Dec 6, 2009
1 posts
Ontario

Don't Buy from auto town sales AutoTown Kia, Winnipeg

AutoTownKia
400-1717 Waverley
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A9
1 866 323-1600

PLEASE NOTE: Sorry the dealeris in Winnipeg I am on Ontario!!!

I put a $500 100% refundable deposit down over the phone to hold the car after the sales person had given me THE FINAL price tax in admin fees etc. Said it was the only way to hold the car but if I didn't want to purchase car for any reason full refund!!! Once I went to finalize the deal the price changed and not in my favour. So I walked away from the deal and have been trying to get my 100% refundable deposit back ever since (July 23, 2009). Called 15 times and spoke with the sales person who said no problem will refund and also managers but still has not been refunded. Each time I call they tell me there not sure why deposit has not been complete but will be done right away. Now seeking legal advice.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
2846 posts
225 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
Here in Ontario, without a Purchase Agreement signed by you, the dealer cannot by law keep your deposit.

You can always get an instant refund by showing up, they swiped your card, and you get a receipt showing the amount credited.

But for next time to avoid this from happening where you show up after agreeing to a number over the phone, here is a checklist:

Ask them to E-mail you the following:
1) The Vehicle Vin #, what options/equipment/colour and stock number
2) The Price total out the door/ or for financing, what payments whether before or after tax, how much down.
3) The deal number or Reference number.
4) Finally acknowledgement of your deposit taken/will be taken and the amount.

There you go, you should be covered. Also try to plan to come in when the person you dealt with is there, so that way theres no hidden surprises.
Tung(Tom)Nguyen
Mar 8, 2009
612 posts
15 upvotes
tx1980 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:25 pm
AutoTownKia
400-1717 Waverley
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A9
1 866 323-1600

I put a $500 100% refundable deposit down over the phone to hold the car after the sales person had given me THE FINAL price tax in admin fees etc. Said it was the only way to hold the car but if I didn't want to purchase car for any reason full refund!!! Once I went to finalize the deal the price changed and not in my favour. So I walked away from the deal and have been trying to get my 100% refundable deposit back ever since (July 23, 2009). Called 15 times and spoke with the sales person who said no problem will refund and also managers but still has not been refunded. Each time I call they tell me there not sure why deposit has not been complete but will be done right away. Now seeking legal advice.

Why the hell are you on the phone and not trying to do business face-to-face?

What kind of a guarantee did you get (en writ) that this $500 was refundable?
How did you make the payment?
Do you have a CC statement with the info on it?
Do you have the sales reps name?

This is what I would do.
Walk in there. Don't leave until I have a cheque in my hand.

If you do anything else, you're silly. You can look for any type of advice, legal or not. If you TRULY want your $$ back, and can't ask to their faces, sue them in small claims.

That's all folks.
Independent Contract Collection Agent

Collection Question? Querry? Myth?
Solve it here:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/coll ... ad-809943/
Mar 8, 2009
612 posts
15 upvotes
T-Man wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 6:14 pm
Here in Ontario, without a Purchase Agreement signed by you, the dealer cannot by law keep your deposit.

You can always get an instant refund by showing up, they swiped your card, and you get a receipt showing the amount credited.

But for next time to avoid this from happening where you show up after agreeing to a number over the phone, here is a checklist:

Ask them to E-mail you the following:
1) The Vehicle Vin #, what options/equipment/colour and stock number
2) The Price total out the door/ or for financing, what payments whether before or after tax, how much down.
3) The deal number or Reference number.
4) Finally acknowledgement of your deposit taken/will be taken and the amount.

There you go, you should be covered. Also try to plan to come in when the person you dealt with is there, so that way theres no hidden surprises.
He's in AB.

Solve it here:
Sep 8, 2006
69 posts
1 upvote
Uh, to the person above me.. the OP is from winnipeg.. which is not in AB.

In BC its a refundable deposit by law. One stealership tried it with my brother, and he called the BBB and one other government place, and within one day he had the manager calling him to talk about how he wanted his refund, and to beg him to remove the black spot on their dealership.
Mar 8, 2009
612 posts
15 upvotes
russfest wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 6:34 pm
Uh, to the person above me.. the OP is from winnipeg.. which is not in AB.

In BC its a refundable deposit by law. One stealership tried it with my brother, and he called the BBB and one other government place, and within one day he had the manager calling him to talk about how he wanted his refund, and to beg him to remove the black spot on their dealership.

