Group Deal Discussion

Don't buy from Teambuy :(

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2013 10:01 pm
Jan 9, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote

Don't buy from Teambuy :(

I purchased 2 vouchers for a spa for my mother and I to go to for mother’s day. Our first appointment was cancelled and I wasn’t back in town until the voucher had expired (I attend school in a different city). Although the deal expires on a set date, it clearly states on the voucher and on the website that the amount paid NEVER expires.
The spa was dirty, the service was unprofessional and only one pedicurist showed up to work that day even though I’d booked two pedicures together. When I tried to use my vouchers which I’d told the girl about when I walked in, the owner went ballistic. She screamed at me, accused me of trying to steal from her and said teambuy had never paid her. This woman literally screamed at me, not an exaggeration- it really put the cherry on top of a crappy spa experience.

I argued a bit, but I paid the full amount and figured I could just call teambuy and get a refund from them- it is, after all, their official policy that the amount paid never expires.

I sent an email as soon as I got home from the spa. I also tried to call their customer service line twice with no answer. My email was never answered.

A few days later I tried the phone lines again, figuring they may have been down for New Years. I called three times and was finally answered the third time. The woman first offered me a refund in teambuy bucks, but when I persisted she took my information, found the email I’d sent and said she’d start a case for me to look into it. She said I’d get my money back in about a week, and that I’d receive an email with details of my case and the case number to refer to in a couple days.

I called back a week later and there was no record of my problem. They could not find my original email. There was no case file and literally no record of my having ever made a complaint.
After paying $40 for two coupons and paying $70 at the spa, apparently my refund can only be made in teambuy bucks. It is "physically impossible" for them to refund my credit card.

I complained about my treatment by the spa and the representative from Teambuy (who stated that he is the manager of their customer service department) apologized, but that was it. I asked about why that happened, I asked why someone at the company had lied to me and created a fake case file and he just said “I don’t know.”

“Are you going to look into who started a fake case file for me?”

“Well I mean there’s not a whole lot I can do.”

“Will you be contacting the spa to get my money back to Teambuy?”

“It’s not really worth it for such a small amount.”

Question: If you consider it a small amount then why not just refund it to keep a customer? The company is willing to lose a customer who has bought multiple deals from them just to save forty bucks. What's the point of having policies if you pick and choose which ones you enforce? It's not their policy to issue refunds ever, but it's also their policy that the amount paid can never expire.

Don't purchase anything from this site- if something goes wrong, even if it's totally beyond your control, they don't take responsibility for it.

Anyone else had a bad experience?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
52 upvotes
Kaitelyn wrote:
Jan 10th, 2013 8:45 am
This entire forum is full of bad experiences from Team Buy and other group buy companies in general.

I've learned not to touch any group deals with a 10 feet pole, even if I was gagged and held at gunpoint.

The hassles and stupidity of these group deals are just not worth it. Notice how the larger reputable companies never, ever run group deals and only the small mom and pop shops? Or businesses that pop up overnight with a cookie cutter website? The entire group buy industry is nothing but a scam.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3967 posts
1139 upvotes
Montreal
I never had any problem with Teambuy.

Before I buy anything, I did a research on the product/location that offer the discount & ask question if needed on their Q&A page. I don't buy just because of cheap.

Your voucher was bought over seven months ago (before mother's day?), there is no way they can/will refund your money. The woman who responded your call offered a refund in Teambuy bucks but you insisted to have "cash refund"
...I persisted she took my information, found the email I’d sent and said she’d start a case for me to look into it. She said I’d get my money back in about a week, and that I’d receive an email with details of my case and the case number to refer to in a couple days.
I always shown voucher before the service / order the meal.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20489 posts
1251 upvotes
Aurora
iridium001 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2013 4:41 pm
The hassles and stupidity of these group deals are just not worth it. Notice how the larger reputable companies never, ever run group deals and only the small mom and pop shops? Or businesses that pop up overnight with a cookie cutter website? The entire group buy industry is nothing but a scam.
I totally agree.

If you are a business owner and you agreed to perform a service how would you feel if certain people paid half price while regular customers pay full price.

I think the people paying the cheaper price will get an inferior service.

If I asked you to paint my house for $1000, you would probably put a lot of effort into it because you know you are making some decent money. But if I only paid you $10, I am sure the quality of the work will be equal to a 2 year old face painting.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
15224 posts
3277 upvotes
iridium001 wrote:
Notice how the larger reputable companies never, ever run group deals and only the small mom and pop shops?
While it's rare, I have seen some large companies on the group buy type sites including Old Navy and Amazon.
Both were for gift certificates at 50% off.
There's probably a few others, but they're more an exception than a rule.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
emmafb wrote:
Jan 10th, 2013 7:43 pm
I never had any problem with Teambuy.

Before I buy anything, I did a research on the product/location that offer the discount & ask question if needed on their Q&A page. I don't buy just because of cheap.

