Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dorco

Dorco Razors Summer Clearance

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2016 8:00 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1431 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto

Dorco Razors Summer Clearance

Deal Link:
Savings:
upto 50%
Retailer:
Dorco
I have had good experience with Dorco's razors (Pace 6) and just received at email that Dorco is having a summer clearance on their razors with upto 50% off. Note that they charge in US$ and free shipping to Canada is offered for above US$20.

http://www.dorcousa.com/sale-items-men/
58 replies
Feb 11, 2007
627 posts
375 upvotes
Dorco does not have deals like before and with the currency conversion won't be a good deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1431 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
So where do you go for the best razor deals nowadays?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1074 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
Take up traditional wet shaving using something like a safety razor and double edge blades and you won't have to worry about blade costs or looking for deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3841 posts
2260 upvotes
'Shwallywood
jjtsl wrote: So where do you go for the best razor deals nowadays?
Maybe not as good, but Costco had like a 30pack of wilkinson made rasor edge or something or another for pretty cheap
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5068 posts
3305 upvotes
These Dorco threads always seem to be popular, but like Phat I'm surprised most of you haven't made the swap to a double edged razor. Grab a Merkur on sale ($19-24ish) and a 100 pack of blades for like $15 and you're basically set for yearssssssss to come. It's typically a better shave + less irritation too, although there is a small learning curve.
Jan 27, 2014
17 posts
4 upvotes
dollar tree sells a 5 pack of bic razors single blade. honestly not to bad.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
3162 posts
2257 upvotes
Barrie
I use a double edge safety razor myself, made the switch two years ago and love it, however my wife still uses a cartridge razor system. I buy all her razors exclusively at Dorco when they go on sale.

I bought my first set of 42 cartridges and razor in Feb 2015 for $47.69 USD or $61.16 CAD
I bought my second order of the Pace 6 Cartridges 6 Pack (so 36 cartridges) in June of 2016 for $$26.10 USD or $34.92 CAD

So basically, if I use the time frame of 16 months per order, it is costing me ~$2.18 per month for their cartridges which I can handle.

I vouch for these blades and the prices are still very good to me!
Mar 17, 2015
333 posts
291 upvotes
Winnipeg
RiCHC3 wrote: These Dorco threads always seem to be popular, but like Phat I'm surprised most of you haven't made the swap to a double edged razor. Grab a Merkur on sale ($19-24ish) and a 100 pack of blades for like $15 and you're basically set for yearssssssss to come. It's typically a better shave + less irritation too, although there is a small learning curve.
I'm interested in this but lost about where to even get started.

I need a safety razor, pack of blades, soap & brush?

Where is a good place to start reading up and ordering this kind of stuff in Canada?

I don't mind spending a bit of $ to get good gear to get started as long as I can get away from the ongoing heavy cost of cartridges. I keep trying cheap cartridges to save some $ and end up with a bad shave and irritated face as a result.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
RiCHC3 wrote: These Dorco threads always seem to be popular, but like Phat I'm surprised most of you haven't made the swap to a double edged razor. Grab a Merkur on sale ($19-24ish) and a 100 pack of blades for like $15 and you're basically set for yearssssssss to come. It's typically a better shave + less irritation too, although there is a small learning curve.
can you recommend one from Merkur? My dads birthday is coming up and wouldn't mind getting him a quality razor and a bunch of blades.
Feb 5, 2008
790 posts
314 upvotes
CANADA
This deal sucks then - they're selling Pace 6 Plus cartridges for $37.90 USD whereas you got the regular Pace 6 in June of this year for $26.10 USD.

Huuuuuuuuge difference unless I'm missing something?

RunnerForDeals wrote: I use a double edge safety razor myself, made the switch two years ago and love it, however my wife still uses a cartridge razor system. I buy all her razors exclusively at Dorco when they go on sale.

I bought my first set of 42 cartridges and razor in Feb 2015 for $47.69 USD or $61.16 CAD
I bought my second order of the Pace 6 Cartridges 6 Pack (so 36 cartridges) in June of 2016 for $$26.10 USD or $34.92 CAD

So basically, if I use the time frame of 16 months per order, it is costing me ~$2.18 per month for their cartridges which I can handle.

Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
3162 posts
2257 upvotes
Barrie
projectrs2 wrote: This deal sucks then - they're selling Pace 6 Plus cartridges for $37.90 USD whereas you got the regular Pace 6 in June of this year for $26.10 USD.

Huuuuuuuuge difference unless I'm missing something?
RunnerForDeals wrote: I use a double edge safety razor myself, made the switch two years ago and love it, however my wife still uses a cartridge razor system. I buy all her razors exclusively at Dorco when they go on sale.

You are right by the looks of it. I was simply providing my experience in the past, not quoting this sale :) I was responding to someone that said the exchange rate makes Dorco less attractive.
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
143 upvotes
jjtsl wrote: So where do you go for the best razor deals nowadays?

