• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2015 3:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
bluehawk91 wrote: Before the meat Industry, man showed respect for the animals. Now, we show little to no respect for the animal that are slaughtered.
I blame people for that. It's too easy to just go to the supermarket to grab the premium cuts without knowing where it came from.
It's amazing what's wasted on an animal nowadays since everyone wants white meat chicken and tenderloins. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy to use every single part of an animal.
Something lost it's life. The least I can do is utilize it the most I can out of it.
I absolutely love how we tend to justify animal cruelty. We say my pet is like my family member, but we're okay when the other animals are slaughtered for meat, fur, or the skin.
I don't see how slaughtering is animal cruelty assuming it's done humanely.
Any time I'm killing an animal I make it a point to ensure the quickest painless death I can administer.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
I don't think there's that much waste in the meat industry. Where do you think the meat from hot dogs etc come from? From the non-premium parts of the animal.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1377 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal
I think people have more feelings for aka Domesticated pets, cats, dogs for the most part. I feel bad for animals that aren't cared for like dogs/cats that are stuck outside because of ignorant owners. I have zero illusions where my meat comes from at least the meat i chose to eat.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I blame people for that. It's too easy to just go to the supermarket to grab the premium cuts without knowing where it came from.
It's amazing what's wasted on an animal nowadays since everyone wants white meat chicken and tenderloins. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy to use every single part of an animal.
Something lost it's life. The least I can do is utilize it the most I can out of it.

I don't see how slaughtering is animal cruelty assuming it's done humanely.
Any time I'm killing an animal I make it a point to ensure the quickest painless death I can administer.
I never got this. Those are my least favourite parts.
toeknee89 wrote: I don't think there's that much waste in the meat industry. Where do you think the meat from hot dogs etc come from? From the non-premium parts of the animal.
+1
Everything gets used. There's no way a meat plant will throw away parts when they can make money off of it somehow.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
mjl_toronto wrote: I never got this. Those are my least favourite parts.

+1
Everything gets used. There's no way a meat plant will throw away parts when they can make money off of it somehow.
and this is where mad cow disease started no? where the brain was fed back to the cows?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
mjl_toronto wrote: I never got this. Those are my least favourite parts.
Mine too. I do use chicken breasts sometimes, but if you hand me tenderloin I'd be like "I have no idea what to do with this. Wellington maybe?"
+1
I'm not saying things get thrown out, but most of the off cuts get processed into either pet food or low grade hot dogs.
People don't appreciate most of the animal any more so there's no demand for "strange" things.
Try sticking something like Oxtail in a community without Asians and see how well they sell.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
death_hawk wrote: but if you hand me tenderloin I'd be like "I have no idea what to do with this. Wellington maybe?"
If beef,
Whole roasted.
Sliced into steaks.
Cubes for kebabs.
Thin slices (or leftover odd bits) for stir fry.
Numerous casserole type dishes, stews.

Pork TL is great value too.
I've done all the above, except steaks with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
arisk wrote: If beef,
Whole roasted.
Sliced into steaks.
Cubes for kebabs.
Thin slices (or leftover odd bits) for stir fry.
Numerous casserole type dishes, stews.

Pork TL is great value too.
I've done all the above, except steaks with it.
The problem with tenderloin is that it's far too lean and far too tender to be of much use.
Roasting isn't bad, but you have to bring your own flavors. Hence my idea with a wellington. Has no flavor so lets drown it in flavor.
Steaks are equally dumb because you have to wrap it in bacon to be any good. Or smother it in a sauce to add flavor.
Kebabs aren't bad, but kind of a waste. Again too tender. I still have teeth and like a little bite.
Stir fry is an (expensive) acceptable alternative. But I still find it too tender for this application.
Stew is the LAST thing I would use a tenderloin for. These call for tough cuts with tons of flavor. Tenderloin is the exact opposite.

I'm a purist for beef. I like tasting beef. Not a bunch of other flavors carried by a vehicle.

