Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes

Dog owner not picking up poop

I ratted someone out today for not picking up their dogs poop....this disgusts me a lot especially since I have a big dog (with big poop) and I always pick up after him. We live in the same complex of lowrise apartment buildings. So its not the same building but we all have a connected lawn.

I was out of town for 2.5 months and came back and found outside this particular building there were tons of dog poop, meaning it was probably someone who just moved in recently. I reported it to the property manager and they said they would put up some signs telling people to pick up after their animal. Today I actually see the guy leave the poop and walk back into the apartment building (he had 3 dogs with him...that's a lot of poop that can add up quickly!) so again I complained to the property manager and described in which building he lived (there are only like 11 units in each building...won't be hard to identify who has 3 dogs).

Anyways...I wasn't really sure what to do. I was across the street at the time and was thinking of going there to talk to him about it but I knew if I went over there with my dog, they would be barking loud and jumping (my dog isn't super well trained to behave when other dogs are around) and it would be a mess.

What would you have done? The manager didn't say but I'm positive I can't be the only person who has complained about this guy. I mean if I lived in that building, you literally walk outside the front door a few steps and you can see like over 20 piles of dung. It was even more noticible today because it just snowed overnight so the entire lawn was white except for 5 piles of poop sitting right on TOP of the snow!

How do these people even function in society?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
1883 posts
79 upvotes
North York
...well they are either selfish or slobs. Unfortunetly most are semi-functional but they don't conform to social norms as you have discovered.

I might let it go the first time or two, but after that I would have yelled at him, even from accross the street.
Hey aren't you going to pick up after your pets? No, did you forget a bag? Here I'll tell you what, I've got a spare bag that I can give you right now.

Embarsement can work wonders.
Be careful shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart they repeatedly sell expired baby/food/health products.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18159 posts
1062 upvotes
these types of people really anger me...they are so selfish and have no respect for others or property..

You are lucky that you were able to see the culprit in action.

In the condo I live in, there are a few lawns out in front but there are a few people that do not poop & scoop. It is such a problem that property management has already posted signs outside and put on the bulletin board advising them to poop & scoopy or face fines but the poop is still there and I haven't seen anyone not scooping.

The worst is near my parent's house...there is a beautiful park with nice grass near their area but someone or some people do not scoop....nasty piles of large poop and it is so easy to step on given the large grassy area and you can't see when you go out at night.

Again, I don't know who the culprit(s) is but if I ever find them, I will give them a piece of my mind...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7537 posts
375 upvotes
Good that you reported them.

Mrs Stock use to live in a small condo where there was a prissy princess that was too good to pick up poop for her designer dog. Complained to property manager and surprisingly enough, the signs put an end to it. Although I think for her case, she knew what she was doing wasn't ok, but she did it hoping she could get away with it.

For those who just don't give a crap about others, signs won't do squat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
I got email back from the property manager. They said they know who it is and when I complained last week, they already sent them an email about it and thanked me for letting them know.

Since I just saw it again yesterday, I guess the guy doesn't care, and that the property manager can't really do much?

I am considering
a) reporting to bylaw officials or whoever takes care of that stuff
b) staking the ground with signs saying "pick up after your dogs you worthless excuse for a human"
c) doing nothing and complaining online because I don't want him to scratch my car or kick my dog or something
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9021 posts
562 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 2:19 pm
I got email back from the property manager. They said they know who it is and when I complained last week, they already sent them an email about it and thanked me for letting them know.

Since I just saw it again yesterday, I guess the guy doesn't care, and that the property manager can't really do much?

I am considering
a) reporting to bylaw officials or whoever takes care of that stuff
b) staking the ground with signs saying "pick up after your dogs you worthless excuse for a human"
c) doing nothing and complaining online because I don't want him to scratch my car or kick my dog or something

It's possible the email never reached the owner... Ask the Property Manager to make a letter and put leave it on the unit door.

Multiple offenses can evetually lead to eviction (depending on condo by-laws). Take pictures next time you see it happen and send them to the property manager to show that the owner clearly doesn't heed any warnings.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
I really wish I had one of those long lensed cameras that make the fast multiple picture shutter sounds. Always wanted to be a PI.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
If you're certain of who it is and don't mind the effort, you could, y'know, make the poop reappear on that person's doorstep. These people aren't going to care until it affects them, not others.
Nov 26, 2011
806 posts
87 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 9:17 pm
If you're certain of who it is and don't mind the effort, you could, y'know, make the poop reappear on that person's doorstep. These people aren't going to care until it affects them, not others.

+1
grab a rubber glove and smear it all over their front door :D
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1551 posts
424 upvotes
Prince George
jordanr19871 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 11:39 am
+1
Under car door handles and on windshield wipers are also handy spots.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3552 posts
83 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 9:17 pm
jordanr19871 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 11:39 am
+1
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 1:02 pm
Under car door handles and on windshield wipers are also handy spots.

Yeah, fight dumb with dumber. :facepalm:
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1551 posts
424 upvotes
Prince George
FrogPrince wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 1:51 pm
Speaking of which: how about the Jim Carrey solution from Me, Myself and Irene where he goes and takes a dump in the neighbour's yard himself? :D

I should have added smileys to that previous post. Though it's fun to think about revenge, it's probably not a good idea in real life.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
FrogPrince wrote:
Jan 26th, 2012 1:51 pm

Hey, I didn't mean smear it on their door or car. Bagging it up and leaving it (tied) on their doorstep makes sense. It isn't aggressive or destructive, it doesn't escalate a situation, it just shows them that here's a problem, pick it up and put it in the trash. They can't pretend that it doesn't exist if it's right there.
× < >