Your voucher was bought over seven months ago (before mother's day?), there is no way they can/will refund your money. The woman who responded your call offered a refund in Teambuy bucks but you insisted to have "cash refund"

I always shown voucher before the service / order the meal.
Maybe I wasn't clear... I definitely showed my voucher before the service and then after the service I showed it again, this time to the owner of the spa. She went nuts and completely refused to honour the amount paid. When I called Teambuy customer service, one of their reps "took my information, found the email I'd sent and said she was starting a case file for me." She said she just had to confirm that the spa had not, in fact, honoured the amount paid, and if they truly hadn't then I would get my credit card refunded. The only reason I purchased a teambuy voucher in the first place is because the amount paid is supposed to never expire.

I've used groupon and living social many times before without any issues, groupon has given me a refund before when I've had trouble with a business.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
iridium001 wrote:
This entire forum is full of bad experiences from Team Buy and other group buy companies in general.

I've learned not to touch any group deals with a 10 feet pole, even if I was gagged and held at gunpoint.

haha, I get that it's a scam now and I won't be going back either.

But when the websites were first popping up a couple years ago I had some great experiences. I've bought group deals for Pita pit, The body shop, American Apparel, Dunn's deli and a number of spas and I only had a problem once before when I couldn't manage to book an appointment at a spa and received a refund (not from Teambuy). I bought the vouchers for my mom and I genuinely believing that the spa would honour the amount paid- or, failing that, Teambuy would. You're right, it's a scam, but it sucks :(
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3967 posts
1139 upvotes
Montreal
I always check on expire date & make sure I'll be able to use it before. On their FAQ:

Are my purchases Refundable?
You may opt-out of a deal at any time before the deal closes. Returns are handled on a case-by-case basis and will be reviewed by our customer service team. Please e-mail info@teambuy.ca with subject "refund" and clearly describe your situation. For the most part we consider a purchased deal to be final after the deal closes at midnight.

The voucher are consider 'Final Sale'. But in your case, if it is because the owner did not want to honour the amount you paid, then it is another story.
Always remember any site can be out of business & not stocking vouchers.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2354 posts
370 upvotes
emmafb wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 8:43 am
I always check on expire date & make sure I'll be able to use it before. On their FAQ:

Are my purchases Refundable?
You may opt-out of a deal at any time before the deal closes. Returns are handled on a case-by-case basis and will be reviewed by our customer service team. Please e-mail info@teambuy.ca with subject "refund" and clearly describe your situation. For the most part we consider a purchased deal to be final after the deal closes at midnight.

The voucher are consider 'Final Sale'. But in your case, if it is because the owner did not want to honour the amount you paid, then it is another story.
Always remember any site can be out of business & not stocking vouchers.
w.a.d.r. emmafb, being an 'apologist' for companies that take your money and keep it and provide no service isn't the RFD way. If a company falls back on their fine print when a problem that is totally not the customer's fault arises, well, that's a company to steer clear of, whatever the fine print says.

I thought by now that "don't buy from TeamBuy" was an aphorism like "don't spit into the wind" and "don't s*it where you sleep".

The whole industry is ripe for federal regulation... but in the mean time, a lot of "internet entrepreneurs" are going to make a lot of money, and get out while the gettin's good.
Human Right's Campaign "Coming Out Center" - Visibility = Understanding. If you're queer, be seen and heard. Come Out!
The Story of Bottled Water - Bottled water is terrible and wasteful!
SDM Optimum points primer
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
iridium001 wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I would NEVER ever buy SPA or service related things (spa, duct cleaning, hair cuts etc) from a group buying website because usually the service will be subpar, or it will be a phantom company. However I have had group deals for "THE HOST Indian Cuisine", which have 3 fine dining restaurants in GTA, as well as are the largest indian caterer in the GTA as well. I know the owner, and when I used my group deal I asked him why he did it, even though his business was doing well. He told me that the majority of his customers are repeat customers (i.e. myself), and with the group deals they got a significant number of new customers in to try the restaurant, and quite a few of them have come back without a group deal.

Also when Toronto custom suits was a reputable company, I bough a group deal for $125 off a custom suit. Which came pretty much on time, and was a great fit.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
iridium001 wrote:

That's not necessarily true. I would NEVER ever buy SPA or service related things (spa, duct cleaning, hair cuts etc) from a group buying website because usually the service will be subpar, or it will be a phantom company. However I have had group deals for "THE HOST Indian Cuisine", which have 3 fine dining restaurants in GTA, as well as are the largest indian caterer in the GTA as well. I know the owner, and when I used my group deal I asked him why he did it, even though his business was doing well. He told me that the majority of his customers are repeat customers (i.e. myself), and with the group deals they got a significant number of new customers in to try the restaurant, and quite a few of them have come back without a group deal.

Also when Toronto custom suits was a reputable company, I bough a group deal for $125 off a custom suit. Which came pretty much on time, and was a great fit.

oh and photobookcanada (also reputable) has had a group deal before, which i used to make a wedding album.
Jan 26, 2012
146 posts
35 upvotes
BRANTFORD
I bought one of the $12 yogapants deals in mid November, which was supposed to be delivered during the week of Dec 21st. I heard absolutely nothing from them at any point, no progress, no shipping confirmations..I finally called last week to ask what had happened. They said there was a delay with getting the products shipped..same story I have read on here about other groupbuy products that never got to their buyers. I got a case #..waited 5 days then called back..no update, as of Jan 7th. Not even once piece of information on this order other than it is delayed, basically just wait. I asked for a refund, which I have received thankfully. I don't think I was ever going to get this product that was intended as an Xmas gift.

