Parenting

Dollarama - Home Pregnancy Test - IT WORKS!!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2009 6:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2583 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Wife bought a few of these to try, it was accurate, showed very faint result early on, and by expected period it was a definite positive.

Best way is to get blood test to confirm from GP.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18098 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Can buy these no name brand pregnancy tests on eBay too. I think they are less than $1 each.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12845 posts
571 upvotes
Neb wrote:
Sep 7th, 2008 4:56 pm
Wife bought a few of these to try, it was accurate, showed very faint result early on, and by expected period it was a definite positive.

Best way is to get blood test to confirm from GP.
Most GP will simply ask if you have used a department store test...they work fine. Just think, the ERs where you only have only minutes to determine pregnancy before deciding on a treatment use essentially a strip based method to confirm negative.

The only reason for the blood test is to monitor hcg levels...
Sep 16, 2009
1 posts
Windsor, ON
Usually where home pregnancy tests go wrong are when they give false negatives rather than false positives. And a lot of times the false negatives aren't always the pregnancy tests' fault (if you do it too close to when you missed your period, sometimes a woman's body hasn't had enough time for that hormone to build up in your system so that the test can pick up on it).

I buy these dollar pregnancy tests at Dollarama all the time because my cycle is irregular and my husband and I have been trying to conceive (so I never know if missing my period by a week is me having an irregular cycle or if I could possibly be pregnant). Also, my PR application is still processing, so I don't have OHIP yet...therefore, I can't afford to go to the clinic every time to get tested when I am late on my period.

My most recent experience with these tests was that about 3 days after I missed my period (assuming I had a 28 day cycle like most women), I took a test and it came out negative. I waited 2 weeks and noticed I was starting to show a lot of pregnancy symptoms, so I went back to Dollarama and purchased 2 more tests (my plan was to purchase a third at Shoppers if these 2 came out negative). The second time, though, the test came out very distinctly positive (within a minute, I could see the test line as dark as the control line). Just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I did the 2nd test I purchased as well, peeing into a different cup on a different occasion (in case the cup the first time somehow got contaminated, or my pee had something funny in it), and I had an identical result (2 lines showing up very distinctly within a minute of using the test).

I'd say that those dramatic results would definitely be a positive for us :) . Now that I've gotten those results, it's worth it to me to go shell out money at the clinic to get the official test/bloodwork done.

I think what happened is that it wasn't the first test that came up negative that was faulty...I think I ovulated late and took the first test before the necessary chemicals showed up in my pee. But then two weeks later, there was plenty of that hormone there for the test to detect.

So my advice is, if you're going to use the Dollarama test, wait until you've gone at least a week missing your period.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12845 posts
571 upvotes
While the underlying technology between all of the tests is similar, there is a big difference in quality among the brands. These tests are quite susceptible to temperature and humidity. Do you think that these stores have kept the product in proper storage conditions?

You get what you pay for...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Well for a $1 you can't go wrong and really reduces the cost in buying multiple tests if you're trying to conceive. The ones at SDM are like $11/test!!!! So if you're trying to conceive it's quite costly!!! To make the test the most accurate as possible it's best to do it in the morning and use your first batch of urine since you've been "holding" it for the whole night! :D Now on the flip side, if I'm NOT looking to conceive you can bet I'm willing to pay the $11 that says I'm NOT pregnant! :lol: :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34339 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
YEah they do work. I asked my friend to try it.

no no ! Its not what you think...
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
× < >