Yeah, my bad. Meant to hit MB.

Was on the phn.....

Solve it here:
Aug 16, 2011
1 posts
1 upvote
SORRY BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS DEALERSHIP!
IE. I AM NOT ONE TO POST NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE INTERNET! BUT I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THEY TRICKED A GENUINE NICE PERSON AND TOOK FULL ADVANTAGE OF THAT AND THEY MISLEAD ME TO BELIEVE I HAD BOUGHT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE! I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE!

This was my first car I ever bought. And since this dealership was near my house I decided "OH WHY NOT." I bought a used BMW from them and the sales guy was super nice to us. Told me car has NO ACCIDENTS, from somewhere in CALIFORNIA... Or a state down south. CLEAN CAR! The car was shakey at first when we test drove so we weren't going to take it. But then the sales guy complained to their owner and the owner blamed the kid who washed the car saying oh he sprayed the engine "he's new he doesn't really know how to wash the car. Let it dry" Sure enough car was fine. So since the owner said it was okay we took it! (THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RED FLAG RIGHT THERE! I am now kicking myself!) And they were offering $1000 off for the month of march and $1000 off extended warranty, so we again TOOK IT. Then after a couple days my engine started to stall when I would start it in the morning. And I experienced a hit and run a month after purchasing and the mpi guy said "OH this car has been in an accident before cause the primer is pink" And I told him what the guy told me "no accidents!" Then my light bulbs would burn out and low tire kept coming on. Brought it to get serviced at BMW a couple times while losing my car for a week per month. This frustrated me I need to work to pay for this car! Then my check oil came on after 3 months of owning the car I called a BMW sales guy and he said that's impossible BMW oil is suppose to last 24K or 8 months. And I've only had the car for 2.75 months and put on just about 3000K. That means they NEVER SERVICED THE VEHICLE! THEY TOLD ME THEY DID! SO I WAS SUPER MAD! Thennn, it gets worse! I tried trading in this car to other dealerships cause it was giving me a headache to own, NO ONE WOULD TAKE IT! I brought it to a dealership to take it in but when the lady test drove it the search engine light came on and the car when driven in higher speeds and when breaking it would shake, like the engine was misfiring! The dealership finally did a car proof on the vehicle. (And I'm sorry I feel so dumb now cause I'm a first time buyer I have no idea how or what to look for when buying a used car) This dealership is a pretty big dealership so I TRUSTED THEM TO BE HONEST WITH ME! Anyways I found out the car has been in 3 different collisions one with a pedestrian! AND THE CAR CAME UP FRAME DAMAGE!!!! AND ITS ORIGINALLY FROM NEW YORK! I want to expose this dealership! I TRUSTED THEM TO HELP ME WALK AWAY WITH MY FIRST CAR! And I didn't spend $5000 or $10 000 or even $20 000 I FREAKEN SPENT $33000 ON A PIECE OF CRAP!!!! So I went back to them demanding my money back! The sales guy told me I could trade it in, so I was so fed up with all the problems! They were going to let me trade it in for a Lexus is250 which is more expensive. They would only take the car for $20000 even after only owning it for less than 3 months! The sales guy did a car fax on the Lexus and the car fax came up as CLEAN CAR, NO ACCIDENT! But I noticed that the other Dealership only used car proof. So I took the liberty of doing my own car proof on the vehicle. AND GUESS WHAT?! CAR CAME UP AS FRAME DAMAGE! THAT SALES GUY WAS GOING TO CROOK ME AGAIN AND LET ME WALK OUT WITH A FRAME DAMAGED CAR AGAIN!!!!!!!! I'm so angry at my experience! He said we were like his kids. Ya thanks for giving me a broken car. I hope you don't give your real kids a dumb car! And steal their money from right under them! CROOKS I TELL YOU!!! Never ever buy a car from them EVER! After talking to other people either in person or on the internet I found out I'm not the only one that were crooked from them. That is why I'm making this bad review so it hopes it does not happen to the next person looking for a honest review from this dealership! BAD SERVICE! I had to wait 3 months for my stupid complimentary paint pen that was suppose to be given to me the day I bought the car! And they switched up my cup holder cause one was broken and it wasn't even matched to the proper year of the cup holder (This may not be a big issue for some but if you spend 30 GRAND on a car and for a BMW I EXPECT BETTER! NO OFFENSE! SO NEVER TRUST THEIR SALES ASSOCIATES! OURS WAS A DAMN CROOK! AND THE FINANCE MANAGER OR WHOEVER APPRAISES VEHICLES IS A JERK!

