• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2017 7:24 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1145 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal
What's the employee version? As a employer, I would rather be worried having that kind of employee ...
[OP]
Apr 23, 2012
5 posts
4 upvotes
NORTH YORK
iamthebest wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:01 am
What's the employee version? As a employer, I would rather be worried having that kind of employee ...
well this happened in January and the employee's LONG LONG GONE!!! of course I wouldn't keep that kind of person.
the reason I post it up this just today is, the phone call from apparent law firm called me today in the afternoon
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1145 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal
luvorange wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:13 am
well this happened in January and the employee's LONG LONG GONE!!! of course I wouldn't keep that kind of person.
the reason I post it up this just today is, the phone call from apparent law firm called me today in the afternoon
Have you tried contacting the employee? Maybe he doesn't even know what's going on and it was a genuine mistake.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12584 posts
2689 upvotes
Ottawa
luvorange wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 9:47 pm
So you are saying it is possible for them to charge us the fund my ex employee got by commiting fraud?
Wow thats insane
You're fine, that's just an article based on interpretation and not a real court case study.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6942 posts
829 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
This is why banks want you to write on the back that it is for deposit only to account x when you deposit via mobile imaging. Whatever bank allowed the person to cash the cheque without following the instructions should not have accepted it. Then money mart would not have been able to accept it since it would have been for deposit only.

The employee committed fraud and the FI didn't follow their own procedures so seems there is no way the op can be responsible for this.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2486 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
iamthebest wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:21 am
Maybe he doesn't even know what's going on and it was a genuine mistake.
I HIGHLY doubt that.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15489 posts
1630 upvotes
Toronto
don242 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:26 am
This is why banks want you to write on the back that it is for deposit only to account x when you deposit via mobile imaging. Whatever bank allowed the person to cash the cheque without following the instructions should not have accepted it. Then money mart would not have been able to accept it since it would have been for deposit only.

The employee committed fraud and the FI didn't follow their own procedures so seems there is no way the op can be responsible for this.
What are you talking about? I've never had to write anything on any cheques of any size that I've "mobile deposited". I use it at least once a week haha. Done this on TD, CIBC, and Tangerine.

TD usually has a reminder after depositing the cheque to write "Deposited on _______ " so that you know its ok to throw away after 14 days.
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2486 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
deal_with_singh wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:30 pm
What are you talking about? I've never had to write anything on any cheques of any size that I've "mobile deposited". I use it at least once a week haha. Done this on TD, CIBC, and Tangerine.

TD usually has a reminder after depositing the cheque to write "Deposited on _______ " so that you know its ok to throw away after 14 days.
Both banks I use for mobile deposit explicitly tell you to write for "deposit only to account #..." on the back of the cheque (before you take the photo obviously), and for you to sign the cheque.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2377 posts
427 upvotes
Quebec
Frankie3s wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:06 am
"Marketplace tip: Write "for deposit to the account of the named payee only" on the face of cheques to keep outlets like Money Mart from cashing them."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/you-wrote-it-you-pay-it-1.783378
That cbc report story is insane. I use chèque very often, i might stop making chq because its clearly way too dangerous for fraud with the online deposit.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
2933 posts
1108 upvotes
don242 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:26 am

deal_with_singh wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:30 pm

Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:37 pm
Both banks I use for mobile deposit explicitly tell you to write for "deposit only to account #..." on the back of the cheque (before you take the photo obviously), and for you to sign the cheque.
They tell you to do it, but no one actually checks if you did it or not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6942 posts
829 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 4:27 am
They tell you to do it, but no one actually checks if you did it or not.
Then I would argue that the FI accepting the mobile deposit is at fault for accepting a cheque that doesn't follow the procedure. They are just enabling the double cashing then. So I don't know how someone like the OP could possibly be responsible if the FI is accepting a cheque without even following their own safeguards.
Aug 24, 2016
759 posts
362 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:37 pm
This has been standard for ATM deposits long before mobile deposit was thought of, but I have never bothered writing anything on the many cheques I've deposited. Still don't.
The thing is, the employee clearly was planning on committing fraud, so why would he/she write anything on the cheque?
It's certainly not the responsibility of the cheque issuer to be writing anything on the cheque.
Nov 13, 2013
294 posts
97 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:43 am
This has been standard for ATM deposits long before mobile deposit was thought of, but I have never bothered writing anything on the many cheques I've deposited. Still don't.
The thing is, the employee clearly was planning on committing fraud, so why would he/she write anything on the cheque?
It's certainly not the responsibility of the cheque issuer to be writing anything on the cheque.
Are you sure about that? If the employer had asked for another check and then cashed both the employer would be liable (Money Mart has won numerous cases with these facts). This is a little different in that the OP only wrote one check but who knows what kind of crap Moneymart will be able to successfully argue. Lawyer up.
Aug 24, 2016
759 posts
362 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:31 am
Are you sure about that? If the employer had asked for another check and then cashed both the employer would be liable (Money Mart has won numerous cases with these facts). This is a little different in that the OP only wrote one check but who knows what kind of crap Moneymart will be able to successfully argue. Lawyer up.
If the employer wrote 10 cheques to the employee, I guess he'd be responsible for 10 cheques.
But he didn't. He wrote one cheque, and is only responsible to pay out that one cheque one time.
If you pay your rent this month with a cheque, and your landlord deposits it through mobile deposit at 4 different banks, then finally takes it to a cheque cashing joint to be cashed a final time, are you responsible to pay out the value of that cheque 5 times because of what your landlord did?
Common sense. There is no way this particular incident would fly in court.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel