Off Topic

Don`t Let the Smoke Get in Your Eyes....

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 3:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1043 posts
288 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Don`t Let the Smoke Get in Your Eyes....

The air quality in this part of BC is so bad it`s off the charts; On a scale that usually runs from 0 to 10, with 10 being the worst, we hit 18 today.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 1.4232156/

This all goes back to July 7 when the interior of the province literally exploded in dozens of wild fires, many of them still out of control.
Rainfall has been almost nonexistent since May.
June saw 0.34ml of precipitation.
July saw 0.34 ml also.
For those that prefer it in inches, that`s 1/64 of an inch each month.

How dry is it? Of course my lawn is brown, but now so are the weeds.

But it`s the air that`s so bad.
The smoke we are getting right now is from a fire about 100 km west, the Elephant Hill fire. Estimated at 80,000 ha, or about 200,000 acres.

Along with the 200 or 300 homes destroyed by all these fires, there`s been over 40,000 people evacuated. Livestock losses are unknown but are probably in the thousands.
A number of towns evacuated and numerous highway closures. That means local businesses are taking a huge hit.

And no end in sight.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11112 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It was hell a couple of yrs ago when it smelled like smoke and I had to keep the windows closed. It is bearable right now, and the window is open.

Saw ppl still doing their running. I am going to wait until air quality improves.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2123 posts
1094 upvotes
@poleman

Hey I feel for you, and everyone else in BC

2017 is turning out to be a crazy summer for some parts of Canada.

As much as you are facing extreme drought, we are at the other end of the spectrum in Eastern Ontario.

It feels like we are living in the place Summer forgot. We've been getting crazy amounts of rain and very little sunshine.
It has pretty much been raining non stop since May 1st.

In a normal Summer we get 11 Days a month with some amount of precipitation, adding up to ~85 mm

This summer has been unbelievable.

Ottawa (my closest city) got 176.8 mm over 21 days in May
Only 10 days that month without rain, the longest run was 5 days.

June saw 130.0 mm over 23 days
Only 7 days that month without rain, the longest run was 5 days

July saw 249.8 mm over 18 days
Only 13 days that month without rain, the longest run 5 days

So these 3 months alone, and we are at 556.6 mm of rain, when in an average full year we'd see 869.5 mm... And we still have the rest of August to get thru, and the Fall months of September, October & November... All 3 typically being quite wet as it is

Listen I'm more than willing to send y'all some rain if someone could arrange to send us some sunshine in return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1043 posts
288 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I thought yesterday was bad at 18, on a scale of 0 to 10. Today it hit 49.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4234720

The only consolation is that the smoke keeps the temperature down, but I'll take the high 30s over this.

I would give just about anything to be able to hop on a plane a fly somewhere that has clean air. Hell, I would even consider Toronto!Winking Face
May 13, 2014
397 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
poleman wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 9:40 pm
I thought yesterday was bad at 18, on a scale of 0 to 10. Today it hit 49.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4234720

The only consolation is that the smoke keeps the temperature down, but I'll take the high 30s over this.

I would give just about anything to be able to hop on a plane a fly somewhere that has clean air. Hell, I would even consider Toronto!Winking Face
That's like, Beijing in the winter bad. I hope you have a good supply of N95 masks and an air purifier at home...

I take it there's no way you can get your boss to let you reschedule your summer vacation plans?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1763 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
Someone ELI5 how a bunch of wildfires started all around the same time
This message have been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5351 posts
1518 upvotes
Kootenays
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:06 am
Weeks/months of drought and a lightning storm. It was/is also above the 30/30 cross, above 30c and below 30% R.H. when fire behaviour becomes extreme.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1043 posts
288 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Raident wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 2:00 am
That's like, Beijing in the winter bad. I hope you have a good supply of N95 masks and an air purifier at home...

I take it there's no way you can get your boss to let you reschedule your summer vacation plans?
Our heat pump does a good job of filtering the air. Cars don't do a very good job. Motorcycle is sitting in the garage.
Otherwise we are house bound.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1043 posts
288 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:06 am
A lightening storm went through on July 7 and started a number of them.

The big one, the Elephant Hill fire, originally called the Ashcroft Reserve fire, is believed to be person caused. They suspect arson.
It has now passed 110,000 ha. That's over 272,000 acres. It's south eastern edge is about 45 km west of Kamloops. The fire appears to be moving which ever way the wind moves.

Our part of the world, Kamloops, had 1/64 inch of rain in June, and the same in July. That's a bit dry.

What really irritates me are the armchair firefighters.
One particular backburn that they did got away on them when the winds shifted. Of course this brought all the experts and the criticisms were flying.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5711 posts
278 upvotes
BC
I've had all I can take. Was out for a few minutes and my eyes are burning and watering... I've had a headache for days on end, its never seems to go away.

We too are staying indoors, crappy long weekend, went to check out the new brewery and then basically home for the rest of the weekend, lol. Its dark and eerie outside, you cant see any mountains, you dont hear any birds chirping. I dont even like letting my cat out in this, you open the door and not only do you see the smoke, it smells like theres a fire right in front of you.

No sun is getting through the thick cloud of smoke so at least we have not felt the high 30 temps that are going on. Hard to believe its been going on for a month now, day in, day out. Here are a couple of pictures I've taken, the red sun and moon and one day when the smoke lifted to a dense cloud over the city.
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG
IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3911.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5351 posts
1518 upvotes
Kootenays
Keelie wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:54 pm
I've had all I can take. Was out for a few minutes and my eyes are burning and watering... I've had a headache for days on end, its never seems to go away.

We too are staying indoors, crappy long weekend, went to check out the new brewery and then basically home for the rest of the weekend, lol. Its dark and eerie outside, you cant see any mountains, you dont hear any birds chirping. I dont even like letting my cat out in this, you open the door and not only do you see the smoke, it smells like theres a fire right in front of you.

No sun is getting through the thick cloud of smoke so at least we have not felt the high 30 temps that are going on. Hard to believe its been going on for a month now, day in, day out. Here are a couple of pictures I've taken, the red sun and moon and one day when the smoke lifted to a dense cloud over the city.

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG
It would be helpful if you said what community you're in.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5711 posts
278 upvotes
BC
smacd wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:49 pm
It would be helpful if you said what community you're in.
Kamloops, right in the middle of the worst
That's my 2cents worth
May 8, 2007
734 posts
147 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I have seen people in Seattle on forums complaining about the same smoke smog, it is even hitting Victoria.

Here in Chilliwack about 80 km east of Vancouver the forest fire smog looks thick but fortunately the smoke smell is usually not strong. We can barely see the mountains that are just 3 to 5 km away. Raises humidity but there's no rain. Makes me feel tired.

Weather forecast is the smog should get blown elsewhere soon, and rain expected on weekend so maybe that will clear the air.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11112 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I only do running outside, so I decided to try lightly jogging yesterday and taking shallow breaths. There were others running at normal pace, but I just don't think it is smart to be inhaling so deeply.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.