Based on my experience with group sites, the only products worth purchasing are hotel deals and coupons for restaurants. Any physical products are not worth the hassle of something like this happening. And it seems to happen often when they have to ship the item to you.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
moss27 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 7:14 pm
I bought one of the $12 yogapants deals in mid November, which was supposed to be delivered during the week of Dec 21st. I heard absolutely nothing from them at any point, no progress, no shipping confirmations..I finally called last week to ask what had happened. They said there was a delay with getting the products shipped..same story I have read on here about other groupbuy products that never got to their buyers. I got a case #..waited 5 days then called back..no update, as of Jan 7th. Not even once piece of information on this order other than it is delayed, basically just wait. I asked for a refund, which I have received thankfully. I don't think I was ever going to get this product that was intended as an Xmas gift.

Based on my experience with group sites, the only products worth purchasing are hotel deals and coupons for restaurants. Any physical products are not worth the hassle of something like this happening. And it seems to happen often when they have to ship the item to you.
That blows and completely undermines the point of buying a Christmas gift, geez.
Upside is that at least they gave you a refund. I was told that it's "physically impossible" for them to give refunds ever :S such a scam.
Jan 31, 2013
2 posts
Kaitelyn wrote:
Jan 10th, 2013 8:45 am
I have one that i'm still working through with Teambuy and not yet sure if I should be amused or angered by the sheer stupidity of the situation. Amused is probably better for my sanity.

I've been using Teambuy for about 6 months with about 2 dozen purchases in that period. Up until now, my attitude with group buys has been, do your research and you should be fine. Since this is an on-going dispute I won't include too many details, but basically, I ordered a product that came to me with missing AND damaged parts. I contacted Team Buy and they asked me to send in photos of the damaged parts and they would look into it. I did, and Teambuy responded back that the supplier advised the parts in question are actually a part of shipping packaging and is not supposed to be used. Amongst other rebuttals to this ridiculous assertion, let's just say the parts in question were one of the listed features of product on the original Teambuy advertisement itself, and let me highlight that the parts are a SAFETY feature. I emailed back a number of rebuttals of why this response is ludicrous and received back a one-liner email that did not provide a single response to my rebuttals and said simply that the supplier assures Teambuy that they are packaging, and for me to let Teambuy know if I want the supplier to contact me directly.

Are you serious? Just because your supplier (one whose products Teambuy often features) says this you're going to pass it on to your customers even though it is a complete lie? Honestly, the stupidity of the situation is almost comparable to the supplier telling Teambuy pigs can fly and then Teambuy repeating that to me. And the suggestion of passing me off to the supplier is just bad customer service. I called and spoke with a supervisor who appeared to be more than a mindless machine and actually looked up their own records and agreed that the parts were part of the product description and image sent to Teambuy from the supplier, so agreed to follow up again. I said the only acceptable resolutions are get me a proper product (that I paid for 2 months ago) or give me a refund, and all he said was "he'll try his best". I followed up the next day on status and received an email that said only "We have emailed the merchant again. Have a good day." At least he's still looking into it for me (or so it seems).

As this is on-going, Teambuy still has a chance of making things right. However, I will never make a purchase from them again - passing off such a blatant lie is completely unacceptable and speaks lengths about Teambuy's business ethics (that or its incompetence). It is disgusting that this supplier would lie about a SAFETY feature of the product to avoid having to replace it. BTW, Kaitlyn, you should contact your credit card company about the money you paid Teambuy for the spa - your credit card company WILL dispute with the merchant charges for services or products that you never received, although i'm not sure if length of time since the charge is a factor.

Anyone else find their token email signoff of "Have a good day." or "I hope you have a good day." super annoying? Totally dismissive.
Apr 22, 2013
2 posts
I just ran into the same thing -- I bought 3 vouchers for cleaning services (2 as gifts) and the business apparently went out of service while the ticket was valid. So I called to get a refund...teambuy refused, and only gave me teambucks. Apparently the knew of the problem, and didn't notify me.

Let me say that I use Groupon and LivingSocial religiously -- the merchants have been thrilled to honor the vouchers, as it brings in repeat business (I have gone back and paid full price to any establishment that was well worth it). I've done spas, pedicures, high end restaurants, little deli's and ice-cream shops, hotel travel, etc. and I've never been treated differently. They know if they want repeat business they have to step up. So I have no issues with most merchants. But Groupon in particular has actively notified me if a business has become defunct, or is no longer honoring vouchers, and have given me a refund, not just groupon bucks. TeamBuy is simply the worst one I have dealt with, this isn't the first time that they had a merchant who could not honor the deal and I keep accumulating teambucks with nothing to buy. Simply the worst.
× < >