fate of the buried dog. Other Ideas (which was after the fact what I had already had done) I was going to bury it in front my town house half hour away where I live beside my front door to right is a niche with a window, but it is exposed to frequent traffic, bus route, and people frequently walking by. Not a good idea to be seen doing this, as it looks awkward, and also not knowing if any pipelines or gas line underneath, If I planned to dig 4 ft or more.

I'm so sorry Mimi (2008-2018), I've done the best I can so quickly and unexpectedly in what was a complete emotional shock to me of your sudden passing. Was not thinking rationally all the way in trying to keep my composure, I hope you rest in piece, Mom and I will miss you very much.
Images
  • IMG_2730.JPG
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19824 posts
8435 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
RIP. She was a gorgeous animal.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2881 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Just FYI, in the future if you would consider cremation services, there are a number of places that have a 24-hour on-call service for emergencies like this.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1595 posts
736 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
So sorry about your loss.

Lost my dog a few months ago suddenly as well. He was cremated and I have the ashes and a plaque.

Such amazing loyal little creatures.

P.S For you and any other vet owners reading it. I live not far from Clarkson Village Animal Hospital. Had a neighbour who had a horrible experience there (I’ve never been there personally but had the # in the event of an emergency). I was horrified reading the reviews.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11222 posts
1671 upvotes
RFD
Kind of looks like a Yorkie in that photo. What a lovely dog that brings joy to the family for many years. I am sorry for your lost, I can only imagine what you both are going through. I am dreading the day it happens to our two dogs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1537 posts
576 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 3:51 pm
Kind of looks like a Yorkie in that photo. What a lovely dog that brings joy to the family for many years. I am sorry for your lost, I can only imagine what you both are going through. I am dreading the day it happens to our two dogs.
Definitely not a Yorkie lol, I have a friend that has one. Those dogs are tiny. Yeah, It was a shock to us. Very sad especially for my Mother, treats it like its her kid. I've been feeling emotional at work thinking about the memories I had with the dog. I've been thinking of going back to the burial site, and regretting that I did a kind of a bad job burying it. Dig it back up and give it a proper burial somewhere safer, But I'm just very busy, and won't have another chance until Saturday, until I can get some help. Still thinking about it though, as I'm not sure what the condition of it is now, or the smell, even though its in a suitcase.

I just wish I had spent more time with dog more often. My Mom always tells me, it gets so hyper and overly excited every time she knows I coming to visit, that it can sense I'm near and can't wait to jump on me, licking me non stop, wants belly rub the whole time, by lying on its back or sit on my lap looking at me wagging its tail vigorously.

Do me a favour. Hug your dogs that much more everyday as you leave them each day for work or whenever you leave your house. You just never know when the day will come.....
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2903 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your loss :(
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8671 posts
582 upvotes
SK
Its a shame it happened. We came home a few years ago to our dog dead in her house. No warnings, no nothing. Usual morning leaving, etc. Went outside to get her, and she died during the day. Was only 8.

terrible as it was and how much it hurt, I thinks its better fast and unexpected, then a long drawn out disease and then putting them down. I just wish we could of been there for her.

We buried her the next day, although it was winter, I took a pick ax and dug a hole and we burried her with her favorite blanket, said our prayers and goodbyes, and put in a cross.

Its still hard to take though, no matter how it happened.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1534 posts
280 upvotes
Ontario
Sorry for your loss.

The hole is not deep enough, something or someone will dig it up. There are two 24 hr animal hospitals on Hurontario. You could have waited until the next day to cremate or bury the dog.
Apr 19, 2018
56 posts
82 upvotes
Always tough to lose a family member. I'd go with cremation.

We lost a dog suddenly when it got out of the fenced yard and got run over. A policeman brought it home (dog had a license).

I was away at the time and the wife phoned me with the bad news. She wanted to know what we should do. I suggested we bury it in the back yard (our own house) in a recently dug garden, but it would have to wait until I got back. (I was in the Navy at the time)

The policeman overheard my wife's predicament, asked for a shovel and buried the dog himself. My wife wrapped the dog in his favourite blanket and the dog was buried that way.

Tough circumstance but I am so grateful that the policeman helped out.
Oct 2, 2018
16 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry for the loss, it can be devastating to lose an animal who is part of the family.

It took our family three years to get over our previous loss of a flat coated retriever, finally decided on a Shitzu / Havanese mix who looks to be similar to your pet.

As part of life we have to prepare for the eventual, the humane society is the place to take the remains. Our pet is just over a year old and when her time comes i would love to bury it in my backyard, however don't need other animals trying to dig her up. I believe the humane society mentioned that burying large animals (cat sized or greater) is not allowed anymore, unless it small like a hamster or rabbit.
Jul 1, 2017
155 posts
52 upvotes
sorry for your loss. I will lose my dog sooner or later. but I haven't experienced it yet and cannot understand the pain. I do dread that day though, as its inevitable.

but I cannot help to cringe at your actions on that night. It just reminds me totally of an episode of the Sopranos, Narcos, or Ozark.
For your own comfort, I think you should have found a large container, and put the body on ice first, to preserve him so that you could work with more options and a clearer mind the next day. That's basically what funeral homes do too.

The way that it was all hurriedly done, semi-illegally, and in fear, should not be the way you say goodbye to such a loved one.

In any case, sorry for your loss.
Jul 16, 2018
28 posts
3 upvotes
Oh that's sad man. RIP. Did she eat something that caused her untimely demise? Chocolates could be one thing for instance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8671 posts
582 upvotes
SK
dennist101 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:01 am
Oh that's sad man. RIP. Did she eat something that caused her untimely demise? Chocolates could be one thing for instance.
It doesnt matter how it happened, it just did. hard enoughto deal with without second guessing if it was something the owner did

Ours died suddenly, and the wife wanted to get her checked out to see what it was. I told her no, no sense, wont bring her back, its just life
May 7, 2006
303 posts
12 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 11:15 am
It doesnt matter how it happened, it just did. hard enoughto deal with without second guessing if it was something the owner did

Ours died suddenly, and the wife wanted to get her checked out to see what it was. I told her no, no sense, wont bring her back, its just life
Some people need it for closure.. I agree it's not going to bring the dog back, but might also help with preventing a similar situation if you ever get a another dog...