• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 4:52 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 3, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes

Door to Door Salesmen Have Used These Secrets for Decades to Close the Deal

Not many people can say they are overly comfortable answering the door when an unannounced stranger knocks, and they are perfectly valid for having reservations. Canadians have long feared the knock at the door by the dreaded door to door salesman. There’s something incredibly taxing about having to speak with salespeople in your own home, the very place you're supposed to be most comfortable. Sometimes it can be tough to tell if you really do need what they are offering, or if their guidance is simply a meticulously constructed sales pitch designed to get you to purchase something superfluous.

Many homeowners breathe a sigh of relief if, at the end of a long, persistent sales pitch, the salesperson respects a simple no and lets you close the door without having to invest in a brand new set of Encyclopedias you’ll never read.

BUT, did you know that as of March 1st, 2018, laws prohibiting the sale of specific products and services door to door took effect??? I’m sure this comes as a relief to many homeowners, and yet I’m compelled to warn you: BUYER BEWARE.

Companies are circumventing door to door laws by selling products that fall within a grey area, meaning they are not specifically outlined on the list of products prohibited to be sold door to door. For instance, in the wake of these new laws, many companies who are in the HVAC business (a prohibited product to sell door to door) have shifted to selling subpar products such as Smart Home Thermostats to get the proverbial “foot in the door.” These products are often marked up exorbitantly, and the homeowner is later burdened with the additional cost of expensive installation fees.

Regardless of Ontario’s new law, there are still companies who choose to ignore the regulations and continue selling door to door. Unfortunately, companies who use tricky sales tactics to pressure you into buying give the entire industry a bad name.

I work with Simply Green and have been in the industry for a long time. I wanted to create this post to help protect homeowners avoid being taken advantage of. I've compiled a list of industry tricks and high-pressure tactics that companies use to hard-close a deal.

1. Keeping up the “Joneses”

Long before society was keeping up with the Kardashians, they were keeping with the Joneses. Door to door Salesmen will play on the insatiable need to fit in by having what our peers have (or better). Whether it's the newest model car, most up to date iPhone, or state of the art home theater system, the feeling to also have these items can be powerful. Salespeople know this very well, and make a point to subtly mention that neighbors in the area have just invested in their services or products.

More often than not this claim is false, and they are trying to initiate a sale purely based on you needing or wanting what they have. Sales experts also know that people are far more apt to blindly trust a company if they are told someone else trusts them.

How to avoid this tactic:

When a door to door sales person claims your neighbors have also purchased products from them, ask specific question. Ask “which neighbors?” “Which home?” “What did they purchase?” This almost always throws them off and if they weren’t telling the truth, they probably won’t have an answer.

2. Access denied

As bold as it may sound, 9 times out of 10 after a salesperson gives a pitch at your door he will break eye contact while simultaneously asking a question as a distraction. Usually, they will look down and point to their shoes. They know that instinctively you will look down to where they are pointing and they will ask if you'd like them to take off their shoes, taking the liberty of stepping inside your home before you give an answer. Once a salesperson has successfully gained entry into your home using this method, you might as well set them a place at the dinner table because it will be almost impossible to get them out.

Do not leave enough room at the entrance of your home, or better yet go outside and close the door behind you, eliminating any possibility of them gaining entry into your home.

3. The pen is mightier than the sword

A door to door salesmen will go to any lengths to get a pen into your hand. This can be achieved by giving you a free pen with their company logo, or the more sneaky approach is pretending to drop their pen, hoping you will kindly pick the pen up for them. Another ploy is they use is shuffling through papers or their products to make their hands are full so that they can ask you to hold their pen for them. Why is it so important for them to get a pen into your hands? Because studies show that the longer you have that pen in your hand the more likely you are to sign a contract to purchase their services or buy their product.

Never hold promotional products or tools for a door to door salesperson. Do not offer to hold their pen or bend over to pick up their pen if they “accidentally” drop it, even at the expense of looking rude. You’re far better off looking rude, than being on the hook for singing a binding contract.

Always remember, companies who provide excellent products would never need to resort to using such tactics, nor would they encourage them. Quality products and services sell themselves without manipulation. Salespeople have usually inherited their style, integrity and sale strategy over many years. Almost all door to door salespeople make their income on a commision basis. When sales are few and far between, employees can resort to old unethical tactics in desperation. If you do come across a salesperson who you feel is unethical or made you uncomfortable in any way, call the company immediately and report them! The saying one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch really does apply here, no reputable company wants to be associated with this type of behavior because, at the end of the day, salespeople are the face of any business.