Mostly the same idea with pork except now you have size working against you. A pork tenderloin is so small that it overcooks easily.
Plus pork is pretty tender already so even the tougher cuts can be used for kebabs and stuff.
Stir fry would kind of work but stews again are out.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4770 posts
210 upvotes
Guelph
toeknee89 wrote: Other than your grammar that needs cleaning up who are you to tell other people what they can and cannot eat because of what you perceive as "normal"? Even on this side of the world there are people who won't touch pork because it's "disgusting" and those that perceive cows as spiritual animals.
its not like my opinion will change anyones mind so who cares if i think its disgusting.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: The problem with tenderloin is that it's far too lean and far too tender to be of much use.
Roasting isn't bad, but you have to bring your own flavors. Hence my idea with a wellington. Has no flavor so lets drown it in flavor.
Steaks are equally dumb because you have to wrap it in bacon to be any good. Or smother it in a sauce to add flavor.
Kebabs aren't bad, but kind of a waste. Again too tender. I still have teeth and like a little bite.
Stir fry is an (expensive) acceptable alternative. But I still find it too tender for this application.
Stew is the LAST thing I would use a tenderloin for. These call for tough cuts with tons of flavor. Tenderloin is the exact opposite.

I'm a purist for beef. I like tasting beef. Not a bunch of other flavors carried by a vehicle.

Mostly the same idea with pork except now you have size working against you. A pork tenderloin is so small that it overcooks easily.
Plus pork is pretty tender already so even the tougher cuts can be used for kebabs and stuff.
+1 to all of this.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
death_hawk wrote: The problem with tenderloin is that it's far too lean and far too tender to be of much use.

I wasn't suggesting stews as a primary use.
If you make a Wellington, cut a few filets, then you have odd pieces left.
I'd rather put them in a stew than the garbage.
If you are starting with the goal of a stew, there are better choices.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
arisk wrote: I wasn't suggesting stews as a primary use.
If you make a Wellington, cut a few filets, then you have odd pieces left.
I'd rather put them in a stew than the garbage.
If you are starting with the goal of a stew, there are better choices.
I think if I got handed a free tenderloin I'd probably make a wellington out of it then use the trim for a stir fry.
It's a fast high heat cooking method that should at least give it a chance.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow that's shocking. I only eat beef, chicken and pork that are born with styroform trays, plastic wrap and food label already attached. This way none of them have to suffer those horrible things that you listed.

Are you saying that they really roasted the meat over a fire? That's unbelievable!!! The roasted chicken in Canada were born roasted so we don't need them to suffer the same fate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
bluehawk91 wrote: Before the meat Industry, man showed respect for the animals. Now, we show little to no respect for the animal that are slaughtered.

I absolutely love how we tend to justify animal cruelty. We say my pet is like my family member, but we're okay when the other animals are slaughtered for meat, fur, or the skin.
I disagree. There's this massive fallacy about the gentle savage. All scientific evidence points to people being more cruel in all respects before modern times. There is no such thing as men co-existing with nature and there never has been. People just like to romanticize about the past. The difference is that now we have better technologies to grow and kill animals with, and also social media and the internet to increase awareness. People back then were just as likely if not more likely to inflict cruelty to animals. If you gave people the same technologies back then, they would have done the same. People need to eat and raise income to live.

If men doesn't do the killing, nature will. It's a fallacy that nature remains "in-balance". Nature is about survival of the fittest. If you leave animals in the wild, they will simply be eaten by other predators, who arguably, have less consciousness than humans.

Arguing for animal rights is a modern affair, made possible because food isn't a concern in the developed world. In poor countries, people need to do whatever it takes to live. They don't have the luxury to debate philosophical issues of animal suffering when they have problem getting 2 meals a day, among other problems like health and security. Even if they do, do you think they are going to start buying pain killers or whatever else is necessary to fit your definition of a justifiable kill?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
My delicate western sensibilities are offended!

Wait, no they aren't. I grew up on a farm and we killed our own animals to eat. This is no different. Substitute a fish for any of those animals and I can probably find the same thing happening in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
so is anyone actually going to go there and show them how it's done or it's just the news of today and we're moving onto something else tomorrow?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Why is it OK to eat some animals but not others?

I'd say, if you were starving and near death, in the bush, you would eat anything that moves.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)