Tags:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15563 posts
1663 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:37 pm
Both banks I use for mobile deposit explicitly tell you to write for "deposit only to account #..." on the back of the cheque (before you take the photo obviously), and for you to sign the cheque.
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 4:27 am
They tell you to do it, but no one actually checks if you did it or not.
Fair enough, I'll pay more attention next time, but regardless I guess my point was I've never had issues not doing it
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!
May 22, 2007
331 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
luvorange wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:13 am
well this happened in January and the employee's LONG LONG GONE!!! of course I wouldn't keep that kind of person.
the reason I post it up this just today is, the phone call from apparent law firm called me today in the afternoon
Report ex employee to the police.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2398 posts
433 upvotes
Quebec
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:40 am
If the employer wrote 10 cheques to the employee, I guess he'd be responsible for 10 cheques.
But he didn't. He wrote one cheque, and is only responsible to pay out that one cheque one time.
If you pay your rent this month with a cheque, and your landlord deposits it through mobile deposit at 4 different banks, then finally takes it to a cheque cashing joint to be cashed a final time, are you responsible to pay out the value of that cheque 5 times because of what your landlord did?
Common sense. There is no way this particular incident would fly in court.
looks like common sense doesnt work in the cbc report with that particular case and many others case that money mart won...sometime, some law are just awfull
Aug 24, 2016
989 posts
455 upvotes
HyperTech wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 5:53 pm
looks like common sense doesnt work in the cbc report with that particular case and many others case that money mart won...sometime, some law are just awfull
I tend to not believe anything the media reports.
Show me real court documents, and that will convince me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35614 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 6:16 pm
I tend to not believe anything the media reports.
Show me real court documents, and that will convince me.
Should be public record. Feel free to order them. I'd be interested in looking @ such a case too...
I believe its freedom of information act.
Nov 1, 2010
389 posts
50 upvotes
luvorange wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 1:13 am
well this happened in January and the employee's LONG LONG GONE!!! of course I wouldn't keep that kind of person.
the reason I post it up this just today is, the phone call from apparent law firm called me today in the afternoon
You could always invite the apparent law firm to put down their claim and basis for it in writing at which point you might look into it. Phone requests are not worth much.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1424 posts
664 upvotes
Richmond
Phone calls from parties who identify themselves as a "law firm" or "collection agency" on the phone mean nothing. Wait until you get something specific in writing, by registered mail, from a party whose identity can be verified, citing a specific transaction and applicable law. Then you can investigate whether there is any likelihood of them having a successful claim.

Common sense would dictate that any party accepting a written promise of payment (i.e., a cheque) would be responsible for verifying its validity. If they accept it without sufficient verification, and it proves to be fraudulent, that should be entirely their responsibility and the fraudster's. That's why banks will only accept cheque deposits from clients with verified identities, and then they hold the cheque funds until verified. Anyone else who wants to be sure of payment requests a certified cheque, or calls the bank to have the cheque certified themselves, or requires other surety such as placing a lien on property. It shouldn't be up to the rest of us to support Money Mart's flawed business model. They just don't want to take the time or incur the cost to verify cheques.

But the law sometimes belongs to whoever can buy the interpretation they want, so don't assume that common sense applies. Wait for something in writing, and then check it out.
Jun 6, 2014
68 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I started wondering about this issue when I first saw the commercials for mobile deposits. What happens if the someone mobile deposits in two different banks?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16630 posts
1665 upvotes
GTA West
icedtea365 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 2:52 pm
I started wondering about this issue when I first saw the commercials for mobile deposits. What happens if the someone mobile deposits in two different banks?
Banks aren't stupid. You might get double-money at first but banks talk to each other and one transaction will be reversed. And if you have a pattern of things like this, your accounts will be closed. Then you might hear a knock at your door from your friendly local police dept. ;)
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel