Pets

Dog and TTC subway ride during peak hours

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 11:27 pm
May 10, 2017
1 posts

Dog and TTC subway ride during peak hours

Hi all this is my first post. I recently got a small dog that will grow to be 15lb. I am to be able to take the GO train up to Barrie on Fridays and i realized that peak hours on ttc end at 7pm and that leaves no time to get the last GO train :( I need to just go South on the ttc from Summerhill and it is never ever busy going south at 6pm. Last train leaves at 6:45pm. Has anybody ever had an issue with dogs and riding a train that isnt even busy? i could even put him into a carrier thats the size of a small suitcase...
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
Its really rare that they stop people. If its not busy you should be fine, its not like they're going to enforce it. Its when it's crunch time and everyone is trying to get home is when it gets really hard. Considering your dog is really small and that you can just hold him/her. Its when your dog is too big and the trains/buses are too crowded when things are not in your favor.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
Good luck taking your dog on the GO train. They're super tight assed about it.
They'll remove you immediately if you slip through with it .... TTC you will prob be okay. As long as it stays on you lap.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Re the TTC - I would get a carrier. One of our groomer's dogs weighs 12 lbs. She has been stopped - much will depend on the staff on duty at the time.

Your pup will be safer in the carrier as well - if you don't open it no one in our litigious society can say that your dog caused them a potential issue.

Remember though that a 15 lb. dog does not weigh as little as you might think!

And, also, watch out for dog magnets - you know the type of person I mean. The type of person that every dog wants to say hello to and sit on their laps (note - I am one of those people).

I can't speak for the GO Train, but I would believe MrsPotato. I know that you can't take a pet on Via Rail until there is a baggage car and the pet must be put with the baggage. Not happening. According to Via Rail allowing pets access to regular coaches (even say 2 specific animal friendly coaches with the pet in a carrier) is one of the most frequent suggestions. Last time I checked Amtrak had the same policy.

Our dog is not one who would do well on the subway, so I have never tried it.
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I had a 60lb dog that I used to take on the TTC but that was almost 20 years ago. Different times.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26211 posts
39761 upvotes
Toronto
I used to take GO and TTC with my old beagle mix. About 35lb dog. I did have a carrier for GO and would put her in it if the GO staff asked. Rest of the time just had carrier with me. Pain to lug around but better than getting kicked off the train, and they WILL do that sometimes.

TTC is pretty lax. Only once did a drive deny my entry to a bus during rush hour with my dog. Just grabbed next bus instead.

streetcar is even easier now with all door boarding, driver may not even see your dog at all
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote: Good luck taking your dog on the GO train. They're super tight assed about it.
They'll remove you immediately if you slip through with it .... TTC you will prob be okay. As long as it stays on you lap.
Straight from the GO website
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/travelling/faq.aspx
May I bring my pet on the GO Train or GO Bus?
We allow animals on board our trains and buses when they are in enclosed, secure containers that do not inconvenience other passengers. Containers are not needed for seeing-eye, hearing-ear, or special-needs dogs required by passengers for independent travel.