• Dec 20th, 2006 7:38 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes

Dogs and engineered hardwoord

Any experience on dogs scratching engineered hardwood. Is it durable? Assuming walking and some running by my dog around 70 pounds

Thanks
Bmp5
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It absolutely *will* happen Bmp5. We're currently looking at replacing our whole main floor with teak.

Because hubby is a flooring installer we had a really frank discussion about the with the store he works for currently. A no BS kind of chat as we have 3 kids and 2 dogs. I was given a board of engineered and a board of laminate and told to run my thumbnail across both. I was able to put a really nice scratch in the engineered with little to no effort. Engineered wood can't be refinished more than about 3 times depending on the thickness of the wood layer, some only once. If you're planning on being in the house long term it may not be the best choice...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
It will definitely scratch, just like hardwood does. It you're not willing to get rid of the dog and don't want scratches, ceramic might be your best bet.

laminate might not scratch, but it looks meh...
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Not only will it scratch and over time ruin the floor..hardwood or laminate, is probably the worst floor for animals (dogs). We have a 95lb pooch who loves running after the cat but he goes ass over tea kettle everytime he tries to take off on our actual hardwood....he's learned though, now he only puts it into high gear when he's on the carpet but still you can tell its very hard on him...especially since he's had 2 ACL surgeries.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
The reason i wanted something else than carpet is because my dog shreds a lot. What are my options then?

Hardwood floors are so nice :(
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Bmp5 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2006 1:05 pm
The reason i wanted something else than carpet is because my dog shreds a lot. What are my options then?

Hardwood floors are so nice :(
Tile might be better, but you'd probably have to put some kind of heating underneath it, otherwise it can get very cold or very hot in direct sunlight.

My old boss put in lino everywhere..but that was because he said carpet was very unhealthy as it traps all kinds of dirt and odours.

Maybe figure out why your dog sheds so much...diet can play a huge part. We had changed our dogs diet to alleviate allergies and we noticed a huge drop in the amount he shed..it was quite the change...but we couldn't stay on that food as his allergies were aggrevated by it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
636 upvotes
Muskoka
My brother in laws new engineered hardwood was all scratched up in weeks, and they only have a little pug.

Laminate (good quality, nice looking laminate) is the only reasonable choice, unless you want to tile your whole house. Carpet is gross, especially when you live cheek to jowl with animals.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
971 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Dogs won't scratch laminate. The other option if you want the look of hardwood is to have a look at some of the pure vinyl products. It comes in "planks" that get glued down. It has the look of wood, and some would say the feel of wood also. This option will cost you more than a really good laminate though...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
we have a 120lb bernese mtn dog and orrig hardwood in one area ,, he destroyed it,,,,, we wont replace this floor until there is no more dog,,,, the other are we put in laminate tile,,, and totally impossible for a dog to destroy it
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4153 posts
509 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Never never never hardwood with a dog. Scratches, white spots from slobber, etc......

Did it in our first house and sold her, we'll get hardwood again one day when no dogs around, till then, carpet!
[OP]
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I will look for condos with carpets then.
Any other tips.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1798 posts
278 upvotes
You can always put carpeted runners and rugs in the high-traffic areas.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
636 upvotes
Muskoka
Again, carpets + animals = gross.