• Jan 31st, 2017 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
natebailey wrote: I'm about 3 hours into the campaign now. HOLY SMOKES. This is my 1st time ever playing a DOOM game and I am absolutely blown away. It's so simple. Blow up demons. But its so so so so so so fun. That music really apms everything up.
Doom 1 & 2, and to certain extent, its spiritual successor Quake & Quake 2 are the same, but this reboot does it with so much style, and a "I don't give a F" mentality which is refreshing and awesome. The first 2 minutes of the game (waking up, punching monitor, riding elevator, cocking shotgun) are just so perfect in setting expectations for the rest of the game.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Spicy, I'm so glad we have another Doom advocate on this board. For a while, it seemed like ReeGee and I have been the most outspoken proponents of this amazing game... I was starting to wonder whether our fawning over Doom was actually reaching anyone.

Sunset Overdrive was another fave of mine... best new IP from the Xbone exclusives, and aside from maybe Rocket League, best new IP for consoles IMO.
DOOM was the best PC game I ever played. I would put this release of doom at the top of First Person shooter single player campaign. It out does Half Life.

It was incredible. Every part of it.. The fights were exciting and challenging. It wasn't boring. Every corner was exciting. Great game. Wish they had done a bit more with multiplayer.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
right now i decided to give a go to get a Wolfenstein Old Blood Platinum on the PS4 (just challenge maps left) then i will be getting back to this... this game was soo much fun... just reminded me of the days playing Doom and Doom 2 on the PC... such a nostalgic trip... anyone else ever play the Doom 2 Simpsons Wad? that thing was soo epic... pretty sure i played that more than just regular Doom 2... damn Flanders throwing bibles at me all the time!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote: anyone else ever play the Doom 2 Simpsons Wad? that thing was soo epic... pretty sure i played that more than just regular Doom 2... damn Flanders throwing bibles at me all the time!
Lol no but i'm about to go google that to try to find it to play it now
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
the first couple hrs was fun...now it seems kinda repetitive to me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
I hope to see this for $25-$30 again and I'll pick it up!
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1474 posts
356 upvotes
Nearly finished the campaign... and it's a hard one to evaluate really.

Gameplay wise, it's so damn smooth, polished and satisfying. Reminds me a lot of Bulletstorm, and Devil May Cry in that you're encouraged and rewarded by playing with style. So many options in combat so battles don't get too stale... which is great because the game design is actually super repetitive. I was hesitant going in because it didn't seem like there was much of a story, which is the case. Sure, there's probably some lore hidden behind all the codex you pick up along the way, but I'd rather the story unfold through cut-scenes vs. reading through text in pause screen. Easy to recommend for $20-30 if you just wanna shut your brain off and blow up baddies in a cool way.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
signore wrote: Nearly finished the campaign... and it's a hard one to evaluate really.

Gameplay wise, it's so damn smooth, polished and satisfying. Reminds me a lot of Bulletstorm, and Devil May Cry in that you're encouraged and rewarded by playing with style. So many options in combat so battles don't get too stale... which is great because the game design is actually super repetitive. I was hesitant going in because it didn't seem like there was much of a story, which is the case. Sure, there's probably some lore hidden behind all the codex you pick up along the way, but I'd rather the story unfold through cut-scenes vs. reading through text in pause screen. Easy to recommend for $20-30 if you just wanna shut your brain off and blow up baddies in a cool way.
It certainly isn't Witcher quality when it comes to the story, but it sure is fun as hell (no pun intended).

Not sure if you're into MP but definitely give it a try. I've yet to find a more satisfying feeling than turning into a baron and watching guys run in fear away from you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I loved the story, it was so well told for a videogame (ie. no forced cutscenes) and it was a ton of fun. Treating hell and these demons like a normal part of this giant energy corporation is so brilliant, there are so many hilarious tongue in cheek references to this ie "demonic invasion in progress", also the "audio logs" in hell from hell's perspective that paint the doom guy as this terrifying harbringer of death is also hilarious.

In terms of videogame stories, this is how I like to see them told, especially for this type of game.
It may not be incredibly thought provoking or have some crazy twist -in fact the story itself is pretty by the numbers- but it wasnt at all intrusive and it created a fun and believable world without taking itself very seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I loved the story, it was so well told for a videogame (ie. no forced cutscenes) and it was a ton of fun. Treating hell and these demons like a normal part of this giant energy corporation is so brilliant, there are so many hilarious tongue in cheek references to this ie "demonic invasion in progress", also the "audio logs" in hell from hell's perspective that paint the doom guy as this terrifying harbringer of death is also hilarious.

In terms of videogame stories, this is how I like to see them told, especially for this type of game.
It may not be incredibly thought provoking or have some crazy twist -in fact the story itself is pretty by the numbers- but it wasnt at all intrusive and it created a fun and believable world without taking itself very seriously.
I also like the brash, IDGAF attitude of the DOOM Marine. In most games, the player character is always often at the mercy of following everyone's orders and doing fetch quests where they have no say. "Don't destroy that piece of equipment - it's vital in..." * Doom guy punches monitor, destroys the machine, then gives it the finger*
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Had some damn good fun online in this game last night with a buddy. The teamplay versus modes in this game are pretty fun if you don't take them too seriously. We were playing soul harvest and that was awesome. I got to be one of those rocket firing demons at one point and going on a kill streak like that was wild.
Snap map is where the real fun is though hands down. So many amazing co-op modes and maps to play with friends. We ran through a few co-op campaign style creations that were too fun.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1474 posts
356 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: It certainly isn't Witcher quality when it comes to the story, but it sure is fun as hell (no pun intended).

Not sure if you're into MP but definitely give it a try. I've yet to find a more satisfying feeling than turning into a baron and watching guys run in fear away from you.
Finished the game... it REALLLY dragged on for me in the second half. The rinse/repeat nature of the combat and firefights became a chore. It definitely was fun as hell, but also dragged on a bit too long considering there wasn't much of a story/climax.

Ironically... I've just jumped back into Witcher to finally play Blood and Wine. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
signore wrote: Finished the game... it REALLLY dragged on for me in the second half. The rinse/repeat nature of the combat and firefights became a chore. It definitely was fun as hell, but also dragged on a bit too long considering there wasn't much of a story/climax.

Ironically... I've just jumped back into Witcher to finally play Blood and Wine. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Blood and Wines main story is amazing. Please isolate yourself from any internet guides and experience it firsthand.