Pets

Donate/dispose of cat hyperthyroid meds?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2016 11:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1156 posts
575 upvotes
Ottawa

Donate/dispose of cat hyperthyroid meds?

Our cat is no longer with us. She was on hyperthyroid pills before she died, and we have a several month supply. Any ideas how/where to donate, or failing that safely dispose, of the remaining pills? They were not cheap, and there are doubtless cats/owners out there who could use them. (We're in Ottawa)
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Call OHS and ask them if they need it.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2217 posts
706 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Sorry to hear about your cat. :(
"You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Beyond Meat is people! We've gotta stop them somehow!"
Apr 23, 2008
390 posts
55 upvotes
Kanata
Kijiji? Local Facebook groups?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Aerya wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 5:50 pm
Kijiji? Local Facebook groups?
It is against the law to sell or give prescription meds to someone else. Either call OHS or give it back to the vet.
Apr 23, 2008
390 posts
55 upvotes
Kanata
Sorry, I didn't know. I'd have thought that giving away the medication to someone who already has a prescription for the same medication, and if the medication hasn't been opened/tamped with, then it'd be fine.

I do support bringing it to the vet or a pharmacy for safe disposal.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I didn't know either until I tried to give away some meds after my dog died. Contacted local rescue groups and none of them would take it even though they wanted it. Ended up giving it back to my vet and asking that they give it to someone that needed help.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2986 posts
454 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Oct 16th, 2016 11:21 am
I didn't know either until I tried to give away some meds after my dog died. Contacted local rescue groups and none of them would take it even though they wanted it. Ended up giving it back to my vet and asking that they give it to someone that needed help.
Agreed. We have always returned unused meds to our prescribing vet.