SO NO I WILL NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS DEALERSHIP! SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A COUPLE MORE MONTHS AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSE WHERE, WHERE THEY ARE CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED AND DO CAR PROOFS BEFORE PURCHASE AND DO NOT LIE TO YOU WITH BROKEN PROMISES!

P.S THEY SAID I COULD GET A DISCOUNT FOR XENON HEADLIGHTS BUT GUESS WHAT IT STILL COST JUST AS MUCH AS TAKING IT TO THE BMW DEALERSHIP, AND THE MODEL FOR MY VEHICLE SHOULD HAVE COME WITH FACTORY XENON HEADLIGHTS!!!!!! SO THAT SHOULD OF ALSO BEEN A RED FLAG THAT THE CAR WAS DAMAGED! OH AND THE PAINT IS OFF!

ARRRGH I CANNOT EXPRESS TRULY HOW ANGRY I AM WITH THE SERVICE AND THIS DEALERSHIP IN GENERAL!!! I DON'T NORMALLY TAKE THINGS TO THE INTERNET! BUT I NEED EVERYONE TO BE AWARE!

BUYER BEWARE PEOPLE PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES AND NEVER BUY A VEHICLE FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

BTW: Went to the actual BMW dealership, let me tell you it was a DREAM! Our sales associate his name is TIM was super informative, no bull***** and was very great to deal with! He was straight forward and knew him stuff! Great sales man who is honest and knows what the hell he's talking about! I've never had such a wonderful experience! And AGAIN I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT GOING TO HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE! Birchwood BMW was great to deal with! Tim inspected the car for me and he was the one who answered the phone when I was asking about how much an oil change would cost. Thank god he did cause I would have never known! Want a great sales guy who is not like your stereotypical sales guy and who is well informed and totally REAL I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Tim from the Birchwood BMW dealership on Portage! I am not at all associated with this person to anyone who thinks I'm giving false advertising on here! I think praise and recommendations are put out to those who deserve it!

If I had a wonderful experience and didn't have so much trouble I wouldn't be wasting my time here on the internet, taking my precious time to write this review in full detail! BUT I BELIEVE THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ANY CONSUMER TO KNOW BEFORE THEY EVEN THINK ABOUT CONSIDERING A USED VEHICLE FROM THIS DEALERSHIP!

P.S.S I WAS BETTER OFF BUYING A CAR OFF EBAY! THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEAPER AND IT SAYS THERE SMACK DAB CAR PROOF! AND I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE RAN A CAR PROOF ON MY OWN! BUT NO WINNIPEG IS MY HOMETOWN SO I COULD NOT BELIEVE THEY DID THIS TO ME!!!

ANOTHER NOTE: Went back there to complain the secretary lied to me when I asked to speak to the owner personally! And the used sales manager would not get him for me to talk to. The conversation with the used sales manager was HELL! He was not nice, did not greet us when going to him office. And when expressing my frustration he told me to lower my voice? Can he not understand what has happened to me?! I wasn't even yelling?! He said and I quote "The owners right there, you can go get him yourself if you want, but I'm not going to chase him for you" BAD SERVICE!!!!! And after expressing to him my frustration all he said was "We don't do car proof, we only do car fax" WELL CAN YOU DO BOTH SO I DON'T HAVE TO SPEND $40 ON LIES?! The car has clearly something wrong with it?! DO YOU IGNORE CAR PROOF?! And say it's not reliable when I am experiencing this much grief?!

I have tried to fix this myself, but it seems like a lost cause. BUYER BEWARE...

This is how they deal with you after they have taken your money! You are not a customer to them, you are nothing but a number (insert $ amount here) and potential phone numbers!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
2973 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
kris1122 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2011 9:18 pm
SORRY BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS DEALERSHIP!
IE. I AM NOT ONE TO POST NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON THE INTERNET! BUT I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THEY TRICKED A GENUINE NICE PERSON AND TOOK FULL ADVANTAGE OF THAT AND THEY MISLEAD ME TO BELIEVE I HAD BOUGHT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE! I DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE!

