• Jan 31st, 2017 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: doom has a story? FPS don't need a story. most successful fps out there counterstrike source/global offensive got none
By "story" it's really just 'Space Marine is sent to Mars or some desolate planet where research is taking place, and a portal to hell opens'.

It's a less nuanced Event Horizon, but with guns. If you remember, Counterstrike started as a Half Life Mod, and Half Life had a smarter version of the Doom story too, except you play a scientist, not a space marine.

But look at the Wolfenstein reboot. Here's a series that had no story except 'kill Nazis' and they managed to give it a great story that actually made BJ Blazkowitz a human being and not a nazi-killing terminator. My expectations for Doom are lower, but it's not out of the question.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: But look at the Wolfenstein reboot. Here's a series that had no story except 'kill Nazis' and they managed to give it a great story that actually made BJ Blazkowitz a human being and not a nazi-killing terminator. My expectations for Doom are lower, but it's not out of the question.
I'm already a huge fan of the game but when you put it that way what they managed to do with Wolfenstien really is amazing. I supposed they could attempt the same for Doom but I don't think anyone expects it at this point. As long as they put together a good campaign with cool level design, cool weapons and some variety, I'll enjoy it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: All it needs is good map design and good balanced gameplay and I'll be sold. I can easily live without ranking/progression and that's a thing that drives me away from a lot of current MP shooters because I can't keep up with people who spend hundreds of hours grinding away unlocking perks and gear I will never see. I truly miss shooters where you could jump in and be on the same level playing field as everyone else no matter how little or how much you played and the game held your attention simply by being fun.
I dont care for progression systems that are tied to how much time one spends on a game and I cant stand when game changing unlocks are tied to it but I really do enjoy the good skill based ranking systems that so many games like Rocket League, Halo 5, and Starcraft are all including nowadays.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
reegee wrote: all it needs is good map design and good balanced gameplay and i'll be sold. I can easily live without ranking/progression and that's a thing that drives me away from a lot of current mp shooters because i can't keep up with people who spend hundreds of hours grinding away unlocking perks and gear i will never see. I truly miss shooters where you could jump in and be on the same level playing field as everyone else no matter how little or how much you played and the game held your attention simply by being fun.

Not sure if you're serious but doom is known for its sp campaign and cs is a mp only game with no campaign. Doom doesn't need a story, it just needs a good campaign with cool level design that's fun
cs go?
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
Doom MP beta opens up today, anybody trying it out over the weekend?

They also released a live action trailer recently, sounds like its really good, can't watch it at work though :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Adams06 wrote: Doom MP beta opens up today, anybody trying it out over the weekend?

They also released a live action trailer recently, sounds like its really good, can't watch it at work though :(
How do you get into the beta?
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: How do you get into the beta?
You got a code for buying Wolfenstein: the New Order before May 2014.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Adams06 wrote: You got a code for buying Wolfenstein: the New Order before May 2014.
Damn thanks for the info. I checked and I got my copy of TNO in September> :(
Jun 29, 2015
31 posts
2 upvotes
Unionville, ON
M1GOmigs wrote: By "story" it's really just 'Space Marine is sent to Mars or some desolate planet where research is taking place, and a portal to hell opens'.

It's a less nuanced Event Horizon, but with guns. If you remember, Counterstrike started as a Half Life Mod, and Half Life had a smarter version of the Doom story too, except you play a scientist, not a space marine.

But look at the Wolfenstein reboot. Here's a series that had no story except 'kill Nazis' and they managed to give it a great story that actually made BJ Blazkowitz a human being and not a nazi-killing terminator. My expectations for Doom are lower, but it's not out of the question.
Exactly! Nobody is complaining about poor character development, story arcs, or realism. It's a shoot-em-up. They recognize that their audience isn't looking for quality storytelling - good for them.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
Adams06 wrote: You got a code for buying Wolfenstein: the New Order before May 2014.
Oh! I was wondering how I got an invite, as I'm someone that played TNO but rarely plays anything otherwise.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
DailyDrumble wrote: Exactly! Nobody is complaining about poor character development, story arcs, or realism. It's a shoot-em-up. They recognize that their audience isn't looking for quality storytelling - good for them.
Yes. Aren't we allowed to have one FPS that isn't lumbered with a tedious 'story' we don't care about?
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
they're giving free Xbone/PS4 closed beta codes at EB games in-store this weekend. i picked up two PS4 codes.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Just recently picked up Wolfenstein and now I understand why everyone was saying the gameplay was fun.
I am having a blast playing it, and it actually made me want to play doom.
If the gun-play going to be as fun as it is in Wolfenstein I think Doom is going to be a blast.

Is the beta ends this weekend? Does anyone know if there are any planned open betas or MP demos before the game is scheduled to be released?
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
So? Anybody played the beta, how is it?
Dec 26, 2007
633 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I played it...kinda fun...but I'm really only interested in doom for the single player
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
nihilist07 wrote: I played it...kinda fun...but I'm really only interested in doom for the single player
Not sure I'd buy this game for more than $5~$10 for the single player only.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
SpectralMeat wrote: Not sure I'd buy this game for more than $5~$10 for the single player only.
depends how good it is. If the single player campaign is as good as games like TNO or Max Payne 3 I'd happily pay $20-30. If it's a generic 6-8 hour run and gun fest then I agree with you
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
ReeGee wrote: depends how good it is. If the single player campaign is as good as games like TNO or Max Payne 3 I'd happily pay $20-30. If it's a generic 6-8 hour run and gun fest then I agree with you
I very much doubt it will be anywhere near as good as those games. Both of those games were primarily single player focused, TNO is single player only.
But like you said we will see. I hope to be wrong.

I think the majority of people who are looking forward to, or being disappointed with Doom were in it for the MP.