• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 11:04 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto

Doors for 70 inches opening

There is a room in our house that has a 70 inches opening, and we are planning to install simple doors to make it as a guest room. We notice the widest standard door is only 32 inches. So, a double doors would be 64 inches. I wonder if there are 35 inches wide door available in the market. So that I can avoid paying someone to narrow the opening before installing a pair of standard doors. Thanks for any advice.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Home Depot has wider doors than that. Get a 34 and a 36. If you talk to an actual door and trim place, they can probably do up a custom set that has the ceiling latch for the one door for the other one to latch too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Just build out the jamb. Two 34" doors and some 3/4" stock should do it.
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
djeffery wrote: Home Depot has wider doors than that. Get a 34 and a 36. If you talk to an actual door and trim place, they can probably do up a custom set that has the ceiling latch for the one door for the other one to latch too.
Thanks. Will check it out.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone's help. I found 36" doors from Homedepot website, I guess we can ask them to cut 1 inch from it. However, I just realize the height of the opening is also high --> 89". I don't think they have anything that tall. Might door company has it ? If not, could I build a 9" board above if I don't want to cut and take off the original trim. Thanks again.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
By the way, a contractor is quoting me $2,000 for reducing one side of the trim and install a pair of standard doors. The price doesn't even cover the painting of the job on the extended drywall.

I guess $2000 should be more than enough to ask a door company to custom built one that fits the size of the existing opening instead of modifying it. What do you guys think ?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Is the opening currently setup for a door? Or is it just a standard framed opening that you want to turn into a door way?

If it's just a standard opening you can easily have the height and/or width changed to fit a standard 80" height door
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Is the opening currently setup for a door? Or is it just a standard framed opening that you want to turn into a door way?

If it's just a standard opening you can easily have the height and/or width changed to fit a standard 80" height door
It is currently a framed as an opening.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Should be able to special order for around $1200 from Depot or Lowes desk. They will not cut doors in a store.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Should be able to special order for around $1200 from Depot or Lowes desk. They will not cut doors in a store.
I see. Thanks for the information. Once I get the custom sized doors, is it easy to install them with single hinges ?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
I got two 34x96" - 15 window pane doors from Home Depot a couple years ago for $56 each (they were normally ~$400!) They had a few dents in them so they said they were gong to be scrapped. I bought them and used wood filler to fix the dents and painted them and they have looked perfect since on our closets. Just wish I could find two more at this kind of price, for the other two rooms!
Might want to check out the stores for scratch n dents like this to save a ton?
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Jul 20th, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
IcarusLSC wrote: I got two 34x96" - 15 window pane doors from Home Depot a couple years ago for $56 each (they were normally ~$400!) They had a few dents in them so they said they were gong to be scrapped. I bought them and used wood filler to fix the dents and painted them and they have looked perfect since on our closets. Just wish I could find two more at this kind of price to the other two rooms!
Might want to check out the stores for scratch n dents like this to save a ton?
Thanks for the information. Which section would I find these items ? As it section like in IKEA ?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
rdx wrote: Thanks for the information. Which section would I find these items ? As it section like in IKEA ?
I got them in the door section of Home Depot.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
RCGA wrote: Just build out the jamb. Two 34" doors and some 3/4" stock should do it.
This. 2 x 34" doors and the door trim alone can cover up the 1" on either side, I'd wager. No need to spend thousands on custom doors.

You can get the doors pre-hung, which I'd advise. Will make it much easier to install properly. They'll need to line up to look decent.

If you were local to me, I'd tell you to go to someplace like Windsor Plywood. Out east, no idea who. Talk to @Jerico, if you can. He's the local door/window guru.

C
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
CNeufeld wrote: This. 2 x 34" doors and the door trim alone can cover up the 1" on either side, I'd wager. No need to spend thousands on custom doors.

You can get the doors pre-hung, which I'd advise. Will make it much easier to install properly. They'll need to line up to look decent.

If you were local to me, I'd tell you to go to someplace like Windsor Plywood. Out east, no idea who. Talk to @Jerico, if you can. He's the local door/window guru.

C
In general you can’t get pre-hung interior doors that are solid or a double door set. You can get them with knockdown jambs you can assemble yourself.

OP, I think you need to find a handyman.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
A custom door company quoted me $1350 installed and painted with my choice design.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)