Wow Kris, that's a very horrific buying experience. If you're buying used it just re-enforces the fact that you need to do all of your research and not rely on these used car salesmen. What kind of BMW did you buy? Also, have you thought about just taking them to court or perhaps publicly exposing them for their lies?
Nov 30, 2010
173 posts
13 upvotes
Wow that sucks. You just cant take anyone at their word anymore. Always have any used vehicle examined by a mechanic you trust before buying. If they have a problem handing you the keys so you can have that done, walk away. Any reputable place selling cars should let you have a car checked over by a mechanic you trust.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25450 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
First of all, to the OP TX1980, It is a shame you had t leard a hard lesson about dealing over the phone. A vehicle is a major purchase and over the phone or even the internet never really gives you the real 'flavour" or the purchase. I think you are frustrated because you do not have your deposit back yet....although ni i=one has told you that you will never get it back yet either.

To Kris1122, your tale of woe begins when you buy a BMW form a Kia dealer. You should have gone to a BMW dealer to begin with. I understand that this was your first vehicle purchase and you know very little about cars (your descriptions of problems explain that) but, as the expression goes, buyer beware. The oil light (if that is what it was) is no big deal, whomever changed the oil did not know how to reset the BMW systems. Some of your other issues may be explained away too. I understand your emotions in this dilema but, buying a used car is very often buying someone elses problems, remember that in the future.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Nov 28, 2011
1 posts
Winnipeg
I bought my 2007 Toyota Sienna from this dealership when they were still in Pembina and not yet a KIA dealer. I thought I got a good deal, low mileage, low price, engine seems good according to a mechanic we asked. I even ordered the carfax on this car and no accident was recorded, it was originally from Florida. After a few months, the power door got stuck and we went to a Toyota dealer to have it fixed, the power door is very expensive so we opted to just make it a manual door. Months passed and we noticed how the door is getting out of alignment but we thought this is only because of the power door kit being removed. It's been 2 years since we bought the car and now the door is noticeably out of alignment that it is scraping the car body paint when you open or close the sliding door. We went back to Toyota to ask them if removing the power door caused this problem, and they examined the car closely and told me that it has been in an accident and was badly repaired. I said no, that couldn't be true, we had the carfax on this car and it says no accident in the US and no accident here in Manitoba because we have a no-fault insurance under MPI, no way we're not gonna report an accident. Well, they said it has been in an accident and they showed me how the car paint on the inside of the door was slightly sprayed up to the rubber gasket (which they said is not possible with Toyota's original paint job) and how the door on passenger sliding door is not even in the middle as in too wide on the right and no space on the left. Three service staff said the same thing. I brought it to two autobody shops and they told me the same thing, this car has been in an accident and was not repaired properly.

I complained to Autotown and the manager who monitors the website said, sorry it's been 2 years we cannot say that nothing has happened to your car after you bought that from us. I said if I had an accident, I would report it to Autopac, I have more merits than I need and all I have to pay is $200 deductible and where the heck would the other car be if I was the one who had the accident? I said I bought it like this from you, there was an accident in the US that you didn't disclose. They claimed that their cars are all certified and accident-free but the manager told me that they don't really inspect the cars they buy from the US. They said they only rely on the carfax report same as I did. THIS IS ********! I am an ordinary buyer with limited knowledge on cars, but they are a dealer and a big one at that! I DON'T BUY THEIR STORY THAT THEY RELY ON CARFAX BECAUSE THEY HAVE MECHANICS AND OTHER STAFF WHO ARE LOOKING AT THE CARS AND MAKING SURE THEY ARE SHOWROOM READY. They want me to believe that they didn't know the damage as well but I don't believe them. Then the manager said buyer beware, yes he had the guts to say that to me. This is obviously an unscrupulous dealer who just want to make a profit with really bad customer service.

THIS DEALER SHOULD NOT BE DOING BUSINESS! DON'T EVER BUY FROM THEM, THEY ADMITTED NOT INSPECTING CARS THEY ARE SELLING SO DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF THEIR ADS OR CLAIMS.
Dec 26, 2011
1 posts
WINNIPEG
I went in to look at a Pontiac Vibe today....

These guys tried to lowball my trade in by thousands- they literally would have made 30%* profits off of me on the trade alone, and the 07 vibe they had was priced HIGHER than a lower km 08 Vibe just down the street which had far more options etc. They also have a hidden 600 dollar fee for admin **** (like sharpening the pencil).

