220 upvotes

[Dollarama] Dollar store version of Magnetic Mesh screen door $4

Deal Link:
Price:
$4
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
This caught my eye. Would not call it "hot" deal but may be of interest to some. Apologies if this has been posted before, I did perform a search and found nothing.

Magnetic Mesh Screen door: https://imgur.com/a/U3exP88

If you are interested in these type of things Dollarama has them for $4.

Found the same item on Amazon that sells for $19
https://www.amazon.ca/Magnetic-Hands-Sc ... ay&sr=8-25

and CanadianTire sells the 'as seen on tv' version for $25.

Take note of the reviews on amazon, overall not all bad, but not great either.
17 replies
Apr 3, 2018
139 posts
91 upvotes
I think Dollarama has been selling this for at least 5 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2984 posts
1418 upvotes
Toronto
theposter wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 4:45 pm
I think Dollarama has been selling this for at least 5 years.
at least 10. I got a couple when I first moved into my home in 2009. Im sure it was $2-$3 for ot back then.
Aug 24, 2011
516 posts
169 upvotes
i have used this before and i can say without a doubt that its garbage, the problem that i encountered with it is that it looks nice and all when you initially installed it but after a couple of hours later it will fall apart. The double sided tape that is located around the outside border of the net does not stick well enough to be hold up the entire screen. Even if you tried using duct tape all around it to hold it in place it would still fall off. If you really want a screen door then just go the regular route and buy one that has a frame to hold everything in place. but then again you would be spending hundreds for it though and not $4. You really get what you paid for on this product.
Jun 22, 2009
722 posts
169 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks OP. My second "as seen on TV" mesh is on the last leg... Will definitely check local Dollarama.

And about quality... Well, it's $4. But I love the idea not having frame around. I use this mesh on my patio door that they call "garden style" (?) - two doors on hinges that swing outside.

To get this screen working I stapled pieces of velcro tape to the outside frame (it's wooden) and another side of velcro - on edge of the mesh. Works great and is removable.

I also stapled top of the net (both parts) to the small piece of wood and wrapped couple times around - this way two parts are perfectly aligned. And then used 3 screws to attach it to the top frame of the door.

Works for us :)
azaelus wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 5:11 pm
i have used this before and i can say without a doubt that its garbage, the problem that i encountered with it is that it looks nice and all when you initially installed it but after a couple of hours later it will fall apart. The double sided tape that is located around the outside border of the net does not stick well enough to be hold up the entire screen. Even if you tried using duct tape all around it to hold it in place it would still fall off. If you really want a screen door then just go the regular route and buy one that has a frame to hold everything in place. but then again you would be spending hundreds for it though and not $4. You really get what you paid for on this product.
Слава Україні!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6712 posts
2489 upvotes
Calgary
Bought one many years ago, thought it was a good idea. The thing stayed on no more than an hour, fell down multiple times, then went straight to the garbage.
May 18, 2007
512 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
I live in the city and I can keep my doors/windows open all day and rarely see a bug! Which is great, except I worry that it really isn't.

As a kid I remember my parents hanging those sticky fly traps to try to reduce the number of flying things. Don't need those any more!

In a decade or so I have a hunch that Monsanto (ala RoundUp weed killer that's used world wide) will be in the same boat as big tobacco getting grilled for knowing it was killing broad groups of insects (e.g. bees) and animals indiscriminately and hiding/covering up the info.
May 17, 2019
20 posts
49 upvotes
I've used them before and will be putting 1 up this weekend.
Thank's for the heads up!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1167 posts
456 upvotes
North York, ON
Zhopa wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 5:39 pm
Thanks OP. My second "as seen on TV" mesh is on the last leg... Will definitely check local Dollarama.

And about quality... Well, it's $4. But I love the idea not having frame around. I use this mesh on my patio door that they call "garden style" (?) - two doors on hinges that swing outside.

To get this screen working I stapled pieces of velcro tape to the outside frame (it's wooden) and another side of velcro - on edge of the mesh. Works great and is removable.

I also stapled top of the net (both parts) to the small piece of wood and wrapped couple times around - this way two parts are perfectly aligned. And then used 3 screws to attach it to the top frame of the door.

Works for us :)
Yep have used these (Original Magic Mesh) in the past and they work very well with a little bit of modifying. Installed one (Original Magic Mesh @CT for $10.00) on a friend's apt balcony door 5 yrs ago and still going strong- some sewing/ stapling/ gluing was all that was needed. Over all those yrs 1 minor rip which was sewn closed. One bottom magnet also fell off- easily re attached.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9504 posts
4305 upvotes
I purchased one of these a few years ago ago it worked for a few hours but was having issues.Ended up buying another just incase i had a bad one and this one i installed on a large shed door and it worked fine for a few weeks then troubles started happening.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Jun 5, 2006
15 posts
1 upvote
We have 4 dogs...yeah we're crazy but this dollar screen is not that bad. We can pay 20-25 bucks and have one last 2 weeks or 4 bucks and it lasts a week. Well worth the 4 bucks for not letting dogs in and out every 15 min.
Nov 16, 2013
184 posts
285 upvotes
New Brunswick
azaelus wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 5:11 pm
Used this for a few weeks to keep my cat out of my grow room (so she wouldn't jump on the top of the tent". It comes with tacks that work really well, the tape did fail but all tape will fail so I don't know why you'd consider that the thing that makes it suck.

Great value for $4, just use the tacks.
Jun 12, 2006
10 posts
Toronto
For me I just reenforced with glue gun bc the mesh and velcro were an issue. It wouldn't hold itself. I didn't even use all the stickies and worked fine. I thought the overall look was tacky. But was practical.
Mar 23, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
These things are fine if you have a small dog or an intelligent cat. Our mistake with the screen was expecting our great galumphing brute of a Lab to respect the flimsiness of the screen and not come out the other side of it with the screen and its frame ending up hanging around his neck.
Mar 24, 2016
20 posts
3 upvotes
Not sure about the dollar store one but the one from Canadian Tire comes with tacks that's you can hammer in so your not only relying on the sticky back to hold it up. Works great and ours last about 2 summers of 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats pretty going through it regularly before we have to replace it. I'm good with that, worth it.