Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5462 posts
632 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 9:02 am
barbmans wrote:
Oct 9th, 2016 3:02 pm
I'm not aware of the exact rules in Ontario. From an immunological point of view an adult dog should not need booster vaccines within 1 to 3 years (depending on who's research you rely on) after getting a vaccine - but legislation migth lag behind. I THINK if we are looking at things from a legal point of view most North American states/provinces only require a rabies vaccine.
Barb - I will check - perhaps it is a Toronto thing? I am not the only one who has been told the same. It might relate only to the rabies vaccine but I have been told (only in the last couple of years - around the time that vets started using computers during the exam) that this is now the law. It is most definitely not a cash grab by our vet!
In Ontario, the only vaccine needed by law is rabies.
Jul 25, 2008
838 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Currently work in a vet clinic in Ontario...
By law, rabies is required for cats/dogs by 14-16 weeks of age. The booster vaccine is then given 1 year later. Even though the vet most likely gave a 3 year vaccine at 14-16 weeks of age, you still need to come back 1 year later for that booster. Depending on the manufacturer of the vaccine (Pfizer, Boehringer Ingelhiem and Merial are the main ones), the veterinarian tends to follow their suggested guidelines of when to re-vaccinate after that booster. A couple of years ago, it was every 2 years, now our vet has switched to every 3 years based on the manufacturer's suggestions. The vet still does encourage you to bring your pet in annually for a physical exam even though you're getting the rabies vaccine every 3 years. Also, if you plan to travel, the DA2PP (Distemper, Adenonvirus, Parvovirus and Parainfluenza) vaccine is also suggested in most other countries.

Bordetella, Leptospirosis, and Lyme is recommended annually but its really up to the caregiver. From working at a vet, I find most people avoid these vaccines due to cost and not due to health issues. Once in a while, we'll see some dogs with allergic reactions especially with the smaller canines but the prevention route is always much better than having to treat. Now if your pet stays indoors and rarely comes into contact with other animals or feces outside, then the chances of catching anything is very low.

If you are really worried about all of the vaccines, then get a titre test but this will cost 3x more than the vaccine itself.
Aug 1, 2006
409 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
What I'm planning on doing in the rabies vaccine every 3 years and the core vaccine every 5 years without doing any titres. The bordetella, leptospirosis and lyme vaccines are more dangerous to the dog because of allergic reactions, don't last long, and aren't very effective. eg. leptospirosis effectiveness is against a few strains only and doesnt last a year. Lyme vaccine causes a lot of allergic reactions- they took the human version off the market a few years ago. Bordetella only covers one strain causing kennel cough, so your dog is still not fully protected going into a kennel stay.
Mar 7, 2007
11 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Didi_beee wrote:
Oct 11th, 2016 12:16 am
If you are really worried about all of the vaccines, then get a titre test but this will cost 3x more than the vaccine itself.
Titre tests used to be much more expensive than vaccines but that is not the case anymore. I took my dog in for his annual exam in September and opted to titre him instead of doing DHPP booster. The titre test was $25 and we got the results in two days. His antibody levels were within desired limits and he was last vaccinated 3 years ago. Also, if travelling to US by car, they only ask for rabies. Not sure if it's the same for air travel.
Apr 25, 2011
959 posts
483 upvotes
British Columbia
The titre for rabies is the expensive one... Something like 200 dollars.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
I've never vaccinated my dogs.
Only rabies.
Personal choice I made.
In ONTARIO, ONLY RABIES is legally required.