Help protect your friends and family by passing along the information provided in this article. Keep in mind; unethical salespeople will usually prey upon those who have a difficult time saying no, for instance, individuals who are home alone, the elderly or young couples with little experience dealing with them. Inform them of the new laws that prohibit the door to door sales of particular products and services in Ontario. And let them know that Individuals or companies who violate the Ontario's Door to Door law will risk a fine of up to $50,000 or imprisonment for up to two years, or both.

Corporations will face a fine of up to $250,000.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1437 posts
172 upvotes
Ajax
Great read. I just don't open my door. Have a nice day.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13038 posts
2546 upvotes
London
I thought the #1 tactic is to misrepresent that they are from some government agency and are doing some mandatory inspection of the interior .

For example, Ontario Electricity and Fire Authority (OEFA)Door to door mandatory inspection for carbon monoxide detectors
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 26th, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 26, 2011
435 posts
371 upvotes
Calgary
I've developed a lot of standard answers to questions:

-I'm just renting
-I'm just house sitting
-My wife deals with all that kind of stuff
Feb 25, 2015
935 posts
298 upvotes
York Region
l69norm wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 10:09 am
I thought the #1 tactic is to misrepresent that they are from some government agency and are doing some mandatory inspection of the interior .

For example, Ontario Electricity and Fire Agency (OEFA)Door to door mandatory inspection for carbon monoxide detectors
I notice a lot of them used to have fake Enbridge badge to make their claim appear to be legit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8872 posts
867 upvotes
Efx wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 8:31 am
Great read. I just don't open my door. Have a nice day.
Basically. But a great read too.
Mar 1, 2016
122 posts
42 upvotes
Are you from the same Simply Home Green Services that has a 1.3 rating through the BBB website primarily as a result of complaints due to high pressure door-to-door sales tactics? Just asking.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 3, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
Door-to-door sales have been a long-standing issue in our industry and we support and adhere to Bill 59 because we believe in transparency and these rules will improve the home energy rental services business. We never conduct door-to-door sales. Our business is built on referrals and requests for service.
Jul 7, 2007
813 posts
324 upvotes
I just tell him because I'm Asian, I don't pay full price. In my culture, we haggle. I tell them, I'll only sign if you discount your price by 90%. We'll have to heavily amend the contract and terms before I sign. They always leave immediately.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1449 posts
303 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 10:27 am
I just tell him because I'm Asian, I don't pay full price. In my culture, we haggle. I tell them, I'll only sign if you discount your price by 90%. We'll have to heavily amend the contract and terms before I sign. They always leave immediately.
LOL Quite literally Zero Hope for that d2d salesman
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5129 posts
2064 upvotes
Paris
simplygreenhomeservices wrote:
Jul 27th, 2018 10:08 am
Door-to-door sales have been a long-standing issue in our industry and we support and adhere to Bill 59 because we believe in transparency and these rules will improve the home energy rental services business. We never conduct door-to-door sales. Our business is built on referrals and requests for service.
User name is an ad for company.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23763 posts
10181 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a Ring Pro...very akward giving a sales pitch while staring at a doorbell.
Oct 23, 2017
495 posts
246 upvotes
GTA West
I just say NO THANKS HAVE A NICE DAY as I am closing the door in their face, if I inadvertently open the door to a sales person. I am constantly preaching to my wife and others: NEVER buy anything at the door or over the phone and you will save yourself a lot of hassle. Those hepped up guys working on commission to sell driveway sealing and Bell Fibe TV look pissed off when they can't present their pitch. But you have no obligation whatsoever to listen to people who come to your house unsolicited or ring your number.

This treatment doesn't waste their time and they can move on to the next door.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 3, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
BigDurian wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 1:19 pm
Are you from the same Simply Home Green Services that has a 1.3 rating through the BBB website primarily as a result of complaints due to high pressure door-to-door sales tactics? Just asking.
Yes and no. We are the Simply Green you are referring to - but with new management and approach to doing business. We’ve eliminated Door to Door sales (in mid 2017). Unfortunately, our BBB rating has not caught up with the changes we’ve made yet.
Last edited by simplygreenhomeservices on Jul 31st, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2012
9919 posts
2086 upvotes
Saskatoon
I usually ignore the door, but if I do answer it, I can tell if it's a salesperson within seconds and will cut them off before they can get into their spiel. They don't get a chance to try to sell me anything.

OP, I don't know your purpose for starting this thread....answering questions about your service is okay but you should know that self promotion is not allowed and will get you banned pdq.