Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

Don't buy any old USB-C cable or you may regret it

Google engineer fries equipment testing a bunch of USB Type-C cables listed on Amazon: http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/bens ... pe-c-test/

... and it looks like many of the ones he tested barely rate above the "won't destroy your equipment" standard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A ... cr_rdp_pdp
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
bogolisk wrote: isn't this last year news
Engadget article is 3 hours old.
Posting by Benson Leung is Feb. 1.

I presume you mean that you already knew that the quality of USB-C cables can be variable from previous stories. I'll just let Engadget and Benson know that they're wasting their time informing people, since they may not read RFD to find out that you already knew. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
[Edit] Hum... just read your link, it even referenced to the Benson Leung's original post from Nov 15' so it is far from the first reporting. RDFer has been talking about the Benson's test result since and below is one of many examples:

usb-type-c-compliant-cheap-3ft-1m-usb-t ... st24203859
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Benson lost his Pixel C about 2 days ago, he posted it on Google+ where I followed him.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
bogolisk wrote: isn't this last year news
Yea I definitely heard something similar last year
ShadowVlican
Feb 4, 2007
859 posts
886 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: Yea I definitely heard something similar last year
That was some usb-c cables harming your battery overtime, but in this news article a bad usb-c cable "killed" the guy's tablet - a bit different than a long term battery problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
Mysticode wrote: That was some usb-c cables harming your battery overtime, but in this news article a bad usb-c cable "killed" the guy's tablet - a bit different than a long term battery problem.
Not as though it's the first time that cables with connectors swapped around have killed hardware. I remember it happening with mis-wired Firewire cables in the 90s.

Still, it does reiterate that buying the cheapest Chinese crap is probably a bad idea.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
movieman wrote: Not as though it's the first time that cables with connectors swapped around have killed hardware. I remember it happening with mis-wired Firewire cables in the 90s.

Still, it does reiterate that buying the cheapest Chinese crap is probably a bad idea.
That's why you always want to buy the second cheapest.

For a Google engineer testing cables, you would think he would use a test bed with a volt meter or oscilloscope hooked up since those things are meant for this type of stuff and use fuses.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
This is probably like the early days of HDMI cables where many were garbage. Fast forward some years and even ones sold at Dollarama are totally usable.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
Just don't buy a device that uses USB-C period.

Don't buy into the hype.

You'll have to replace all of your cables and/or peripherals.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1889 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
mystery wrote: Just don't buy a device that uses USB-C period.

Don't buy into the hype.

You'll have to replace all of your cables and/or peripherals.
It's not hype, USB-C is much faster than old USB and can deliver both data and lots of power on the same cable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
It is also very user friendly, no more having to try to plug something in multiple times. MY USB-C plug works EVERYTIME, every single time and it charges my phone super fast.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
LOL, failboat

3 months old news
JamesA1 wrote: Engadget article is 3 hours old.
Posting by Benson Leung is Feb. 1.

I presume you mean that you already knew that the quality of USB-C cables can be variable from previous stories. I'll just let Engadget and Benson know that they're wasting their time informing people, since they may not read RFD to find out that you already knew. :)
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
Took a peak at Leung's amazon page, and was shocked to see so many USB Type-C cables floating around that do not comply with the Type-C 1.1 spec.
Buying solid cables just makes sense to protect the quality device you bought with your hard-earned money. That, and electrical fires are usually never fun.
Nov 7, 2013
601 posts
189 upvotes
the 604
GenerationE wrote: The Amazon reviews complete with screenshots look dire. And it seems quite expensive for a true no-name special.
yeah, that thing is due any day now too. ugh.

what's maddening is that Dell, Apple, and other manufacturers sell products that have DisplayPort and USB-C -- but don't also sell cables

one thing i noted is that Amazon.COM screwed up the reviews -- all the negative ones are for different products (a USB Type C to A Adapter, 3ft long, and black) by the same manufacturer.

that said: i did some research between me buying it (three weeks ago), and catching up on the USB-C debacle. seems the manufacturer name, "BASACC," is a trademark of eForCity, the seller. and eForCity has some glowing reviews! found some gems like this:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/eforcity- ... cal-960643

this adapter is also sold through Groupon, but sadly no reviews either.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-bas ... male-white

ditto BestBuy.com
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/basacc-supe ... 1313796536

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)