Safety razors are the bomb. I get like a year's worth of Astra blades for $25 on my Merkur HD.
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
143 upvotes
wildlele wrote: Grow a beard and stop shaving.
Not everyone can grow a decent beard or is suited to have the beard look, furthermore, beards go in and out of style so it's only a matter of time before the current trend moves on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5068 posts
3305 upvotes
KrimsonStudios wrote: I'm interested in this but lost about where to even get started.

Where is a good place to start reading up and ordering this kind of stuff in Canada?

I don't mind spending a bit of $ to get good gear to get started as long as I can get away from the ongoing heavy cost of cartridges. I keep trying cheap cartridges to save some $ and end up with a bad shave and irritated face as a result.
To read up on it, wicked edge on reddit is where you want to have a look around -- https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/ There are beginner tips/faqs on the side as well.

I don't use any fancy soap or brush myself, although some people swear for that premium level shave. I just use some basic shaving cream or even just cetaphil and feel it works fine for me, but we all work differently with skin types and so on.

In any case, the standard for a safety razor is typically a Merkur and I've seen it go as low as $19ish. https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... rds=merkur
As for blades, most enthusiasts will recommend you buy a sampler pack which has a wide array of different blades for you to try and narrow down which works for you. Generally though, the Astra's on Amazon are the most popular https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Superior-Pr ... tra+blades
Penalty Box
Jul 2, 2016
356 posts
143 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:
can you recommend one from Merkur? My dads birthday is coming up and wouldn't mind getting him a quality razor and a bunch of blades.
I have both a Parker butterfly style razor: https://www.amazon.ca/Parker-Heavyweigh ... +butterfly

And a Merkur HD, short handle: https://www.amazon.ca/Merkur-Classic-Sa ... =merkur+hd

Paired with Astra blades: https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Superior-Pr ... tra+blades

I like both razors but find a lot less nicks with Merkur, likely due to the angle difference in the head. Each person may find different results with different razors and blades due to facial variations but also shaving technique. Most people seem to do great with the Merkur. I can easily do a weeks worth of beard with a Merkur with zero nicks. The only downside that I see with safety razors is that the thickness of the head typically doesn't do so great in areas where you require lots of accuracy, such as sideburns, goatee (if you sport one) and above the lip area to a smaller extent. That's why I have a box of cheap disposables on standby that I do a stroke or two precision work with and as such they last me a LONG time. I've been shaving with safety razors for over 2 years and would never consider doing so with disposables again. Disposables are a friggin racket.
Last edited by LukieC on Sep 27th, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5068 posts
3305 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: can you recommend one from Merkur? My dads birthday is coming up and wouldn't mind getting him a quality razor and a bunch of blades.
You're probably fine with any of the top 3 results on this page. https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... rds=merkur
It's more-so whether you think he'd like a short handle or a longer handle. The best seller on the Amazon.COM website is the long handle though -> USA Best sellers -> ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/b ... 71088011_1 )

As for blades, the Astra blades are usually the most popular https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Superior-Pr ... tra+blades although some like Personna (haven't tried it myself) https://www.amazon.ca/PERSONNA-Blades-6 ... s=personna
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1074 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
RiCHC3 wrote:
KrimsonStudios wrote: I'm interested in this but lost about where to even get started.

To read up on it, wicked edge on reddit is where you want to have a look around -- https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/ There are beginner tips/faqs on the side as well.

+1 - that is a great place to start. There is also a thread here on RFD which is nice because there is a bit of a local perspective.

Anyone in the GTA should check out Men's Essentials on the Danforth. It is great to be able to see and smell things in person, ask questions and get advice. They also ship as well for those not in the GTA. Orders over $50 qualify for free shipping via Canada Post.

Some other Canadian vendors worth checking out are:

Italian Barber (be sure to change currency to CDN at the top right hand corner of the page if it is not already set) - Free shipping on orders over $60 USD

Fendrihan - Free shipping on orders over $50 CDN

Badger Shaving Co - Free shipping on orders over $75 CDN
Last edited by Phat$ on Sep 27th, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4413 posts
1557 upvotes
I use the Long Handle Merkur (23C) and it's made a difference for me vs. the Fusion that I was previously using
From what i was reading, the Long Handle is traditionally made for people with big hands, but is also easier to use if transitioning from a cartridge since the handles are the same size. My 23C is the same as my Fusion.

I bought a variety pack of blades (readily available on ebay / amazon) so i could try out a variety. This is decent, although you can find cheaper: https://www.amazon.ca/Blade-Sampler-GIL ... =8-4-fkmr3
Truthfully, I haven't found too much difference in the blades, so when I'm done my pack, i'll probably grab some Astras

Grabbed a brush / shaving bowl / proraso from Fendrihan. Just beginner stuff, and it's done the trick.
Ebay - 340 - 0 - 0 | Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0 | Grailed - 126 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)