• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2017 1:57 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
10 posts
ontario

Dogs tooth extraction - Toronto

Hello All,

My friend recently adopted a short legged dash hound from a dog shelter but she has really bad teeth she will probably need tooth cleanings and likely multiple tooth extraction.

The quote they got was 1500 per tooth plus other expenses. This is quite expensive and they wont be able to keep her if she needs this much care.

Can anyone recommend a quality lower cost veterenarian within the GTA? Im considering helping with expenses, she's a really cute dog but unfortunately was not treated well by her previous owners.

I'd like to help out of I can but it will have to start with a quality alternative to the quote they got. This is time sensitive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
5 replies
Apr 25, 2011
700 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
1,500 per tooth?!

Phone vets in the area and ask for a dental quote. They may only be able to give a quote before extractions. How many teeth do they suspect need to be removed?

Some people go to the the States, even with the conversion it could be less expensive. Country vets are less expensive than city vets and that may make it worth a drive elsewhere. If the owners are lower income then search for organizations that may help with the cost. Contact the shelter they got the dog from and see if they can help.
[OP]
Apr 7, 2007
10 posts
ontario
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know the number of extractions required. When she was yawning I could briefly see that she had a black tooth. I also noticed that her breath was foul.

I suggested my friend get another quote because the one he got seems very high. At this point I'm looking for a specific clinic I can take her to that's known for good prices and quality care. I don't have that much time to run around.

More on this dog...
Apparently she came from South Korea and is about 5 to 10 years old ( I know very little about dogs). She's a black Weiner dog. An organization in Canada goes to South Korea to rescue dogs brings them back and puts them up for adoption. My friend didnt pay a great deal for her I think he said only 200.

He is considering one of two options, getting the surgery for a better rate or returning the dog to the shelter. He can't afford the expense at the moment. I'd be willing to help out but 1500 is a lot for me too. I suspect that if she goes back to the shelter they will eventually put her down.

If we can get a reasonable place I'd help him out with the cost to proceed with the surgery.

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1138 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
First find out if it is 1 tooth or all of them. We were quoted $1500 to remove all the teeth of our small dog. After it was over we were billed $2600 and told it was more work than expected. Call the shelter where it was obtained from and see if they have any recommendations. Call different vets to get their range. As mentioned a vet outside of a large city might be cheaper. Perhaps the local Humane Society might be able to offer some suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Town and Country Vet in Ogdensburg, Potsdam or Massena NY. When my 45lb dog had teeth cleaning it was $180USD. Extractions were $25 per tooth (she didn't need it).
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
I can recommend a vet if you PM me.
But I just looked online and its got some terrible google reviews. I've had nothing but fair and decent experiences personally over 10 visits or so over the years.
I guess as with all vets its use at your own risk.