Dog has Cancer Lump, facing dilemma.

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2017 3:43 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3119 posts
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
I was in a very similar situation with my Beagle of only 10 years old. She developed breast cancer. No visible signs of anything except a bit more fatigue.Spent the initial $475 and then she was scheduled to have the $650 surgery. 2 weeks before surgery, she got REALLY bad. Tired. Vomiting blood. No solid waste. Paid the $165 for euthanasia the following Friday (3 days) after she vomited blood. Disappointed But Relieved Face Disappointed Face
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
22793 posts
rocking23nf wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 2:34 pm
its not so much finiances, yes i cringe when paying the bill, but we make a decent salary, i keep thinking in my head im throwing money at a problem that isnt going to get better. today its 500, next week its 600, then maybe its 2000, who knows, when my dog is nearing the end of his life anyways. i keep thinking maybe its best to just let him be, maybe he will be ok for 6 months, maybe 12, who knows.
You are basing this decision solely on money, or at least that's what this post appears to indicate. In my opinion, that's not something to base this opinion on, but unfortunately I realize many people do. When you got the dog, you committed to it for life. Is that time now? I don't know because you haven't laid out enough facts. Talk to your vet. If the tumour is removed, what kind of chances are there that all the cancer will be gone? What is the life expectancy if you do the surgery compared to without? What about quality of life? Those the questions you need answers for, then you'll know whether it's worth $600 or not. If my vet told me it likely wouldn't change anything, then $600 probably is too much money. If my vet told me there was a 95% chance the cancer would be cured, then I would gladly spend $6,000.

Don't put your dog down because it's reached its life expectancy and you're facing large bills, put your dog down only if that's what you and your vet believes is the best choice based on his health.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
14967 posts
eager beaver wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 6:08 am
Since your vet is recommending removing it, I would take his advice if you trust him, but it doesn't sound like you do.
I wouldn't let the kidney issue be the tipping point. You stand to get some golden years with your dog.
Vets have bills to pay too. Not saying that's the case here but an unscrupulous vet could easily fleece customers esp with older pets.

My dog died pretty quickly about 2 years ago. She had a long, happy life and one night I went to move her and she just fell off the bed. Took her to the vet and there was nothing they could do (fluid build-up around organs). Still cost me over $1600 for the last visit. At least I was holding her paw as the life left her eyes with the lethal injection. I'll never forget that moment.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

— Unknown
Rex, eat the salad.
Sr. Member
Mar 19, 2013
661 posts
Prince Albert, Sask.
sprung. Great post. Dear to my heart. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 16, 2006
5960 posts
I'd spend the $600 on the surgery. I think it's worth it. It's not a lot of money for what would quite possibly result in a much longer (and happier) life span for your furry friend. If the surgery was $2000+, I'd have a harder time with the decision, but you mentioned money isn't all that much of an issue for you and the amount ($600) isn't that large, so I think you should do it.

If further surgery or treatment is required later on down the road, re-assess and go from there.

We do not have pet insurance for our dog, but we do self-insure. We set aside $100 / month into a dedicated bank account solely for dog-related medical expenses. We've had to go into it once for an emergency that happened about 4 months ago, and it covered almost everything that was needed without any issues or concerns regarding insurance, what is or is not covered, etc. So far, it's been working out well for us.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
5014 posts
I've had a few friends that were in your situation. In every case, sadly the dog died shortly after the cancer removal surgery.

How large is the tumor? And where exactly is it located? Your vet should have an idea if it's worth doing the surgery. Try taking all the results and consulting another vet for a second opinion or third. Being an 11 year old dog, surgery in itself might kill him. It's really a tough call but @ 600$ I'd bite the bullet and try. He will either get better from that point or worse.

With that said, at 11.5 he has lived a full life, 10 years is a good median age for larger dogs.