• Sep 13th, 2017 1:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10092 posts
555 upvotes

Donut shops, not fancy

Hi, looking for some good old fashioned donut shops. Not the fancy new ones. If anyone's been to Paula's donuts in Buffalo, that's what I'm looking for. Imagine Tim Hortons donut selection but actually delicious and not trash.
15 replies
Aug 22, 2014
879 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What location? I have yet to find something like this in downtown Toronto. Most donut shops are the fancy new ones ($3+ per donut).
Jul 26, 2015
249 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if these count as modern... But as a donut enthusiast, I like:

Tiny Tom Donuts - 7323 Woodbine Ave, Markham, ON L3R 1B5
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts - 215 Harbord St, Toronto, ON M5S 1H6 (multiple locations though)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10092 posts
555 upvotes
sn00ch wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:27 pm
What location? I have yet to find something like this in downtown Toronto. Most donut shops are the fancy new ones ($3+ per donut).
Sorry forgot to mention location, but anyone can post to help other donut lovers!

I live downtown Toronto but would try out any in the GTA! I have day off coming soon and will try to find some and report back
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
I could see this concept coming back in a few years as a "thing"...not necessarily something to attract some hipster scene. If it will last would be a different question. It may have been something that Coffee Time looked into doing but it may require rebranding or they found it undoable.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1552 posts
33 upvotes
The Donut Line in Orillia.
Randomly stumbled by that place getting gas going up North during the summer. Old school donut shop. Very well done classic donuts. Reminds me of the ones I had when I was a kid.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
May 29, 2008
623 posts
188 upvotes
Hamilton
There's this place in Hamilton... Grandad's Donuts... I'm not a huge fan myself but they have a bunch of flavours that are retired by Tim Hortons. They claim to make 300 Walnut Crunch a day, so I assume they make over a thousand donuts a day (because there are a bunch of other flavours). However, the first time I tried to get donuts there, it was 2:30 PM and they had already sold out of donuts.

When I finally got some, I wasn't impressed because it was hyped up to be some kind of god-like donut, that but I think that the reality of it is that the people who love it are just feeling nostalgic about their favourite retired flavours. To me, it was nothing compared to a Krispy Kreme original glazed, which is so light and soft that it's almost impossible to pick up gently without crushing the portion that your fingers are holding on to.
Sep 2, 2017
25 posts
20 upvotes
meepsheep wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:51 am

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts - 215 Harbord St, Toronto, ON M5S 1H6 (multiple locations though)
i love krispy kreme donuts , ill eat like 5 of the original glazed donuts because i cant just have one
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10909 posts
1471 upvotes
Toronto
What's wrong with Robin's doughnuts @ Birchmount & Ellesmere in Scarborough?
They are owned by the same company that owns Coffee time, so I honestly don't know if both are using the same doughnuts or not, but Robin's makes TH doughnuts seem stale.
Jul 20, 2012
484 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
If you are looking for good donuts try San Remo Bakery on Royal York Rd. You have to get there early because they sell all their donuts before lunch time. Lately when I go to the States I go to Dunkin Donuts. Their donuts are baked on site unlike the frozen offerings at Tim Horton's. I'm heading to Buffalo on Thursday so I'm going to pick some up.
May 27, 2004
905 posts
151 upvotes
I also really like Zehr's doughnuts in general (Loblaws has left this chain relatively untouched, so most locations make them from scratch daily). The Keswick location has awesome cronuts btw.

If you are ever near Sarnia, then go to Global Doughnuts. Some of the best in the province.

San Remo is pretty good, as is Port Union Bakery - cheap too.
Jun 4, 2006
403 posts
39 upvotes
Castlemore
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:31 pm
What's wrong with Robin's doughnuts @ Birchmount & Ellesmere in Scarborough?
They are owned by the same company that owns Coffee time, so I honestly don't know if both are using the same doughnuts or not, but Robin's makes TH doughnuts seem stale.
Thanks for the heads up! I used to LOVE Robin's doughnuts when I used to live out west, will check them out.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9728 posts
837 upvotes
meepsheep wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:51 am

Go to Krispy Kreme in Mississauga over any Toronto location. Toronto gets their doughnuts from the Mississauga location, but it's made overnight and delivered to the Toronto locations. Same doughnuts, but Mississauga is much fresher.

BTW, anybody know what the cost per dozen is now for both original and assorted?
Jul 26, 2015
249 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:02 pm
Go to Krispy Kreme in Mississauga over any Toronto location. Toronto gets their doughnuts from the Mississauga location, but it's made overnight and delivered to the Toronto locations. Same doughnuts, but Mississauga is much fresher.

BTW, anybody know what the cost per dozen is now for both original and assorted?
Yup, I know. But it's so far from where I am. I don't live downtown so going that far for some donuts is a bit extreme haha

I believe it's around 1.30 for one and 10 for a dozen.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18332 posts
3741 upvotes
Toronto
$9.75 doz
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:02 pm