Shopping Discussion

Dollarama: What are your favorite/regular buys?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2016 10:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19429 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nothing really...craft supplies sometimes. also bought their paint tray which is solid and much cheaper than buying one at hd.

I also look for name brand stuff that they carry in limited quantities such as:
Wilton Pizza Pan
Rain-X wiper blades
Unger squeegee
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Cleaning supplies. They have good micro fibres to wash cars with. Mops, chicken utensils i.e Betty Crocker, etc.
Aug 29, 2015
206 posts
51 upvotes
For Betty Crocker, better deals at Dollar Tree as it is $1.25 at Dollar Tree.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
Supercooled wrote: Cleaning supplies. They have good micro fibres to wash cars with. Mops, chicken utensils i.e Betty Crocker, etc.
chicken utensils eh?
I'll stop by on my way home :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9093 upvotes
Toronto
dino7c wrote: honestly if you are picking up their condoms you might want to spring for some lube too
And diapers
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
ammaretto007 wrote: watch batterys
paint brushes
sharpies
calenders
wrapping paper/tape
cleaning cloths/sponges
tupperware
Dollarama does not sell Tupperware, but rather very cheap imitation plastic tubs that likely you should not ever heat anything up in in the microwave.

I usually only buy party, gift and craft supplies there or something I can't seem to find somewhere else. Oh, wait, I bought some combs and a magnifier glass there once.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
eonibm wrote: Dollarama does not sell Tupperware, but rather very cheap imitation plastic tubs that likely you should not ever heat anything up in in the microwave.
I wouldn't heat genuine Tupperware (or Rubbermaid, etc.) in the microwave either. It's not that difficult to transfer the food into a glass or ceramic container and reheat (or cook) the food in that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
If it says microwavable, it is. If it does not, then do not.
Oct 5, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Pet lint rollers + Arm & Hammer cat litter deodorizer-- best prices anywhere.
The occasional greeting card + gift wrap.
Mar 15, 2010
50 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
sun flower seeds
redbull
hdmi cable
bottle of coke
fuzzy peach slices
betty crocker containers
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15216 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I get those "just add water" wipes that are compressed to the size of a candy mint. I've never had to use one, but: 1) they're cool; 2) handy to have in a bag, just in case.

Dollarama has two different versions of them. The 8-pack is Dollarama brand, but the 10-pack is a better deal, if you can find it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
playnicee1 wrote: If it says microwavable, it is. If it does not, then do not.
See below. Avoid gambling with your health as much as you can.
bylo wrote: I wouldn't heat genuine Tupperware (or Rubbermaid, etc.) in the microwave either. It's not that difficult to transfer the food into a glass or ceramic container and reheat (or cook) the food in that.
I didn't mean to imply you should heat in Tupperware either but now I realize one could interpret my comment that way. I don't heat anything in plastic ever, even when it says microwavable, only glass. I don't trust manufacturers assertions that plastic is safe to microwave food in, not to mention with Asian manufacturers they'll stamp anything on anything if they know that doing that increases sales. Even if some plastics were safe to heat food in, do you actually think every product line from every manufacturer is monitored 24x7x365 to make sure it is what the manufactuer says it is, especially the Asian ones? Hardly!

If you know anything about plastic it is that the atoms are unstable to varying degrees depending on the plastic, the temperature and the duration applied. Also, when it's so easy to just use glass why not err on the totally safe side given it's your health that is at stake? Glass is totally inert but plastic is not.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: If you know anything about plastic it is that the atoms are unstable to varying degrees depending on the plastic, the temperature and the duration applied. Also, when it's so easy to just use glass why not err on the totally safe side given it's your health that is at stake? Glass is totally inert but plastic is not.
I use the same "gladware" from ten years ago for microwaving. I'm still alive. There is nothing wrong with using plastic to microwave, as long as it says "Microwavable".
Otherwise, I'd be dead by now.
As for the dollar store plastic, no I would not trust it to last and last. I'd most likely only use it for a year or less and then throw it away.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
playnicee1 wrote: I use the same "gladware" from ten years ago for microwaving. I'm still alive. There is nothing wrong with using plastic to microwave, as long as it says "Microwavable".
Wrong!!!

First, you're a sample of one. There are also smokers who reached 100 years of age. That's hardly proof that smoking isn't harmful or, in your case, that using Gladware for a decade hasn't caused you any harm.

Second, no one claims that cooking in plastic containers is fatal. There is evidence that when you do so there is leaching of some of the constituents of the plastic material into the food that you then consume. Some of those leached substances are known to be carcinogenic (can cause cancer or can increase the likelihood that you'll get cancer.) Others are suspected to be carcinogenic, but not conclusively. Others still are unknown because they haven't yet been tested. So even if the product is labelled "microwavable" it's not an absolute guarantee that doesn't contain materials that may be toxic to you.

Third, the designation of microwavable means that the plastic won't leach an excessive amount of chemicals at normal microwave temperatures. But microwaving is notorious for creating "hot spots" where food temperatures can greatly exceed typical. We don't know how much more may be leached out of the plastic at those temperatures. It could be substantial, and it could be toxic.

Fourth, especially with 10-year old containers, is that the interior of these containers can get scratched, exposing plastic material that hasn't been tested for toxicity or leaching properties.

It doesn't take long to transfer food to a glass container for cooking in a microwave. While doing so may or may not affect your health or longevity why take a chance on using plastic?
Otherwise, I'd be dead by now.
Brain-dead perhaps ;) But that one is rather difficult to self-diagnose ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
condoms are try before you buy at dollarama right?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
bylo wrote: Wrong!!!

First, you're a sample of one. There are also smokers who reached 100 years of age. That's hardly proof that smoking isn't harmful or, in your case, that using Gladware for a decade hasn't caused you any harm.

Second, no one claims that cooking in plastic containers is fatal. There is evidence that when you do so there is leaching of some of the constituents of the plastic material into the food that you then consume. Some of those leached substances are known to be carcinogenic (can cause cancer or can increase the likelihood that you'll get cancer.) Others are suspected to be carcinogenic, but not conclusively. Others still are unknown because they haven't yet been tested. So even if the product is labelled "microwavable" it's not an absolute guarantee that doesn't contain materials that may be toxic to you.

Third, the designation of microwavable means that the plastic won't leach an excessive amount of chemicals at normal microwave temperatures. But microwaving is notorious for creating "hot spots" where food temperatures can greatly exceed typical. We don't know how much more may be leached out of the plastic at those temperatures. It could be substantial, and it could be toxic.

Fourth, especially with 10-year old containers, is that the interior of these containers can get scratched, exposing plastic material that hasn't been tested for toxicity or leaching properties.

It doesn't take long to transfer food to a glass container for cooking in a microwave. While doing so may or may not affect your health or longevity why take a chance on using plastic?

Brain-dead perhaps ;) But that one is rather difficult to self-diagnose ;)
Ouch.
Oct 8, 2015
10 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Birthday cards
Banana marshmallow candy
Strawberry marshmallow candy
Cleaning supplies
Liquid hand soap

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)