Automotive

Dome Z7 1080p Dashcam Review (NOW $37.99USD)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 6:38 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2981 posts
401 upvotes
josb0513 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 10:58 am
So I contacted ********. They asked if I wanted to take the cam to a local electrical shop and get it fixed and share the cost. No thanks to that. Otherwise, exchange or refund. However reading from other people who have dealt with ********, Return shipping reimbursement is unavailable. Now that sucks. I received a faulty item and now I got to pay for the shipping to get my money back. Maybe it's normal but I'm not used to this sort of return policy.
Did you read their return policy prior to ordering? A lot of eBay sellers have the same policy.
Positive Investing!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1128 posts
23 upvotes
Does anyone have any issues with missing footage? When observing the z7 in use, I notice the blinking recording indicator occasional stops then resumes. Seems to be unreliable if there are a few minutes in between recording sessions. I have a Lexar 32GB class 10 sd card. Worked flawlessly on the first drive. Days later these problems. Thanks in advance!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2833 posts
854 upvotes
baouong wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 8:47 pm
Does anyone have any issues with missing footage? When observing the z7 in use, I notice the blinking recording indicator occasional stops then resumes. Seems to be unreliable if there are a few minutes in between recording sessions. I have a Lexar 32GB class 10 sd card. Worked flawlessly on the first drive. Days later these problems. Thanks in advance!
Are you missing any footage? I never pay attention to the lights but I've never experienced gaps between the recording.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1128 posts
23 upvotes
yes. For example I will start my car and it will turn on and begin recording. At random frequencies the recording will halt for about 10 seconds then resume. I've even noticed some gaps of up to 3 minutes!
Jan 27, 2008
396 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
do you have motion sensor on? That must be it. It records when there is a movement.
Jan 27, 2008
396 posts
125 upvotes
GTA
blackdragon12 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 9:41 am
Did you read their return policy prior to ordering? A lot of eBay sellers have the same policy.
Stupid of me not to read it in advance.. Although my unit is faulty, I decided to just keep on using it. I assume return shipping cost to china may not be worth my trouble.

Has anyone figured out how to get Z7 focus better? I can't even read out front car's license plate. Day & Night.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8100 posts
1062 upvotes
intelmic wrote:
Nov 14th, 2014 6:55 pm
Ok, here's another video at 1080p.
It's filmed inside, so windshield is not an issue.

You can see at one point my hand close to the lens and my fingers are very crisp and sharp at that moment.

That was the weirdest hand puppet show that I have ever seen.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1024 posts
371 upvotes
GTA, ON
VIIVIIIXIII wrote:
Nov 25th, 2014 9:02 pm
It's under lamp settings
Thanks. I checked under lamp settings, but I think there's only an ON/OFF option under lamp settings (like your youtube video). I just can't seem to find the IR lights settings.

I have it on night mode and just can't seem to catch the plates of cars stopped in front of me. The footage is blurred-especially in the night. I guess I need to figure out where the IR settings are...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2833 posts
854 upvotes
wolfpack27616 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 5:20 pm
Thanks. I checked under lamp settings, but I think there's only an ON/OFF option under lamp settings (like your youtube video). I just can't seem to find the IR lights settings.

I have it on night mode and just can't seem to catch the plates of cars stopped in front of me. The footage is blurred-especially in the night. I guess I need to figure out where the IR settings are...
AFAIK. Lamp settings = IR lights. So just turn them ON to have the IR lights functioning. Alternatively, I hear that the "day" mode turns the IR lights off, while the "night" mode turns them on.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1024 posts
371 upvotes
GTA, ON
VIIVIIIXIII wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 3:43 pm
AFAIK. Lamp settings = IR lights. So just turn them ON to have the IR lights functioning. Alternatively, I hear that the "day" mode turns the IR lights off, while the "night" mode turns them on.
Thanks again for the clarification. Have turned on Night mode and kept Lamp Settings on. I have cleaned the lens too. Will check the footage this weekend and update.
Jun 9, 2006
801 posts
149 upvotes
Finally took the time to play around with my Z7 camera.

How to disassemble the camera:
Take a flat screw driver and insert it in one of the 4 corners.
The plastic cover will lift.
Repeat on four corners.
Remove the cover.

It will look like this.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xTgVD9m.jpg[/IMG]

How to adjust focus:
Turn the lens clockwise.
From my experience, focus was better when I could no longer turn the lens.

It will will look like this:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/56C28vF.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2833 posts
854 upvotes
^ can you post a sample video? before and after? raw?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1232 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
had it installed, and found out the focus was really out...
had to remove it from the car..... and the microUSB wiring broke apart....

really cheap quality, now i gotta buy a new Micro USB wire. However, i did fix the focus, thanks to intelmic

Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1041 posts
181 upvotes
on my recorded video, the audio is making a beep sound every second. if I turn the volume way down or play music in the car or if the car is moving the beeping is somewhat drowned out. so, nobody else who has one of these dome z7 has a beeping audio sound on your recordings? or is it just my unit was shipped to me defective?