Pets

Dog newly dealing with anxiety. How to get my old dog back?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2017 10:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto

Dog newly dealing with anxiety. How to get my old dog back?

We live in Toronto. In the past 3 months, there's been a ridiculous amount of rain. Regularly, thunderstorms are quite few and far between, but we've gone through a *long* stretch with some popping up every couple of days for months! My dog has always been afraid of the thunder but the insane amount that he's been subjected to in the past few weeks has turned him into a permanent scaredy cat.

I have a basement which I mostly soundproofed. Before, I'd bring him downstairs and put a bit of music on to drown out the rest of the noise. Now, even when it rains (with no thunder whatever), he starts shaking. Bringing him downstairs doesn't work any longer as he knows rain is happening outside. Just to make things more cruel, now that the thunderstorms seem to have largely stopped, July 1st rolls around and for the past 4 days, we've had people lighting up firecrackers and fireworks which scare him silly.

Today, there were roofers at the neighbor's house. I let out my dog and he heard a gentle hammering sound, started shaking, and wanted to come in ASAP! Going outside with him, urging him to play and petting him did nothing.

He's never been like this and just want my old dog back. He's a 9-year old lab mix pictured here. My wife and I love him dearly and are experienced dog owners but have never had to deal with this before.

Any techniques or ideas that worked for removing that behavior from their dog?
7 replies
Mar 11, 2012
247 posts
59 upvotes
have you tried anxiety blankets?

anything new happen in his environment?

a sudden change in behavior is usually something unless he is getting old
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
gqballa wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:38 am
have you tried anxiety blankets?

anything new happen in his environment?

a sudden change in behavior is usually something unless he is getting old
No, nothing new in his environment at all. Just a crazy amount of thunderstorms and fireworks which have rendered him fearful.

Anxiety blankets and thundershirts are useless, in our experience. :(
Mar 11, 2012
247 posts
59 upvotes
a vet can prescribe a xanax like drug for him if needed.

Is anything else different?

Is he Neutered?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1326 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
gqballa wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 3:47 pm
a vet can prescribe a xanax like drug for him if needed.

Is anything else different?

Is he Neutered?
Nothing is different. Just an overload of noises which make him nervous.

Yes, he's neutered.
Jul 7, 2017
1 posts
So sorry to hear your pup is suffering due to fireworks and thunderstorms. If you haven't already, speak with your vet. Many of our pets suffer from anxiety and there are a number of safe and effective medications and techniques to help them. Best of luck!
Banned
Jun 19, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
Try not to give pharmaceuticals. Find an all natural option. Maybe a supplement will help.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36682 posts
2543 upvotes
Toronto
I was watching dog whisperernor some sort of dog trajning show like that.

They mention that you must have a firm and commanding voice. Like the alpha dog leader.
Dogs are pack animals and you the owner are the leader.

We like to talk to our animals like they're little babies. Which is fun and cute. But when calming dogs during times of stress... this actually disturbs them. Because their alpha leader sounds weak and scared during a time of percieved danger.

But do your own research to confirm and consult a professional dog trainer if neccessary!!