Tags:
None
[OP]
May 24, 2009
396 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Doing my g2 road test next week...

I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right forum but i'm doing my road test (again) next week. (My license expired while I was still a g2 so I had to go back to g1)
I was wondering if I could drive comfortably and not get so technical. (obviously still emphasizing checking my blind spots)

For example when I back up I like the to put my right hand behind the passengers seat, could I do that?
And when I park I pretty much go on the next lane and reverse back... not the go up 3 parking space then turn your wheel.

If anyone could answer that would be great
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5758 posts
3703 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Drive like a square and do everything by the book. And remember to make your head movements painfully obvious.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1315 posts
108 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:13 pm
Drive like a square and do everything by the book. And remember to make your head movements painfully obvious.
Also wear a baseball cap it makes the head movements way more noticeable.

(My dad used to be a drivers instructor and he gave me this tip)
Apr 24, 2011
302 posts
77 upvotes
Scarborough
When I did my driving test, as soon as my tester came into the vehicle, I asked him whether it would be acceptable for me to reverse the same way you do (i.e. hand on passenger seat, turning fully around). He indicated that I could do whatever I wanted to do, as long as I was able to show that I do it in a safe, competent manner. I didn't bother with pushing my luck and asking about going @ a 45 degree angle into the other lane to reverse back. I figured it's not worth the chance of failing due to preference for just one thing. Also, I used a big ol' American car for my test, meaning it wasn't as easy to just move up 3 spaces, turn steering wheel and Corolla fits snugly into the spot. Good luck!
[OP]
May 24, 2009
396 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
ok i guess drive like square it is. Thanks guys!
Jul 22, 2012
717 posts
177 upvotes
When asked to turn left, turn right instead, when asked for an explanation. say, Oh you mean my left
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
epik89 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:15 pm
In my test, I just vocalize all my actions so there would be no confusion as to "what instructor thought he saw".

Things I vocalized/said:
- every 3 seconds, "rear-view mirror check" (you have to check rear-view every 3-5 seconds so you know what is behind you)
- when changing lanes, "mirror check, blind-spot check"
- when slowing down to stop at intersection, "rear-view check" (you're not supposed to stop if it's clear someone will ram into you from behind, so you're supposed to check that it's safe to do so)
- when coming up to an intersection, "left-right-left check"
- when driving through/by an intersection, "left-right-left check"
- when driving after an intersection, "left-right-left check"

Note: "an intersection" in terms of the "left-right-left" check could be ANY of street-light, stop/yield sign, or just a side-road intersecting YOUR MAIN ROAD. The rule is that any road you pass, you do a quick head-check to make sure nothing is going to come out and hit you (this is for the G2 -> G test, but it's good to do on G1 -> G2 test anyway to show them you know how to drive)

Note: "an intersection" check applies even when you're just DRIVING STRAIGHT through the intersection, NOT only when you're turning left/right at the intersection.

Things not to forget:
- during "emergency stop", put on your HANDBREAK and 4-WAY ALERT SIGNAL! Forget either one? Failed the emergency stop (plus the obvious, if on a slope, turn tires the right way to grab the curb in case the breaks fail and vehicle rolls back into traffic);
- when at a STOP SIGN, come to a COMPLETE STOP and count a full 1-Mississippi Second. DO NOT ROLL THROUGH; While at the stop sign, check left-right-left before, while driving through, and after the intersection;
- if there are TWO LANES, always stay in the RIGHT-MOST LANE. The left lane is ONLY for passing and turning left. When turning LEFT onto a TWO-LANE road, turn into the left-most lane FIRST, then immediately turn on signal and get into the RIGHT-LANE. If you stay in the left-lane, they will take a point for incorrect left-turn.

Results: did all this on my G2->G test a year ago and passed with 3 out of allowed 30 infractions (which is because I was doing test in the winter, and the rental vehicle slid when going into right-turn at 20km/h).
Jan 22, 2013
22 posts
4 upvotes
So what is the proper way to change lanes on a G test?

Is it mirrors -> signal -> mirrors + blindspot -> switch lanes.

I ask this because on MTO site they say they want you to also check the blindspot before you signal but then I saw someone post that the examiner yelled at them saying they now want you to signal before you check anything. I guess this could vary by examiner because why the hell would an extra blindspot check be a bad thing? Just curious what the majority does on their test without issues?
Oct 5, 2008
127 posts
6 upvotes
Coolshizzle wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:56 pm
I was wondering if I could drive comfortably and not get so technical.
While the technical is important, being comfortable goes a long way. Comfort comes with practice, so try to find an opportunity to keep practicing.
CarCheckCanada | Free resources on buying used cars. View RFD Forum Post
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4288 upvotes
epik89 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:15 pm

(My dad used to be a drivers instructor and he gave me this tip)
Bad advice.

Wearing a baseball cap sends the wrong message to the examiner that you're not serious about your safety or maximizing your visibility.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1187 posts
198 upvotes
Ontario
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:05 pm
Bad advice.

Wearing a baseball cap sends the wrong message to the examiner that you're not serious about your safety or maximizing your visibility.
Actually, I'm gonna now say that a driving instructor friend of mine recommended this to me as well. So you've now got reports of two drivers instructors recommending this. Makes it easier for them to tell if you're doing checks.

And if your ballcap is affecting your visibility, you're wearing your ballcap wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5758 posts
3703 upvotes
Richmond Hill
saint2e wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 3:09 pm
Actually, I'm gonna now say that a driving instructor friend of mine recommended this to me as well. So you've now got reports of two drivers instructors recommending this. Makes it easier for them to tell if you're doing checks.

And if your ballcap is affecting your visibility, you're wearing your ballcap wrong.
[IMG]http://www.starmap.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Smith.jpg[/IMG]

Like this.