Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2687 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto

Dog and Toy Guarding.

I know my friend's dog for three years now and we get along very well. She is now 10 but still has a lot of energy! However, what I have observed is that she would NEVER let anyone touch her toys if they are near her...If you do, then she will try to bite you (she even tried biting me as well)...I thought that this behavior is unacceptable and one can never get the ball from her mouth, unless she drops it off by herself...

Given the dog's age, can this behavior be addressed at all?

Let me know what your thoughts are!
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
9 replies
Dec 15, 2015
474 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 9:35 pm
I know my friend's dog for three years now and we get along very well. She is now 10 but still has a lot of energy! However, what I have observed is that she would NEVER let anyone touch her toys if they are near her...If you do, then she will try to bite you (she even tried biting me as well)...I thought that this behavior is unacceptable and one can never get the ball from her mouth, unless she drops it off by herself...

Given the dog's age, can this behavior be addressed at all?

Let me know what your thoughts are!
Yes it can, but it will be very hard at that age. Is the dog protective of its food as well?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5526 posts
2783 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Our 8 year old rescue dog is the same. I just distract him as opposed to trying to pull a toy away from him. We have two dogs (one rescue and one I've had from a puppy). The dog I raised from a puppy has none of the issues that our rescue has. Oh well, we love him in spite of his issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2687 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
TheMaterial wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 5:09 pm
Yes it can, but it will be very hard at that age. Is the dog protective of its food as well?

I never try to touch the dog when she's eating... However she doesn't mind me touching her food and water bowls as she knows i will be likely giving her food.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Jul 5, 2004
23206 posts
2794 upvotes
Google nothing in life is free. Start there.

Although it's not even your dog so you don't really have any say in training the dog. Plus training an older dog takes time. At this point, correcting such behaviour could take a very long time and it will require constant work.
Oct 6, 2015
101 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes you train by trading.

Give her one toy then trade a different one with her. So she only gets 1 piece at a time and if she wants something else she has to give.

The goal is so she realized she is not losing her toy but instead she is getting another one (possibly better one).
Apr 19, 2018
56 posts
82 upvotes
An improperly trained or untrained dog can be possessive, for whatever reason. As a non-owner, I'd just steer clear of such dogs. Only the owner can take the steps to get inappropriate behaviour to stop.
Jul 16, 2018
28 posts
3 upvotes
It can be, it would require more effort from the owner. It'll also require more time but IDK how much that dog is willing to give to it. Another thing is that at this age, it's usually a downhill for dogs and I'm not sure if he'll be too pumped up about the training at this point of her life.
Nov 12, 2014
446 posts
248 upvotes
Kingston, ON
KevinS276252 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 1:41 am
terrible advice here....
Thanks for adding to the conversation with your useful post.