They haven't changed from their ****** ways when they had their old crappy shop. I spit on their ****** dealership and will be telling everyone I know my opinion.
Nov 6, 2011
1 posts
bought a used 2010 Kia Soul and traded a 2006 vehicle. Negotiations went well. They offered what I considered a very fair trade and the price of the vehicle also was fair in my opinion. I am sure I could have pushed for a better deal but I accepted the numbers and everyone was happy. I was planning to pay cash for the difference but was told if I financed they would reduce the price. It was open financing that I could pay off anytime. I was told three months but then they said basically anytime I could pay it off. It made more sense to take the finance discount so I asked them for a payment over 4 or 5 years. I was given two options and accepted the 4 year option. I confirmed three times that was it....the FINAL NON CHANGING ALL IN payment. After I kind of regretted this as I felt that the finance rate they probably quoted me on would be higher then what I would qualify for but since i was paying it off right away it was no big deal. All was good. When I went to pick up the vehicle this is where the problems began. It was a busy day for vehicle deliveries so at the last minute I was given to another person to finalize the deal. This person did not have all the details and was inputting data as I sat there. I had made a $500 deposit and chose to leave that on the purchase so that reduced the original payment by $14. We continued on with the process. I was offered a warranty at almost three times the price of what I could buy a much better warranty for online and I declined all additionals like rustproffing, etc. This is when there was a NEW payment amount presented to me of $6 higher per month. I was told this was due to my loan being under a certain value and that the bank charges a higher interest rate on that amount. It was out of their hands....it was the bank. So that is untruth number one. The price of the vehicle could be adjusted if they had no control over the finance rate. I then explained the entire process that I had a payment I felt was a non changeable payment when i made the deal and now they are changing the payment. This went back and forth and I was given some stories about internal operational issues that sales people are not supposed to give out monthly rates, that used car financing is expensive...all things that had nothing to do with the issue at hand. So this was untruth number two.

The obvious untruth is that the sales person asked me if i would be taking an extended warranty and i flat out said no. Then he came back with my payment. So when I was quoted a payment they knew that information. When the rate changed I was told two different stories. I was told they had a warranty in the deal which made my loan over a certain dollar amount which lowered my interest rate and created that payment amount. This is such an obvious untruth. If my payment included $2000 for a warranty then it would never have been the amount they quoted me. It would have been at least $41 a month higher plus interest. So if that is the truth then there was no way they could do the deal the way they told me they could. I was also told that it was the other finance person who put that warranty in the deal to get that rate but that could not be true as the person i was sitting in front of inputted all the numbers. So he mentioned another person who had not touched the deal.

The next story was from the person who put the deal together with sales person....maybe a floor manager? The sales person was off that day so this did not help. He said and this could possibly be true that the rate was only an estimate and subject to financing which of course makes sense. He said they have problems with sales people not telling customers that and he seemed frustrated by this. But internal operational issues are not my problem nor are they my business. But here is where he lost my trust. He said he dislikes giving out monthly payment numbers for this reason. I believe dealers love to negotiate on monthly payments as they can increase profit much easier this way. So this may be the only dealer in the world who does not like to negotiate this way but I am not believing it.

At the end of it all they would not budge and I accepted the deal as i knew I would be paying it off. But there were too many untruths here to just let it go and I hardly believe that this is the first time. The auto industry has a terrible reputation for scamming people and during my vehicle shopping I saw FAR worse things than what happened at Autotown Kia.

I gave auto town a week as I thought somebody may contact me like the salesperson to apologize or the president of the company to act like they at least cared about what happened. I told them this was not a positive experience and that I felt I was being taken advantage of and I would be telling others NOT to shop at Auto Town. I was told at that time that my experience was not falling on deaf ears.... it seems like it did.

What should have happened is the vehicle price should have been adjusted to live up to their agreed upon price. If they could not do that then some service credit or something should have been offered. When you truly honestly mess up then you usually fix it. When it is standard operating procedure or a scam then you have your routine and you do nothing.

From a business side of things..... Auto Town more than loses. The difference in payments was $288 in total. I was looking for a remote starter and winter tires and rims for my vehicle and was planning to get quotes that day but I did not. I am removing all the Autotown badging from the back of the vehicle. I would not take the vehicle there for service or purchase anything from them again. I LOVE my car and people ask me about it so the story gets spread around....all of this for $288 dollars.

Margins must be real thin on cars to think this way.

Buyer Beware.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17614 posts
1636 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Why so many newbies?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
× < >