• Feb 11th, 2019 2:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2018
130 posts
26 upvotes

Domestic trains in spain

I'm plan on booking trips from sevilla to madrid and from madrid to barcelona. The office Renfe website has alot of quirks which makes it difficult for me to use. Which 3rd parties have you use in the past and would recommend to use book train tickets? I have Renfe, Loco and Trainline. How about ACP Rail?
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33535 posts
7538 upvotes
Ottawa
Try seat61.com for lots of good European train travel info.
www.raileurope.ca
www.eurail.com
www.thetrainline.com

Oh and, the high speed train is awesome.....300 km/hr over the Spanish countryside :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Feb 8, 2014
838 posts
434 upvotes
YVR
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 12:46 pm
Try seat61.com for lots of good European train travel info.
www.raileurope.ca
www.eurail.com
www.thetrainline.com

Oh and, the high speed train is awesome.....300 km/hr over the Spanish countryside :)
There are high speed routes (e.g. Barcelona to Madrid) and slower trains which I experienced (e.g. Barcelona to Valencia). Unfortunately, not all routes are available on high speed trains.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33535 posts
7538 upvotes
Ottawa
prmetime wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 5:41 pm
There are high speed routes (e.g. Barcelona to Madrid) and slower trains which I experienced (e.g. Barcelona to Valencia). Unfortunately, not all routes are available on high speed trains.
Yes, I only said that the high speed was awesome. You choose what trains you want to travel on.
There is high speed between Seville and Madrid and between Madrid and Barcelona....which is the OP's routes.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1307 posts
394 upvotes
Oakville
I took the high speed train from Madrid to Barcelona this past Nov. It was very comfortable and spacious, much better than flying and with less hassle. The only (minor) irritant is that my ears popped every time the train went under a bridge due to the air pressure change b/c the train goes so fast. We booked early enough that we got 1st class seating for economy pricing.

Booked our tickets from Loco2 (site is in English, as recommended by seat61.com - he has an excellent writeup on Spanish train travel). Be sure to take advantage of the free pre- & post- train transit before your trip too (if your trip qualifies).

If booking on Loco2 keep in mind that you must print your ticket (no e-ticket).
Nov 23, 2015
696 posts
387 upvotes
Winnipeg
The step up in price to go 1st class is pretty minor, definitely not like flying where business and first class can be several times the price of an economy ticket. Definitely worth considering.