[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5176 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto

Dog Feeling Down ... Wont Jump All Of A Sudden

I have an 8 year old Bichon Frise.

Ever since last thursday, he wont jump on the couch anymore. He is hesitating.

He runs around and walks around normally tho even jumped on my bed which is taller then the couches in the living room.

The obvious would be that something is wrong with his legs orsomething.

Honestly, I'm broke and dont wanna go to vet cause its gonna cost an arm and a leg even if nothing is wrong with the dog itself.

Has anyone come across a situation before. ?

Any ideas ?

Im gonna wait a week or so , see if it gets better, if not then i guess i will have to go to vet :cry:
11 replies
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like he's hurt.

Better get him seen to before it gets worse.

Hope he's better soon.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
maybe your dog had an incident- stumbled, etc and it freaked him out

do you have a little bench that you can put against the couch

and he can use it as a ladder
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2003 upvotes
Nowhere
Have you examined your dogs legs? If the dog recoils in pain, you know there is a physical problem. If you can't find anything physical, it sounds like it might just be mental especially if the dog will jump on the bed. The dog likely jumped on the couch and fell off or something on the couch (or nearby) scared him. Pick up the dog and put him on the couch. Let him examine things and reassure him that it is ok.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1040 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Before you do anything else, make sure he is not jumping on your bed to prevent further injuring his legs if he is injured, since you said your bed is even higher than your couch.
Nov 23, 2008
150 posts
1 upvote
Could just be arthritis, is he physically limping when he walks around or favouring a leg in some way?

Since the dog is 8, sounds like it would be around the right time to show symptoms of arthritis..
Of course, I would get a vet to check it out first to make sure that the leg isn't fractured first or anything more serious in any way..
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2973 posts
500 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Yep, probably time to switch pup to senior food if he isn't already on it. One of the reasons I like the Orijen senior, the Glucosamine and Chondroitin content. You could give a joint supplement as well - I've done that in the past with an older dog - your vet may want you to buy their brand - so research ahead of time...there are lots of very good brands available online.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5176 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
guys just an update.

After buying this Natural Drop Medicine for arthiritis from walmart, my boy is much better and pretty much back to his normal self ...
i think what happened was my mom was away for a day and he is really attatched to her, so when she came back he went nuts doing laps around the apartment and jumping all over the place. he mustve hurt his leg.
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
Hey Hugh, good to hear! I have had good experiences with my dog(s), who were mildly arthritic, and glucosamine sulfate.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
17 upvotes
Is he eating? If he's not then it's serious otherwise an injury.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5994 posts
403 upvotes
MichelleC6722 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 6:08 pm
Did you find out what it was my dog started doing the same thing
Ummm....two things:

(1) Necromancy post. This thread is eight years old
(2) The OP posted an update for everyone saying what happened and what they did to fix it
HughG wrote:
Aug 8th, 2010 3:51 pm
guys just an update.

After buying this Natural Drop Medicine for arthiritis from walmart, my boy is much better and pretty much back to his normal self ...
i think what happened was my mom was away for a day and he is really attatched to her, so when she came back he went nuts doing laps around the apartment and jumping all over the place. he mustve hurt his leg.
SMH....

I hope your pup recovers quickly if it's an injury. Hopefully it's just nothing.