• Jan 16th, 2019 4:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1621 posts
513 upvotes
Oakville

Door-to-door meat and seafood sellers

I'm only looking for feedback from RFD members who've actually purchased from a door-to-door seafood and meat seller. The no contract kind, just pay for what you buy.

Was it a 1 time purchase or do you regularly purchase from them?
Last edited by Kursor17 on May 23rd, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7673 posts
2842 upvotes
Markham
I would not buy anything from a door to door...especially food stuff.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3365 posts
2564 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:25 am
I would not buy anything from a door to door...especially food stuff.
Or worse, by telemarketers and then in-home salesmen.... anybody here ever dealt with Shopco/Shop-at-home/Beefeaters (all the same company)?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone-e ... ds-157959/
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50998 posts
15681 upvotes
Can I trust the latest Best Before Date label?

How is this different from buying at a local seafood/meat farmer market where the middle man, presumably the grocery store, is eliminated from the equation?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7673 posts
2842 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:02 pm
Can I trust the latest Best Before Date label?

How is this different from buying at a local seafood/meat farmer market where the middle man, presumably the grocery store, is eliminated from the equation?
Operator is somewhat known ie they have a place of business. A door to door salesman shows up at my door and I have no idea where to find him when I'm throwing up and looking to go beat them up.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 14, 2017
894 posts
410 upvotes
DT Calgary
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:02 am
I'm only looking for feedback from RFD members who've actually purchased from a door-to-door seafood and meat seller. The no contract kind, just pay for what you buy.

Was it a 1 time purchase or do you regularly purchase from them?
OP, this so called salesman likely just stole it from the nearby grocery store and is trying to unload his recently acquired product.
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
The risk is too big to buy food from a salesman who goes from door to door. You simply can't know the quality of that meat.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29275 posts
15129 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:29 am
People sell food door to door now?
amz155 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:00 pm
X2

Astonished Face
Most door to door sales (with the exception of telecos and charities) have already been banned last year.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5703 posts
796 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:37 am
Most door to door sales (with the exception of telecos and charities) have already been banned last year.
People do all sorts of things that aren't allowed. I have a feeling that this is an under the radar type of thing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29275 posts
15129 upvotes
Ottawa
amz155 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:28 pm
People do all sorts of things that aren't allowed. I have a feeling that this is an under the radar type of thing.
If they are a legit business, you can report them and the fines are quite hefty.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24772 posts
10199 upvotes
Questionable meat of questionable origins sold by questionable people.

Seems legit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1621 posts
513 upvotes
Oakville
The rep that came to my door was from: Seal and Quality Foods. Individual portioned flash frozen meat that's vacuum sealed and sold in bulk (e.g. dozen portions per box) on an as needed basis and no contract. There is no grade level for the steaks on their website, so I presume the grade isn't AAA. They're affiliated with IQF Quality Foods from googling.

My neighbour bought from a rep from IQF Quality Foods a few times until their rep stopped showing up to sell more. Neighbour said the meat quality was better than store bought.

Based upon the online reviews, the service is not that great (including the indeed rating for the company). It may be due to the revolving door of the commission based door-to-door sales reps. I presume, the majority of the sales reps bail when they find a steady job.