Home & Garden

Doing a re-roof and client has cold air return ducts in attic

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2019 6:59 pm
[OP]
Member
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
138 upvotes
Comox Valley

Doing a re-roof and client has cold air return ducts in attic

Doing a re-roofing job on the West Coast. My customer has problems with lack of ventilation on roof, causing moisture issue. We will address some of this by adding soffit and roof vents.

My concern is they have flex pipe as a cold air return ducts inside the attic, which has holes in it, which exhaust air, when used. This is part of the issue with the moisture. House is at least 40 years old, and those flex pipes were added when an addition was built on.

I am looking for an online source for return ducts in the attic, where this problem has been noted before.
Does anyone know of a good resource for this?
Images
  • 527A068E-4196-43CF-BF6C-AAAB6B957E11.jpeg
  • 0A55E92D-FAD1-440D-A238-BE30BC91AE35.jpeg
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
5407 posts
5484 upvotes
Toronto
Talk about useless insulation. Geezo.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4560 posts
1428 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Jerico wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 3:05 pm
It’s very common in the southern US. Those flexible pipes are junk. I would think all pipes in Canada this way should be insulated heavily.
Yup, can confirm that. They also usually have 2 ac and 2 furnaces [2 condensers outside and 1 furnace in crawl space and 1 furnace in attic].

But the flexible pipes are much better insulated [see pic; can confirm very cold ac on second floor... brrr} then the ones Op posted... also seems they are just extending some rigid ductwork
Images
  • attic flex duct.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1890 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
The bigger question is why is a roofer trying to solve an HVAC problem? Point the issue out to the owner, give them the photos, and suggest they need to sort it out.

One would assume they have access to the attic, given the ducts would have been put in place after the roof when it was built.

If you think you're going to learn HVAC and make a few extra bucks fixing this problem for your customer, don't do it. You're not doing them any favors.

They need to have someone who knows what they're doing go in there and put the right kind of duct work in, properly taped, sealed and insulated if it needs to be routed through the attic space. And they don't need the roof open to do this.
[OP]
Member
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
138 upvotes
Comox Valley
torontotim wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 2:14 pm
The bigger question is why is a roofer trying to solve an HVAC problem? Point the issue out to the owner, give them the photos, and suggest they need to sort it out.
I will tell you why I bring this up. With 30 year experience as a Roofing Contractor I am not looking to make any extra money in doing HVAC. I bring it up, as this roof deck has a moisture issue, as in to much.
I as a professional contractor do not want any issues, with any job I do.

So in doing the job, I will try to find the cause of why their is to much moisture in the attic, and then tell the homeowners what the problem is, and advise them to fix it.

Second point in this is if their are any moisture issues in the future, who are the first people they are going to call? The roofing company that did the roof. I have seen it more times than I can count.

It is unfortunate that you felt that I was trying to pull a fast one (is that a Toronto thing) but it is Monday, let’s just leave it at that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28862 posts
14661 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 4:33 pm
I will tell you why I bring this up. With 30 year experience as a Roofing Contractor I am not looking to make any extra money in doing HVAC. I bring it up, as this roof deck has a moisture issue, as in to much.
I as a professional contractor do not want any issues, with any job I do.

So in doing the job, I will try to find the cause of why their is to much moisture in the attic, and then tell the homeowners what the problem is, and advise them to fix it.

Second point in this is if their are any moisture issues in the future, who are the first people they are going to call? The roofing company that did the roof. I have seen it more times than I can count.

It is unfortunate that you felt that I was trying to pull a fast one (is that a Toronto thing) but it is Monday, let’s just leave it at that.
I commend you for your professionalism!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1890 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
My point is simple - if you know what recommendations to make, then make them. The fact you're posting up on RFD asking questions about where to learn about HVAC indicates you don't know what to recommend, and should therefore not make any recommendations.

Tell the homeowner they appear to have a problem with their HVAC, show it to them, express your concern that it is leaking moist warm air into the attic and move on. You can't recommend fixes to this because you don't know what should be fixed.

If you knew, you wouldn't be posting questions on a deal forum.
[OP]
Member
Oct 22, 2016
224 posts
138 upvotes
Comox Valley
torontotim wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 4:56 pm
My point is simple - if you know what recommendations to make, then make them. The fact you're posting up on RFD asking questions about where to learn about HVAC indicates you don't know what to recommend, and should therefore not make any recommendations.

Tell the homeowner they appear to have a problem with their HVAC, show it to them, express your concern that it is leaking moist warm air into the attic and move on. You can't recommend fixes to this because you don't know what should be fixed.

If you knew, you wouldn't be posting questions on a deal forum.
With all due respect, I disagree with you.

The homeowner in this is a layperson, they do not understand that they have a problem.

I ask for this resource to point out the problem, so I can pass it on to them (as a link or PDF). So they can understand why they have a problem, and understand they have to fix it. This is what it takes for some homeowners to clue in to an issue.

In this forum it is an discussion forum. If I wanted a deal I would have posted in “hot deals”. We are all here to help each other, as I have in Roofing questions that come up.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4560 posts
1428 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
User452441 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 5:22 pm
With all due respect, I disagree with you.

The homeowner in this is a layperson, they do not understand that they have a problem.

I ask for this resource to point out the problem, so I can pass it on to them (as a link or PDF). So they can understand why they have a problem, and understand they have to fix it. This is what it takes for some homeowners to clue in to an issue.

Kudos to you for being proactive as will definitely be an issue again.
In this forum it is an discussion forum. If I wanted a deal I would have posted in “hot deals”. We are all here to help each other, as I have in Roofing questions that come up.
Like I said prior those returns are not insulated properly. Ideally should not be there... probably due to layout for addition.

Perhaps reach out to a HVAC person/company from southern USA... most have websites.

Top