• Oct 18th, 2016 8:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3051 posts
474 upvotes

A dog on a diet is a terrible thing

But it worked. Our guy has lost the 4.5 lbs. he gained over the past couple of months.

We are very careful because he is inclined to gain weight and with all of his fur it is hard to tell - the vet definitely has to feel his ribs. He lives to eat and can count. The only way is to reduce his kibble and that is what we did.

He had gained 3 lbs. and was put on a diet. The vet weighed him and he had gained another 1.5 lbs. I was horrified because I was 100% certain he would have lost at least a bit of weight.

We have now slightly increased his kibble - but I will be paying close attention to his weight. There is of course the chance that he has lost the weight due to another issue which has not yet presented itself.

Until recently we fully expected that he would live to be around 19 (many of his breed do) - while others live only to be 14. We are now looking at age 14 as is our vet. He is healthy otherwise - well he appears to be.

Tomorrow is Cartrophen shot day - I dread it. I bribe him with blueberries. Not the best in terms of natural sugar content I know, but he loves them and stays focused on them. His arthritis was most definitely sudden onset - as noted by others who know him. He is great post his Cartrophen shot though.

Meanwhile the humans continue to go to the fridge! He gives us the "look". But since his groomer is behind our vet clinic - same entrance - we can't have an obese dog. He is worse than our hounds were when it comes to food and they were serious hoovers.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3442 posts
1818 upvotes
Ontario
...my dogs been dieting for the last six months. He's down from a chubby 86lbs to a svelte 76lbs.

A good portion of his day is spent looking at an empty food bowl!

Poor guy. It's hard to cut them back when they're so onditioned to being overfeed...hebs
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3051 posts
474 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2016 1:15 pm
Our dog we fed him mostly fresh beef liver that was boiled until tender.He loved it and hates can dog food.Once in a while he got human food.He lived a extra 3 years longer than he should have.Vet even said it was because of the food we fed him.She was a close friend and never once upsell on anything to us.
It is wonderful that your pup lived the extra 3 years. We used to boil liver as well for a couple of our dogs - used of course as a topping. Actually one of the dogs we fed it to was a dog we adopted at age 7 who lived to be 20.

We are now mixing Fromm food with the Hill's j/d - it has greatly reduced the size of his output - he is a 25 lb. dog, not a Great Dane after all. Our vet agrees that the j/d is too much in "poop" for our dog. Although he did not get cannon butt, thankfully.

But I am now concerned. He has a mass on his back left quarter - he was groomed yesterday and it was apparent. It isn't a specific lump or a wart but an under the skin mass. It was not there when he was last groomed in July - and it wasn't there a couple of days ago. We always run our hands over him every couple of days - the double coat does hide things. He loves his rub downs - I do his top half and my husband does his bottom as our pup lies on the bed spread eagled telling us when we miss a spot.

Apparently it could be a reaction from his vaccinations - at least one was given in that exact area, but it was several months ago - however, it could be the cause I was told. However I am still very worried. We have a vet appointment to have it looked at - the vet will determine whether he needs a needle biopsy. Certainly he is not in any pain in that area or we would all know about it.

His Cartrophen shots are given in the upper area of his back so that is not the cause.

It is awful when our pets have possible health issues. Certainly most of us have been called back to the doctor for a retest and we just deal with it but when it is our dog or cat it always seems worse.

I am hoping for the best, but I am thinking the worst (probably due to having mini Dachshunds with all of the back/neck disc disease issues). They had definite lumps but not masses - which were removed. Under the armpits usually making walking difficult.

Our guy would love the smell of boiling liver. There is nothing our dog doesn't like. He is sitting here looking at me. I just told him that if his biopsy is normal I will cook him some. Of course if he does have a problem I will be cooking the liver for him - a lot.

Thanks for reminding me about the liver!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3051 posts
474 upvotes
hebsie wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2016 1:35 pm
...my dogs been dieting for the last six months. He's down from a chubby 86lbs to a svelte 76lbs.

A good portion of his day is spent looking at an empty food bowl!

Poor guy. It's hard to cut them back when they're so onditioned to being overfeed...hebs
I agree. If your pup can tell time he is probably telling you when it is time for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Our dog has been known to sit in his empty bowl.

Good job on your pup losing the weight. I bet it made you feel guilty going to the fridge for food for yourself. Our dog can open the fridge door - next thing you know he will be making himself a sandwich.

I didn't plan on his losing the weight so quickly but it is gone. Now of course with the suddenly appearing mass on his left backside I am concerned that it wasn't his diet alone that cause the weight loss. I had been watching him just in case until the mass appeared late yesterday.

I hope your pup keeps the weight off. It is so hard. If we fed our guy the recommended amount shown on the bag he would be Ten Ton Tessie.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
One of the few things I can't stand are dogs begging for food. This is why I don't get a dog. If I can't keep an animal stimulated/entertained enough to keep its mind off eating all the time, I probably shouldn't have a dog.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
Syne wrote:One of the few things I can't stand are dogs begging for food. This is why I don't get a dog. If I can't keep an animal stimulated/entertained enough to keep its mind off eating all the time, I probably shouldn't have a dog.
This is a reinforced behaviour.
All it takes is one association of your food = something for them, and you've got a begging dog.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3051 posts
474 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 10:41 am
One of the few things I can't stand are dogs begging for food. This is why I don't get a dog. If I can't keep an animal stimulated/entertained enough to keep its mind off eating all the time, I probably shouldn't have a dog.
For once we are in agreement - please do not get a dog.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13794 posts
1304 upvotes
I didn't realize we had disagreed in the past. Confused Face
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3091 posts
899 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Sep 28th, 2016 10:41 am
good for you that you can admit it ! :)
Oct 10, 2016
9 posts
Montreal
Dogs are fatter than ever. Obesity can be life-threatening. My neighbor's dog got diabetes because of obesity and lack of exercise, that is why I am particularly concerned about dog food calories and take my dog work out everyday. Now he is only 2 years old, hope he can live longer than he should have.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2542 posts
743 upvotes
Kingston
My little guy was diagnosed with serious hip issues at 10 weeks (no question of getting rid of him as he's a rescue and an amazing dog). Since then he's been on a strict diet and is a perfect weight and shape. What should have been a diagnosis that would make it hard for him to move is really ignored when you see him. He has a strange gait but plays and acts normally. We strictly measure his kibble, feed him carrots, broccoli and fresh veggies along with a high quality wet food or boiled chicken, liver etc. If he put any weight on above what he ideally should be he'd have serious issues. He is part lab so he's constantly looking for food though. With this guy we'd really be killing him with kindness if we fed him more.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3442 posts
1818 upvotes
Ontario
Blanche123 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2016 1:56 pm

I hope your pup keeps the weight off. It is so hard. If we fed our guy the recommended amount shown on the bag he would be Ten Ton Tessie.
...just caught your post. So my guy is holding steady at 75lbs. And by choice, I'm still doing weekly weigh-ins at the vet, just to stay on track.

And at 10.5yrs old, he's walking 12-15km/day and never looked so good --> this is after major knee surgery last year (that's when he gained the extra 'love poundage').

One you dial in the appropriate amount for your dog and his/her activity level, canine weight management is all rather simple! No dog needs to be fat/over-weight (barring uncontrollable health issues like thyroid disorders, etc....)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3051 posts
474 upvotes
It is a good thing that our dog is not normally overweight. We have had Beagles and Dachshunds so know all about keeping the weight off - particularly with Dachshunds who suffered from IV - 2 having had the horrible surgeries.

Our current dog is the worst that our vet has ever met when it comes to food. He lives for food. Due to his very fluffy coat the vet has to feel his ribs to determine if he is under/over weight - this during his physical whens she is prescribing his various meds. He looks the same whether he has an extra 5 lbs. or not.

This was the second time he had to go on a diet and we caught it fast. Those weekly weigh-ins help. He is also able to make himself appear very thin just be flattening is fur - a trait very common to his breed.

Reducing kibble is most definitely the best approach. As is lettuce - he gets a lot of lettuce - and since he will eat anything, this helps.

Now if only people would pay the same attention to their respective weights and food types then think how much healthier we might all be - barring diseases over which we have no control.